The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Power pulsar
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Nut

Power pulsar

Does anyone hear use the creamware power pulsar with 15 built in dsp's? I havent heard it yet but it seems to be quite high-end. Im thinking of buying it along with Apogee converters. I know a VERY famous and well established producer here in LA that swears by it. Is it any good?
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

I use a couple of the CW cards as 'sound-cards-on-steriods' for my DAW rig. They are excellent for a couple purposes:

1. Fliexible graphical routing of digital signals between hardware ports and drivers [totally unbeatable for this; my CW cards will *always* be an asset in this regard]

2. There are some *stellar* synths & decent effects that run on the cards. The Zarg synths and Timeworks compressors and reverb are all as good as you will see in the digital realm.

3. Plus, total project recall, full mixing and MIDI automation capabilities, blah blah blah...

Lots of upside.

Downsides:

a. Cards are really temperamental about the DAW hardware they run in. You basically have to build a DAW around them.

b. Next to no 3rd party support. You're getting on the Creamware bus --this is probably why the platform hasn't caught on more.

That said, it really might be one of the best kept secrets in DAW-land. YMMV.

Hans Zimmer is also a big proponent of the CW package, fwiw.
Old 7th February 2003
Gear Nut

Thanks six. Im thinking the power pulsar, + apogee ad8000 + Logic platinum + some vintage preamps and compressors. I think that would make for a wonderful gr8 sounding set-up that will cost me about 20k instead of having to dish out twice as much money for a pro tools HD rig. Hold on let me do sum maths here:

Powerpulsar= 2000
Ad8000= 5000
Logic= 800
Pre's and comps= 5000
TOTAL= $12800

Pro tools Hd3= 11000
AD8000= 5000
192 digital= 2000
pres and comps= 5000
TOTAL= $23000

The first setup is about 10000k cheaper, but will I be compromising quality and performance? I love Pro Tools, but I have pockets deeper than my ex girlfriends p#$$y!
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

AP....

If you are serious about the CW cards shoot me an email @ [email protected]....

I have a Pulsar II (Plus configuration - with AES EBU as well as Balanced Analog, SPDIF and 2X ADAT I/O)and Scope SRB (the Powerpulsar expansion card)....together this gives 21 DSP chips...for sale VERY cheap. I have all the software, plugins, synths, etc...for these cards as well.

I can provide references and I am very close to your area.

Reason for selling: I run Logic OSX exclusively now...and CW hasn't released Mac OSX drivers or software (and are non-committal about dates for release)....and the cards are now sitting unused.

Cheers
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

the CW stuff is great for synths, especially if you spend a little extra for the good ones [Pro One, MiniMax, Zargs'...] --you will likely have no regrets there.

I personally complement my CW rig with a UAD card, and will likely add another in the next few weeks. The compressors on the UAD are very usable and sound damn good to my ears [for digital comps].

Creamware is a bit slow to release drivers, and doesn't have the best customer relations, as mentioned.

You can also get the cards *really* cheap aftermarket. They are imo a total steal if you don't mind building your DAW around them.

Good Luck!
Old 8th February 2003
Gear Nut

Thanx Six, yer help is much appreciated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search