The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
spdif -< adat convertor
Old 7th February 2005
Gear Maniac

spdif -< adat convertor

What I would really like is something that accepts 4 spdif inputs and converts to a single ADAT output.

Is there even such a beast?

Thanks in advance!
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

The Z-Sys 8.8a does exactly that, both input & output.
Old 8th February 2005
Gear Maniac

Nice! Thanks.
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

aes/ebu > < adat

I need a box doing back and forth aes/ebu - Adat lightpipe format conversion. I've seen there is this Alesis AI4 box that does exactly what I need. It is cheaper than Z-Sys. I wonder: is there any quality issue with such boxes to be aware of, or just easygoing format conversion bears nothing to be frightened of?
grazie
massimo
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

I've got an AI4, works flawless. Got two Nuverbs connected to it working fine and they're really picky.
Old 10th February 2005
Gear Head

Fraz + Massimo,

we at MUTEC are manufacturing a converter box which is called FORMAT CHANGER multichannel aa. You can have a look at its specs at:

www.mutec-net.de/content.php?lng=e&pg=fcmaa

This converter could meet your requirements to convert from AES/EBU or S/PDIF to ADAT lightpipe (or vice versa!). Additionally, sampling rate conversion can be added on all channels referenced to external word/super clock or AES/EBU and ADAT. Also bidirectional transfers between both formats are possible. If you need further details, please let me know.

Regards, Chris.
Old 10th February 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Peters
Fraz + Massimo,

we at MUTEC are manufacturing a converter box which is called FORMAT CHANGER multichannel aa. You can have a look at its specs at:

www.mutec-net.de/content.php?lng=e&pg=fcmaa

This converter could meet your requirements to convert from AES/EBU or S/PDIF to ADAT lightpipe (or vice versa!). Additionally, sampling rate conversion can be added on all channels referenced to external word/super clock or AES/EBU and ADAT. Also bidirectional transfers between both formats are possible. If you need further details, please let me know.

Regards, Chris.
The specs don;t mention spdif at all - can it accept 4 spdif connections and render a single ADAT stream from them?

Thanks
Old 10th February 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by fraz
The specs don;t mention spdif at all - can it accept 4 spdif connections and render a single ADAT stream from them?
Fraz,

sorry for confusing you. That is a standard description of the unit. Yes, you can feed its inputs with S/PDIF and AES/EBU signals (also simultaneously). But it can only output AES/EBU and converted ADAT signals, no S/PDIF! So, you will get out your S/PDIF source signals as AES/EBU and ADAT as well at the same time.

Regards, Chris.
Old 10th February 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Peters
[Yes, you can feed its inputs with S/PDIF and AES/EBU signals (also simultaneously). But it can only output AES/EBU and converted ADAT signals, no S/PDIF! So, you will get out your S/PDIF source signals as AES/EBU and ADAT as well at the same time.
OK, let me make sure we are talking about the same thing...

I want to be able to input 4 spdif channels and mux them to ADAT like so:
  • spdif1 -> ADAT[1,2]
    spdif2 -> ADAT[3,4]
    spdif3 -> ADAT[5,6]
    spdif4 -> ADAT[7,8]
Does your unit do that?

If so, how much is it, and where can I order it?

Thanks!
Old 10th February 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by fraz
  • spdif1 -> ADAT[1,2]
    spdif2 -> ADAT[3,4]
    spdif3 -> ADAT[5,6]
    spdif4 -> ADAT[7,8]
[/B]
Exactly it does, but you can not change the channel assignment. It is like you have described. You can also add sampling rate conversion if your S/PDIF input signals are not synchronized to each other, which is necessary for conversion into the ADAT format. The clock reference can be taken from the Word Clock input or from one of the digital audio inputs.

Please note one thing. The AES inputs and outputs are designed as 25pin connector. Its pin assignment is compatible with Yamaha, Mackie or AKAI prof. and so on. So you have to get an adapter cable additionally.

As for distribution, we have just started a new business relationship with David Stunning Distribution in the United States. Please ask these guys for further help, I will send them a notice.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Regards, Chris.
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

Does it work with high sample rates? Like when you use adat as 4 channel @ 96 or 2 ch. @192kHz ?

There is a RME box that does that, but it is bigger and more expensive than Mutec.
Old 11th February 2005
Gear Head

Matous,

unfortunately it works only with up to 50kHz with ADAT and up to 108kHz with AES/EBU. For my understanding, in which situation you need 2ch ADAT with 192kHz?
By the way, the RME box does only 96kHz with ADAT and AES/EBU as well, no 192kHz!

Regards, Chris.
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

well... ok 192 isn't important ;-), but thanks for correction.

I'd like use RME card that has 3x ADAT as digital interface with other devices that have aes/ebu or spdif only (for ex. Lavry Blue), 96kHz is important, 192 not. The best thing is to buy Lynx aes16, I know, but I had rme for pretty cheap so... ;-). Maybe in the end I'll sell it and buy Lynx for simplicity.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search