The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ADAT Bridge + TC3K Again
Old 7th February 2003
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Jens's Avatar
 

ADAT Bridge + TC3K Again

If someone read my post from 3-4 days ago you know that
I got aTC3000 to go with my MIX system.

Everything seemed to work fine til yesterday when suddenly input channel 7
wont let any sound thru. Input Channel 3-6 works great, havent check input channel 8 yet ,got my mic there and it not in the patch.

Heres how everything connects

Group A CH 1-8 connects to ALESIS AI-3
Group B CH 9-16 to RME Hammerfall.
TC3000 connects to the ADAT bridge via SPDIF

When the SPDIF I/O is in use I loose channel 1 and 2 on the AI-3
I can live with that (rather have the tc hooked up digital than going thru the AI.3)

If i choose to switch back to optical in the I/O settings in PT iput channel 7 starts to work as usual. BUT the thing is that it worked in SPDIF mode before and now it doesn´t seem to work at all. PLEASE ANYONE, let me know how to solve this.

/Jens
Old 7th February 2003
  #2
Re: ADAT Bridge + TC3K Again

Quote:
Originally posted by Jens
If someone read my post from 3-4 days ago you know that
I got aTC3000 to go with my MIX system.

Everything seemed to work fine til yesterday when suddenly input channel 7
wont let any sound thru. Input Channel 3-6 works great, havent check input channel 8 yet ,got my mic there and it not in the patch.

Heres how everything connects

Group A CH 1-8 connects to ALESIS AI-3
Group B CH 9-16 to RME Hammerfall.
TC3000 connects to the ADAT bridge via SPDIF

When the SPDIF I/O is in use I loose channel 1 and 2 on the AI-3
I can live with that (rather have the tc hooked up digital than going thru the AI.3)

If i choose to switch back to optical in the I/O settings in PT iput channel 7 starts to work as usual. BUT the thing is that it worked in SPDIF mode before and now it doesn´t seem to work at all. PLEASE ANYONE, let me know how to solve this.

/Jens
The TC optical connections are not of the ADAT type(pass thru 8 channels), they are stereo only(2 channels at a time).

The M3000 has a page which lets you select which pair you want(1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8).

Lastly on DIGI's hierarchy, the SPDIF only works on the first unit(this is for sync purposes) only on channel 1-2.
Old 7th February 2003
  #3
Gear Addict
 
Jens's Avatar
 

Thrillfactor,

Thanks for you quick reply,

>The TC optical connections are not of the ADAT type(pass thru 8 channels), they are stereo only(2 channels at a time).

The M3000 has a page which lets you select which pair you want(1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8).>

God knows if tried em all, Maybe my description of the setup was a bit vague?

The problem is that the TC is connected to the ADAT BRIDGE 24 via SPDIF (CH 1-2) not TOS/ADAT.
ALSO the AI-3 is connected to ADAT on group A (CH1-8)

By doing this CH 1-2 is dedicated to the TC,and not avilable by the AI-3.

The other channels, 3-6 works for sure. But not channel seven. As I wrote, im not sure if channel 8 works.hopefully? Shouldnt all channels except from 1-2 be avilable?

The M3000 page your refering to is set to 1-2, but it won´t probably make any diffrence, since it´s connected via SPDIF as I understand that it only works when using TOS/ADAT.

The only thing that would let me use channel 7 again is to choose optical
instead of SPDIF in I/O settings menu. This of course means that the
TC can´t be used. Hope this helps?

/Jens
Old 7th February 2003
  #4
Jax
Lives for gear
 

Jens, try connecting the M3000 to the ADAT Bridge's AES/EBU i/o. The ADAT Bridge should be set to receive 'digital' for channel 1-2 input. Leave all other input connections set to optical.
Old 8th February 2003
  #5
Lives for gear
 
groundcontrol's Avatar
 

Actually, there is a way to get the SPDIF i/o on channel 1-2 of the "B" side of the adat bridge. (That would be channels 9-10.) I remember it was a lot of fiddling around in the config. page but I once had a setup where I was using AES i/o on channels 1-2, lightpipe A for 3-8, SPDIF for 9-10 and lightpipe B again for 11-16.

What an improvement in the way i/o config. is now handled with the 192... finally!

BTW, if worst comes to worst, why don't you just switch you AI3 on the B side (9-16) and the Hamerfall in A (1-8)...

Cheers!
Old 8th February 2003
  #6
Jax
Lives for gear
 

Have you considered going with a simpler setup? You might take the Alesis thing out of the picture. Seems a little wack.
Old 8th February 2003
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Jens's Avatar
 

Jax & groundcontrol, thanks for you suggestions

I´m gonna try both tomorrow.

If neither works I saw an 882/20 for sale,perhaps thats the way to go?
Connect the TC to the SPDIF on the 882 and use the other 6 channels for old outboard/synths.

Jens
Old 9th February 2003
  #8
Jax
Lives for gear
 

With the 882|20, it depends if you want to stay 24 bit. I don't know if the 882|20 has 24 bit AES/EBU or SPDIF, but it might not. I think there are some older 16 bit 888's that have 24 bit AES/EBU, but they're harder to find. Only matters if it matters, of course.
Old 9th February 2003
  #9
Rab
KMR Audio
 
Rab's Avatar
 

Jens

FYI the 882|20 doesn't have AES/EBU but it will pass 24-bit through the SPDIF port.

Using one for "rough and ready" returns seems like a good idea and if you're having problms with your routing, this will certainly be very straightforward. Also, if you use the other 6 I/O's for things like JV1080's etc, the D/A convertors are so poor on these old modules I don't think it's going to make much difference. In any case, its certainly a step up from your AI3.

Old 9th February 2003
  #10
Gear Addict
 
Jens's Avatar
 

I tried groundcontrols suggestion first.No offense Jax, always easier not having to change cables.

It works. Now I got all 8 Channels from AI-3 working.

Rab, It was a good idea til I remembered that we are gonna move the computer, adat bridge and chassi out of the CR to a "machine room".
The AI-3 are still gonna be in the rack along side all modules and it seems far easier getting long ADAT cables the DIGI ones.

Is the sonic diffrence between the AI-3 (24bit) against the 882/20 really that big? And how did you know that I got a 1080?
To prove that you´re psychic, name one more of my synths. It may be keyboard or module. A bag of "Ahlgrens bilar" could be yours. Thats Swedish Candy.

Everyone, thanks for your help.
Jens
Old 9th February 2003
  #11
Rab
KMR Audio
 
Rab's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally posted by Jens
And how did you know that I got a 1080?
To prove that you´re psychic, name one more of my synths. It may be keyboard or module. A bag of "Ahlgrens bilar" could be yours. Thats Swedish Candy.
That'll be that webcam I installed in your room when you were on holiday last year (you obviously haven't changed your light bulb in the last few months)... I'm going to take a stab at Nord Lead - I'm counting on Ahlgrens Bilar being a pseudonym for some obscure Scandinavian narcotic rather than a Swedish variant of Jelly Babies!?

Old 9th February 2003
  #12
Gear Addict
 
Jens's Avatar
 

Close but no cigar,

My next door studio neighbours got a nord rack, but it wont get you a bag of Bilar. You probably put the camera in the wrong room, they got a 1080 too.

Jens
Old 10th February 2003
  #13
Rab
KMR Audio
 
Rab's Avatar
 

Damn it... I paid good money for that information!

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump