The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Comp release time guestion
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

Comp release time guestion

Do you have to adjust the release time of your compressor or limiter to the tempo of the track, like you do with the delay & reverb time?
Or thus it depends on the track?

For example;
when mixing a live recording, do you keep the same amount of comp. and release to find a balance between the different tracks? To make the tracks sound similar for the whole recording or try something else on each track?

Maybe it's a stupid question, I wil find out soon I hope.
Old 9th February 2003
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't care about the time specs (I am aware of if it's generally capable of being on the fast or slow side though) on the attack or release of compressors....I don't watch meters on them either. I familiarize myself with the nature of the compressor/limiter (they all have different quirks), I set the attack to where I think the transient should be controlled...sometimes very little at all, and then set the release to where I think the track sounds natural (most of the time), or the release can be used to alter the natural decay of the instrument and provide more 'sustain' and/or pumping to the sound if so desired. There are no rules with this kind of thing, just set it to where you think sounds good. But that's the catch, learning what it is you want to hear. There is more art in this craft than science (or hell, there should be anyway). It's all about the music in the end, not the delivery of it. Nobody wants to hear a great recording of a ****ty tune, or a horrible recording of a great tune either (but I'll bet you $.02 the later will still sell).
Old 10th February 2003
One with big hooves

Re: Comp release time guestion

Quote:
Originally posted by ProFool

You got it. I'll vary the attack and release according to what's being played so it doesn't pump and do nasty things. Unless I want it to do nasty things of course.
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Comp release time guestion

!|¬}KDi]Originally posted by ProFool [/i]
Do you have to adjust the release time of your compressor or limiter to the tempo of the track, like you do with the delay & reverb time?
[/QUOTE]

Just to carry on from Jay, the attack/release settings have nothing to do with the tempo of the track, it's more the "vibe" you are looking for. I've never seen two people set a compressor up the same way and there is no "right" way, .....apart, obviously, from my way .

FWIW, I pump or hover around the pumping threshold quite a lot because I like the vibe of it. I usually find that the less happening in a track there is, the more room you have to use shorter release times to fatten a mix, if you have a busy track with lots of short release compression it soon gets messy. And then, you have every stage in between. Variation of compression settings is a good way to vary the focus on individual instruments in a mix, so you can bring things right up front or sink them to the back without altering the overall level.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try out tempo based settings on attack and release times, but you'd be looking at very small subdivisions of beats, like 64th notes, etc... (just remember your calculator!)
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

Iv asked this question because I’m working on a five track live recording that I didn’t recorded myself.
And I was experimenting with time based compression, it didn’t work out wel on all tracks so I’m doing some tracks over again.
Will see how it goes now.

Thank guys for your help

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search