The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KEANE
Old 4th February 2005
Here for the gear

KEANE

Does anyone out there know anything about the Keane sessions for - 'Hopes and Fears'? I think it is one of the best sounding records I've heard in a looooong time. So smooth and present, and the production is outstanding. I give it an A++!

Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

I have been celebrating this album for sometime now in the GS forum, I thought I was the only one. I think it's the best album made after nirvanas nevermind.
Old 4th February 2005
Here for the gear

now that's a statement!
Old 4th February 2005
TML
Lives for gear

Nice warm vocals....air........two thumbs up. So what's the deal...vocal...drums....keys....and the powerbook plays loops...bass......and pads????
Tim
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by difrntdrummer
now that's a statement!

it's true man, my 12 pack cd case is full of pink floyd, beatles, zeppelin, nevermind.. and now keane. well, and U2 also. But Keane, is the best "new" band, since nirvana. Is what I ment to say really..
Old 4th February 2005
Here for the gear

Yup. You got it. I've seen them on one of the late night shows a while back and it was amazing. Sounded just like the record. I think they are going to be on SNL this Saturday - check it out!
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

I remember there was something in Sound on Sound a few months ago on Andy Green (is that right?) and the Keane album.

Maybe try and dig out a copy.

R.
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

The vocals were done using a Brauner VM1 > 1073 > 1176 this is as much as I can remember from SOS.

Peace

DD
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jose Mrochek
it's true man, my 12 pack cd case is full of pink floyd, beatles, zeppelin, nevermind.. and now keane. well, and U2 also. But Keane, is the best "new" band, since nirvana. Is what I ment to say really..
I do not consider Keane a "band." I think that term is used too loosely these days. Keane (agreed, a fine recording and a good album if you are into that sort of thing) is not a band. It is not rock. It is the "Savage Garden" of 2005. Remember them? Albeit, they do have catchy songs with good melodies and the guy sings well, but the lack of lyrical depth and the sound of the songs lends itself more to a "pop product" than band. It sounds like they wanted to mix Cold Play with a more pop flavor. They definitely have talent, but it just sounds like packaging to me.

Oh... and I'd take Cold Play and Velvet Revolver over Keane anyday (as far as best band since Nirvana).
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 84K
I do not consider Keane a "band." I think that term is used too loosely these days. Keane (agreed, a fine recording and a good album if you are into that sort of thing) is not a band. It is not rock. It is the "Savage Garden" of 2005. Remember them? Albeit, they do have catchy songs with good melodies and the guy sings well, but the lack of lyrical depth and the sound of the songs lends itself more to a "pop product" than band. It sounds like they wanted to mix Cold Play with a more pop flavor. They definitely have talent, but it just sounds like packaging to me.
i sort of agree with you.
i wouldn't compare them to Savage Garder though.
i love the quality of the album and "somewhere only we know" is a great piece of writting.
that said...
it is definetly a "pop product", but a good pop product, "good" IMHO, in the sense that it is not pop in the same realm as the brittney spears/boy bands of today.
are they a band? i dunno, i guess.

peace,

FM

FM is sanitized for your protection.
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

3 words.

Mark 'Spike' Stent
Old 4th February 2005
TML
Lives for gear

Yeah...it's not Coldplay...or Radiohead...or DADA....the greatest trio to ever put poetry and music together.......lol........but.......they have a nice sound...I think thats the point........
Old 4th February 2005
mmm... not keen...

I'm with 84K , FMNYC & syra on this one.... a bit too watered down fer my tastes..

PLUS!!!! NO GUITARS!!!! I mean what's all that about!!!!???

dfegad Keane

....one fatty l8r....

...whew... glad i got that out of my system...
I'm not really that anti em... (they've sold more records than i have so far..) Keane are the sort of band my mum would listen to... whereas i'm more into the sorta stuff that ... well... isn't...heh

Oh well!! - to each their own...one man's meat - another man's poison etc etc etc..
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by syra
3 words.

Mark 'Spike' Stent
Amazing Mix.

