The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum micing in isolation room?
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear
Drum micing in isolation room?

OK I know this really sucks but the only time I can lay down some drum tracks in my house is when the kids are sleeping so I have managed to put them in a 4X4 homemaid isloation room with foam all around. Why you ask? Because I can't stand using a drum module drums and I'm not happy with the sound of them and I don't want to wake the kids. Also, I have use to a nice room with good drum set up, nicely miced but there are times when I just want to do it at home. So what I'm doing is using the drum module for my kick with a pad (Alesis DM Pro), a real 1960's Ludwig wood snare, a real hi hat, and a combination ride/crash cymbal. Sucks but I've gotten better sound out of 1 mic messing around than the drum module ever sounded. That goes for Rolands modules as well.
So here's what I'm planning: put a 57 on the snare top, and two small diagram condensors (ADK) overheads, one aimed at the hi hat and the other at the snare which has the cymbal right above it (either aimed down at an angle or xy). And behind my head a Lawson L-47 MP tube mic.
Other than put them in another room, any suggestions?
Old 9th February 2003
One with big hooves

I'd probably use a mic on the snare and one other mic for the cymbals and hi-hat. Having four or five open mics in a small room doesn't sound like such a hot idea to me. Hell, I'd probably pick one mic and move it around until I found the spot where everything is balanced.
Old 9th February 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
OK I know this really sucks but the only time I can lay down some drum tracks in my house is when the kids are sleeping so I have managed to put them in a 4X4 homemaid isloation room with foam all around.
Dude, this was hilarious when I read this. Are you putting your kids or your drums in the room? Idea??? hmm......
Old 9th February 2003
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear
"Dude, this was hilarious"

You think it sounds hilarious, you should see all 6'1" of me in there with my drums. But it does do the job, I've just experienced with the snare mic so far through a Vintech 1081 with 1K boosted slightly and believe it or not sound pretty good.
Remember "a poor workman blames his tools."
Old 9th February 2003
Gear Nut

I still think the idea of putting the kids in an isolation booth is meritorious.
Old 9th February 2003
Gear Guru

I'm with Darwin. Tell the kids this is their new "clubhouse". They'll sleep soundly while you blast away in the living room.
Old 9th February 2003
One with big hooves

Totally. Let the kids hang in the tiny room. At one point I tried to measure what the smallest possible room I could record drums in was, I think I ended up at 9x10 for a 5 piece kit. Then I actually got to record drums in a room not much bigger and they sounded freakin' horrible. That was that, back to the big room for me.
Old 9th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Why don't you have their their ear drums removed and teach them sign language? I mean, until they're old enough to carry groceries, what're kids good for, really?

heh
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Nut

Seriously, you may want to be careful about a 4 by 4 room due to standing waves. A perfect square isn't really acoustically good.
Old 10th February 2003
One with big hooves

Ack! Good point, I forgot about that and was kind of dumbfounded at sticking a kit, a person and mics into a small room. Hopefully it doesn't have an 8' ceiling too. If it does... well... it'll make a great closet to store the drums in. I think the smallest iso booth I'd ever build and stick a person in is 5x6 and the smallest for an amp would be 3x4.
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear
I do have it rounded in the corners pretty well with foam. I do plan on making a bigger when the winter is over.
So you don't think this will catch on in the big studio ah.
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Nut

It might work if you can get some assymetry going on. I would try to make it as dead as possible.
Old 11th February 2003
One with big hooves

Oh yeah, rounded foam will really help those standing waves...

Moving onward, I don't think you'd want it totally dead. I'd aim for neutral. Small dead rooms don't really work well for anything except vocals IMHO. Even then totally dead with every surface covered in foam or whatever is bad. Can't you stick 'em in the garage with a spaceheater or something?
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Nut

Yeah, I forgot about that. I meant to say that about the ceiling. How tall is this room?
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

sorry if i sound stupid

but we have the metric system over here .
what do you mean by 4*4 ???

inches , yards , miles , feet

sounds if its tiny , so i hope yall dont talk about 4*4 miles ... hrhrhr
cause compared to that my room would be as big as a little birds cage ... heh
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear
"Oh yeah, rounded foam will really help those standing waves..."

I'm sorry Jay, but I don't know if you are being serious or not, sorry for the ignorance. Will it?

It is 4 feet by 4 feet by 7 feet tall.
Old 12th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I never thought I'd say this but you might be better off with either V Drums or good sampled triggers. They're just gonna sound better than trying to record drums in a closet, which isn't saying much.
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear
Tried the samples and modules (V drums etc.). The little experimenting I've done so far blows away any drum module or samples I've tried. (You're right though, that is not saying much). Believe me I've tried the module rout and tried it and tried it. I've run then into a E.L. Fatso, Distressors, C.S. Trakkers, through Neve equipment, through GT Vipre and Manley stuff and you just can't make them sound non offensive. Again the little experimenting I've done so far has yielded far superior results.
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear
OK,
I've been looking at my home studio (basically it's a room), and I can make a 7 or 8 sided isolation room that would be about 10X6 at it's furthest dimentions (when the weather is better, it hasn't been above 20 degrees farenheit all winter). Would this be an improvement? Would you make some of the inside walls wood that can be covered up if needed?
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Nut

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

Although I am not sure the above site will answer your question, I recommend you check it out. It has some pretty good background information on acoustics.

Quote:
The first two rooms (Studio and Control Room) are carefully modified from the ancient Golden Section dimensions. A Golden Section is an area that has a specific ratio of height to width to depth. The ratio is approximately 1 (high) by 1.6 (deep) by 2.6 (wide). When a room conforms to these dimensions, it will evenly reflect all frequencies so that any area sounds substantially the same. The ambience in the room will reinforce the tone of the instruments rather that sounding "muddy" or "thin".
This quote was taken from the following site.
http://www.studioforrecording.org/cottage.html

Again, try to avoid squareness.
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear
"Again, try to avoid squareness."

I've been trying all my life.grggt
Old 12th February 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Coldsnow
"Oh yeah, rounded foam will really help those standing waves..."

I'm sorry Jay, but I don't know if you are being serious or not, sorry for the ignorance. Will it?

It is 4 feet by 4 feet by 7 feet tall.
No. It totally won't help. At least the ceiling isn't 8 feet, then you'd really have some problems. After talking at length to Wes LaChot and a few other people with a clue here's the basic idea;

- Avoid building a square. A rectangle is much better because it'll be easier to figure out what the standing waves and problems are and treat them.
- Don't use room dimensions that can be divided into each other, no prime numbers. Odd sizes are good. 11x14x9 is good. 12x14x9 is not so good. 12x14x8 should really be avoided unless you like having the sound of the room drasticly change with every few footsteps.

Hope that helps,
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear
THank you very much for the help guys.
Would a 7 or 8 sided room be better (avoiding right angles)?
Old 13th February 2003
One with big hooves

Maybe, maybe not. After spending countless hours with Wes, other studio owners and designers planning the room that was never to be they all said that since I had a limited budget I would be much better off building a perfect rectangle then a 5 or 6 sided room or even just splaying the walls of the rectangle. The reason is because it's easier to figure out what the problems are and treat them accordingly. At least for the control room anyway. The live room was a bit different and had an iso booth in one corner and the one long wall was pushed out from 23' to 28' just because I had the space at the other end of it. Other then that it was a rectangle.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search