The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sattelite Radio ...
Old 8th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Sattelite Radio ...

I was having this conversation some time back with one of the chaps that pops in here occsasionaly (from my neighborhood). ... His feeling was that sattelite radio is going to revitalise the industry, Essentially do for the biz what cable tv did ... 3 channels to how many now !!

Give more good bands a shot of being signed to something meaningful and actually getting their music out, even if it is a niche market. Would help pioneer a new distribution system, most likely via the internet or even utilise the big boys. Assuming a good percentage of freee downloading can be solved ... everybody sells more product.. we all make a few more peso's ... and smile a little more rollz

Watcha ya'll think bout this sattelite thing heh
Old 8th February 2003
Here for the gear

Re: Sattelite Radio ...

Quote:
Originally posted by ghoost
Watcha ya'll think bout this sattelite thing heh
Depends, most are low res mp3 and sound really bad, I know on my DSS it sounds terrible. Unless they use higher definition, or less compression it could do more harm than good.

My thoughts are, they will keep it as cheap as possible, using less bandwidth. Hey, DTV looks great, but if you really see beyond the color preservation, there are tons of artifacts. Another thing, whoever controls what goes in the server, yea server, there is nobody there spinning a disc, that's what comes out...so garb in garb out. I have already noticed extreme level changes from song to song. Gets annoying after a while.
--LTL
Old 9th February 2003
Motown legend

I have an XM radio.

The sound quality is surprisingly variable from really decent to pretty mediocre with little rhyme or reason. The coding is AAC which has great potential compared to MP3 or RealAudio.

The programming is often great, certainly far better than DMX.
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
The programming is often great, certainly far better than DMX.
Therin lies the point ....

Let's assume that the quality issues are solved. Will the medium prove to be a viable market place for new material .. creative programming .. exploit less frequented genres, giving an open window to new bands (worthy of being heard) that presently have little, if any, chance of cracking a playlist much less hitting a mass market? As long as it can be purchased through legitimate means, the industry profit line should go up .. instead of the continuing declne we all continue to lament about Which does nothing but benifit everybody here

Opinions anybody ... we're all in this together

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search