I like keane, pop, not pop, U2 is also pop. Is pop short for popular music ? well.. they are pretty popular I guess. POP is not a bad word tutt I put Keane over coldplay or radiohead in a minute. Maybe not so Oasis, I forgot about them. They kick ass, dammit anything that comes from the UK kicks as. I want to move there I always tell my mom she should have had me there, maybe get some extra musical neurons heh
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jose Mrochek
Amazing Mix.

I like keane, pop, not pop, U2 is also pop. Is pop short for popular music ? well.. they are pretty popular I guess. POP is not a bad word tutt I put Keane over coldplay or radiohead in a minute.
Pop-Popular Music.... do you take everything so literal? Keane over Cold Play and Radiohead???? Cool. Good for you. Are you related to the band or something? That is the only way that would make sense to me.

POP music is exactly what you are.... to call a package (Keane) above Cold Play and Radiohead based on their first and only album is the Pop mentality. Pop is all about the now rarely has staying power. They make one album and now they have blown out Radiohead who has made 5 stellar records??? Get your head checked dude. Little girls can get away with that whole N Sync-Britney Spears thing, but for a grown man.....
Old 5th February 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by muziqfreek
dfegad Keane
ditto

Their previous single was irrating me every frekkin' day.
I am wondering if that's why i can stand the new one.
They belong in the same league as that other horrible band Starsailor...
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

I recently mastered some live Keane tracks for a CD maxi and i can say the guy sings in tune....in fact it sounds to me like he has some in-built melodyne!........good songs, good production....pretty simple, really!
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Keane is featured in Keyboard magazine this month. While the article doesn't contain the same sort of technical detail as one would find in Tape Op or Mix, there are some good notes about the recording sessions.

The only thing I found bothersome was how much credit they were being given (and how much they freely took) for using a Yamaha CP-70. The article made it sound like Keane discovered some rare, little known and long lost classic instrument that others somehow overlooked. They even recorded it through a guitar amp (gasp)! The novelty!!!

Ahem. Aside from being my personal favorite instrument, the CP-70 is still used by many artists (U2, Joe Jackson, etc.)

I find the Keane album enjoyable, but I fear they may not have the staying power of some of their contemporaries. Radiohead has proven to be an amazingly talented group, hands down. Coldplay is still interesting, though I'm curious where they'll go from here. Travis is fun, but their albums have gotten progressively less interesting. Oh, and Doves kick complete ass!

-Synth80s
Old 5th February 2005
Gear Maniac

I would never call a certain music gay. Like Keane for instance.
On the other hand, piano pop with no guitars.........
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 84K
Pop-Popular Music.... do you take everything so literal? Keane over Cold Play and Radiohead???? Cool. Good for you. Are you related to the band or something? That is the only way that would make sense to me.

POP music is exactly what you are.... to call a package (Keane) above Cold Play and Radiohead based on their first and only album is the Pop mentality. Pop is all about the now rarely has staying power. They make one album and now they have blown out Radiohead who has made 5 stellar records??? Get your head checked dude. Little girls can get away with that whole N Sync-Britney Spears thing, but for a grown man.....

I like britney spears. I actually love her, I'm madly in love with her

dude.. I was talking about personal taste. i have the OK computer radiohead album, and even though it's impressive I got bored pretty quik. so yeah, I like the keane album almost all the way through, and can listen to it again, and again. It very rarely happens to me. so I was happy when I bought it. You are taking a simple taste issue into I said one band is better than the other. I simply think they all are great, I personaly like keane now. I may change my mind later.
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by threm
I would never call a certain music gay. Like Keane for instance.
On the other hand, piano pop with no guitars.........
Music is sexual.... what does that make Keane? You got it! Like Seinfeld said, "Not that there's anything wrong with that...."
Old 5th February 2005
Gear Maniac

You get it too hard, 84K. Everyone's got his own opinion, taste. I myself, for example, don't like Radiohead at all. And I don't like The Beatles (and never did) and put the new 21st century Solomon Burke album over any of their records, or rate Jay-Z with his 99 Problems over any of Dio records. There are records I dislike and some of them are widely popular but I don't think I can proove people wrong. Perhaps, it isn't very wise to compare those genres, but you get the idea - you can't tell me if it has to be sexual or not and what is sexual and what's not. Oh, yea, and may I say NSYNC is great and their performance of "Got Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You" is wonderfull no matter what you say. I say lots of great songs are recorded nowdays.

There is one big problem today - limiting. Many great mixes and songs are ruined by this loudness race. That's a sad thing if you're an audiophile.
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only thing I found bothersome was how much credit they were being given (and how much they freely took) for using a Yamaha CP-70. The article made it sound like Keane discovered some rare, little known and long lost classic instrument that others somehow overlooked. They even recorded it through a guitar amp (gasp)! The novelty!!!
That is called marketing. In the 80's everyone thought Bruce Hornsby invented the piano. That was because it hadn't been heard in that context for a number of years. It is the old saying "everything old is new again" People who didn't grow up on it (Or didn't know it) find it and try and make it their own. Cracks me up actually but I would like it if they would make it come back in style. Like everything, it is great until someone beats it back down again and over uses it.

Oh yeah anyone around hear heard of a B-3 or a Wurlitzer? I just found them and re-invented them.... heh
Old 5th February 2005
Here for the gear

GEEZ - i never said these guys invented or re-invented the wheel. everyone has their opinion on what music they like and how it moves them - obviously quite strongly either way in this case. whether the record is 'manufactured' or the band isn't a 'band', Stent is a stud either way you see it and you can't deny the production value on that record.
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Bought the album when it came out and thought it was a really good album. Great pop songs.It kind of bothers me a little bit that there's no guitars in there but the result is still great. In my opinion, both Coldplay and Radiohead gave us better albums though.
Spike Stent's work is as always, amazing.
I'm going to see Keane live next week in Montreal actually. I'm curious to see how their music translates on stage since they're only 2 musicians including drummer. The singer doesn't play anything...
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

84k -
velvet revolver? you're kidding on that one right? that has to be one of the least inspired recordings I've ever had.. completely mailed it in. Almost as bad as Audioslave (how could RATM + Soundgarden be SO wimpy sounding?)
"-)
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo Goler
You get it too hard, 84K. Everyone's got his own opinion, taste. I myself, for example, don't like Radiohead at all. And I don't like The Beatles (and never did) and put the new 21st century Solomon Burke album over any of their records, or rate Jay-Z with his 99 Problems over any of Dio records.

There is one big problem today - limiting. Many great mixes and songs are ruined by this loudness race. That's a sad thing if you're an audiophile.
I respect opinion. I do not think you have to argee with me. I just hate it when a cheesey pop group is taken too seriously. I feel the same way about Dido. They are the same as Keane to me.

I love Solomon Burke too. Jay is cool. They are real in what they do. They make music that happens to be great instead of making a product that happens to be good. That is the difference. You don't like the Beatles. That's cool. You have to respect them though. Some people are color blind.. I don't hate them if they don't like the color blue. They are blind. People who don't respect (at the very least) the Beatles are musically color blind.

I agree with the loudness race comments.
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by difrntdrummer
GEEZ -whether the record is 'manufactured' or the band isn't a 'band', Stent is a stud either way you see it and you can't deny the production value on that record.
Great Production!
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by biggator6
84k -
velvet revolver? you're kidding on that one right? that has to be one of the least inspired recordings I've ever had.. completely mailed it in. Almost as bad as Audioslave (how could RATM + Soundgarden be SO wimpy sounding?)
"-)

I agree about Audioslave. The song writing is lame. The preformances are boring. The recording-mixes are great, but that is about it.

VR kicks ass. Great playing, well written songs, unique melodies and harmonies, fat in your face mixes. The record is my pick for best of 2004. What did you dislike about it? I can't imagine... WAY DIFFERENT Than Audio Slave! VR has the total package. I like the VR album much more than the last STP or GNR records.
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

i like Keane. manufactured or not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search