The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mixer maintenance question for the really techie dudes
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

mixer maintenance question for the really techie dudes

hi all

perhaps you could help advise. i have a soundcraft ghost 32 ch console, and i like it a lot. i've had it for about 5 years. recently, about 5 of the inputs and three of the pots have been iffy. i can wiggle things and get it going again, but i don't dig it.

a little pro gold has been used on the cable ends, but thing are still not one hundred percent on those particular channels. a little wiggle and so forth and i can get things going, however when i power down and let the board sit for a day, the next time i get to it those channels are problematic again. the signal might cut out. i also got a graphite based quarter inch connector cleaner. i've tried that on the cables and inputs. i've also took the liberty of trying to use a small wire type brush to try to clean up the connections, (all of which are quarter inch in this instance), but i cannot make these channels reliable again, as the other channels are.

is there any good mixing board maintenance advice or information i could use to possibly correct this myself? it sounds easy enough. it must be dirty contacts or cold solder joints? just guessing. must be simple. i dont' want the down time and expense of having someone else do this if it's really the kind of basic maintenance i think it is.

nto only what to do, but what _not_ to do is welcome info. i know some things about this kind of maintenance, but would rather get more info from the hard core tech dudes.

thanks in advance for any info. i'm sure this kind of primer could be helpful to many folks here. i want to keep this mixer in good shape, i really like it.
Old 10th February 2003

Sounds like the input sockets have let go of the PCB and need re-soldering. Sometimes other components around the sockets can be affected as well. Further, most 1/4" jack and cheap XLR connectors have a limited life.

Watch out for INSERT jacks that use the switched contact to normal thru, these can breakdown after a while, especially if you don't use them. If suddenly the channel doesn't work, try inserting a jack a few times to clean the contact.

Hope this helps
Tim
Buzz Audio
Old 10th February 2003
One with big hooves

You might just need to pull the thing apart and clean the edge connectors or whatever connects those parts. Like Tim said, they might need to be resoldered or replaced. The best general advice I have is to go slow. Power the console down and uplug it before you pull it apart. Saftey first and all that. Watch the burnishing tools, they remove metal and once it's gone it's gone. Do it enough times and you'll have to replace the jack.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search