The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is anyone selling mixers anymore?
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

Is anyone selling mixers anymore?

I've finally got myself into perfect position to get a $2000 to $5000 mixer (16-24 channels, preferably) and i really can't find any good values out there. Over the summer there were a million eye catching deals and now i can't find a damn thing. I got outbid last second on some neotek series 1's on ebay and now i don't know who else has anything worth looking at.

Any help?!

Bob
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

ps. i see a few 8 channel neves in this price. is there a good resource to look up their module numbers to see which are the more desirable/better sounding ones? I'm not familiar with all the 31XXX stuff, etc. Thanks!
Old 10th February 2003
Harmless Wacko

XHipHop.

Never been a better time to get into analog than now.

CRAZY amount of great used desks that would have cost A LOT more just 1-2 years ago.

Here's one joint.

http://www.odysseyprosound.com/

Good luck.

SM.
Old 10th February 2003
One with big hooves

I just looked at that list, some decent deals are on there. Lots of stuff that might work well depending on how many sends and other features you need. The only thing to keep in mind is that the older it is the more TLC it's going to need when you first get it. If space and tech chops are limited you might be better off with an A&H or Soundcraft rather then a Neotek or MCI.
Old 10th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by XHipHop
ps. i see a few 8 channel neves in this price. is there a good resource to look up their module numbers to see which are the more desirable/better sounding ones? I'm not familiar with all the 31XXX stuff, etc. Thanks!
Try www.recordingconsoles.net
or www.phoenixaudio.net

I agree with Slipperman. There are some incredible analog deals out there.
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info/links. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any time on an Oram mixer or could point me to any reviews/info about them.

edit: i realize they are based on (or are completely) like some of the trident mixers. how close are they to the tridents and are they worth spending the extra cash for?
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

Indeed... there are some amazing analogue abargains to be had...

Last week i saw an Amek Angela in good condition for 8K aus.. about 4K U.S which i rekon is a steal. alas its gone now but it made seriously consider breaking my gear moratorium for this yr!

And i know someone who got a Neotek elite for less then 10K US!

Its just a mater of looking hard for something kool and being bale to lay the ham on the table when it comes up so another Slut dont take it from ya clutches as has happened to all of us im sure!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 10th February 2003
Quote:
Thanks for the info/links. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any time on an Oram mixer or could point me to any reviews/info about them.
edit: i realize they are based on (or are completely) like some of the trident mixers.
I hear mixed reviews of Oram.
I would say they are NOT 'completely like Trident'.
There are a lot of MCI consoles in your price range, maybe a Trident 65, a small Neotek or a very small Neve broadcast.
It's gonna take a bit of research on your part.
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

Criteria have their old MCI listed on Ebay right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23785
Old 11th February 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:

edit: i realize they are based on (or are completely) like some of the trident mixers. how close are they to the tridents and are they worth spending the extra cash for?
Google and other web searches should pull up plenty about Oram. I haven't heard too many positive things about the consoles in general. I can't even think of one that's installed in the NYC area, that should say something. Yes, Oram used to work for Trident back in the day. I also worked at a pizza place but I didn't make the pizza...

Supposedly the 80 Series "reissue" mic pre/EQ sounds like the original but it's way overpriced. Personally I'd rather own a Trident and hey, I do!
Old 14th February 2003
Here for the gear

Oram boards

Bob

I've mixed on an Oram before - a 28 I think. There were a couple modules missing because the factory power supply is lacking. The console is "fully loaded" with design flaws like that. It did sound pretty good, even though the solo buttons didn't work (and never had, according to the owner).

Good luck with your search.

Charles
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Guru

Xhiphop,
I just sent you a PM about a console.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear