The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Benchmark DAC-1 96k version vs 192 version?
Old 3rd February 2005
Benchmark DAC-1 96k version vs 192 version?

Anyone done the upgrade?

If so whats it like?

I belive they are 192 as standard now

I think I have a 96k version and may send it in for the upgrade.

Does the 'upsample' to 192 make it a better sounding A/D than before? Or different sounding? I love mine so much I am scared to upgrade!!!!

Old 4th February 2005
OMF
Gear Head

Hmm

what's with this upgrade? I have heared talk about it, but there is nothing on Benchmark's website.

greets

Tim
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

Re: Benchmark DAC-1 96k version vs 192 version?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I love mine so much I am scared to upgrade!!!!

I know what you mean, Jules! I too love my 96k DAC-1 for mastering and am thinking of getting a second one for an analogue chain now I've been so taken with the Chandler LTD-2 compressors - that's a whole thread in itself, the Chandlers are seriously fab if words like thick, rich, creamy or warm describe the kind of sound you like. As I've said in Mr Blackwood's forum, I don't think they'll suit everything that comes through the door but maybe half the mixes I get would benefit

One feature of the DAC-1 I find very useful for editing/checking/QC is the good headphone amp.
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

Where did you get the 96k examples? I think mine to be of the first batch and it is capable of 28 to 192 kHz.

Ruphus
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

PS: I think I just rememberred that the first DAC-1 were capable of 192 kHz, but only meant for 96k, right?
Ok, then forget about my remark.
Old 4th February 2005
Mastering Moderator

Nigel
Get one for your analog chain!
And keep us updated on the Chandlers!

If I remember well they were all 192 kHz compatible but only capable of playing back a 192 kHz s/r stream with 96 kHz bandwidth.

I've got a mirror face and a standard one.

Atticus, Bob O. John Siau....any ideas?
Old 4th February 2005
Gear Addict

I had the upgrade done. I AM VERY PLEASED THAT I DID IT! For $50 you get the chip and they can give you a dented pot! I did not have a dented pot on my 96K version. The 192 chip does sound better. I thought I was hearing things but after talking with guys at Benchmark they said it does make an improvement. BEST $50 I spent in awhile!
Old 4th February 2005
Mastering Moderator

is it user upgradeable?

How do you recognise them? Pretty sure my mirror face one is 96K only, the other one has a semi-stepped volume pot.

Jules!

who to contact now that Atticus doesn't work there anymore?

if it sounds better we want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Riccardo
Nigel
Get one for your analog chain!
And keep us updated on the Chandlers!
Hi Riccardo,

I won't be going ahead right away, but this is definitely on the cards. With a bit of juggling the analogue chain's ADC will be the HEDD, so that should keep things sweet.

I seem to recall Dave Hill suggested that HEDD processing should be post-compression, and my proposed setup would agree with that (also in all-digital mode where it follows the Sintefex) though I can't imagine it being a major problem elsewhere. Anyone else have thoughts on it?
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

I got the 192 one from Nevelicious and it is fabulous.What a wonderful, clean sound.Now if mama can pull me away from the speakers long enough, I might be able to eat a bite.
Old 4th February 2005
Lives for gear

LOL. I didn't even find out about the upgrade until I heard about it here a few weeks ago. I guess I'll have to send mine in....heh
Old 5th February 2005
Lives for gear

Yes!

Just had it done. I had originally called Benchmark because the pot was making noise. I'm not sure I can hear any difference after the new chip. Especially since I record at 88.2. But, they sent me a demo while mine was in the shop. Jaime was a pleasure to talk to and extremely helpful. I was surprised, I figured they were another huge faceless corporation. Not the case.

Don
Old 10th March 2005
Gear Maniac

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding info on this upgrade?

Thanks.
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

I am also interested in the upgrade info. Hope it's user upgradable.
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

Heard about it at AES, but I haven't had a break long enough from work that I can be without it...

I guess I'll have to buy a second so I can do this... heh

--Ben
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

As far as I know it is not user upgradeable, you have to send it in to Benchmark. This has been on my list of things to do for a while, so maybe now is the time...
Old 29th April 2005
I have an older DAC-1 (I have had it for about a year and a half) how do I know if it has the 192 chip in it or not?? I would assume it is the 96khz version.

Okay so let me see if I have this right. If I have an older 96khz version, I can play 192khz source info back but it will only play at 96khz right? It will still work but it will not playback at 192 so it will "sound" like 96 to me?

How long does it take Benchmark to turn around the unit for the mod? Also $50 right, and just contact Benchmark directly?
Old 29th April 2005
Lives for gear

Michael,

A good way to tell is by the pot. If it has grooves then it's new version. Mine had none and started to make noise after a couple months. Call Jamie and read him your serial number and he'll tell you.
Ben,
Same here - I told them how much I used it and they sent a "demo" to use while mine was worked on.
Old 29th April 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S
Michael,

A good way to tell is by the pot. If it has grooves then it's new version. Mine had none and started to make noise after a couple months. Call Jamie and read him your serial number and he'll tell you.
Ben,
Same here - I told them how much I used it and they sent a "demo" to use while mine was worked on.
Hello Don

May I ask, Jamie who and what's the number? I'm in Australia and of course payed a small fortune for my DAC-1. My pot is smooth but unbearably noisy which I don't think is right for a device of this calibre.

Many thanks,

Peter
Old 29th April 2005
Lives for gear

315-437-6300.
I can't remeber his last name, but there's only 1 Jamie. Just go to 'customer service" in the phone menu.
or benchmarkmedia.com
Old 29th April 2005
Quote:
A good way to tell is by the pot. If it has grooves then it's new version.
"Grooves"??? I assume you are talking about indents on the volume pot?? You are saying that on the new versions the pot is not a continuous variable pot it is stepped?

Mine is stepped (and I wish it had a bit better resolution because each step it a bit too much for me) so it is already a 192khz unit?

Thanks, sorry to be thick….
Old 29th April 2005
Here for the gear

Got mine back 2 weeks ago from the upgrade and it does sound better.

Do it!

Randy Knaub

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search