The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do YOU EQ your reverb returns??
Old 31st January 2005
Gear Addict

How do YOU EQ your reverb returns??

Quick question...

how do you all eq your reverb sends or returns??

I can't stand the sound of most full spectrum reverbs...I like to take all of the low out under 200hz and roll off highs from like 6kHz and up.

Bear in mind that my space is bright to begin with, so the roll off of the highs sounds more natural.

This may all be room dependent---but how do you eq your reverb?

Buddhaman
Old 31st January 2005
Gear Maniac

Similar here - I always lo-cut the fx, and always record them for further processing. Sometimes I aply an UAD Pultec on the verbs for more shimmer and to cut harsh and get rid of unneeded lows, sometimes I aply some fancy procesing over the delay. And I always automate them - this can be better than just lo-cuting it.
Old 31st January 2005
There is only one

or try a de-esser or the top end.... there are a ton of things i put on reverbs. i will put a delay before them and verb the delay.... i will add spatial fx to the verbs after [or befer], eq, whatever.
Old 31st January 2005
I usually put a DBX 902 de-esser before the input to our AMS RMX 16 reverb unit...
Old 31st January 2005
Lives for gear

Re: How do YOU EQ your reverb returns??

Quote:
Originally posted by Buddhaman
Quick question...

Not at all!
tutt
Old 31st January 2005
Gear Addict

wow...this has been really helpful.

I have owned some really good reverbs (Sony Sampling--KSP8 etc...) and I have never been happy with the results.

I will try the de-esser trick

keep em coming

Buddhaman
Old 31st January 2005

"re-amping" a reverb through a Princeton or Champ guitar amd is always interesting. EQ and drive level to taste....

-tINY

Old 31st January 2005
Lives for gear

Re: Re: How do YOU EQ your reverb returns??

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSweetener
Not at all!
tutt
Why not? Are you morally opposed?

What happens when the reverb starts 'honking' at 300 hz but other than that it sounds good? Or the low end decay is swallowing up everything in it's path, but the midrange and top sound amazing?

Seems silly to limit yourself...

Cheers,
John
Old 1st February 2005
Lives for gear

HI

Add some compression to the reverbs returns and concerning eq, HPF @ 125 and high shelf around [email protected] -3db or LPF @+/-8k, depends on the case.
Old 1st February 2005
Jai guru deva om

I like to de-ess or eq reverbs to minimize the "SSSSSSSSSSSSS". Also, for snare I like to push some eq around to accent the crack more than the low end.

I frequently use hi pass on verbs as well to keep out the mud.

War
Old 1st February 2005

I'm really glad to hear that some of you use de-essers in front of verbs. Now I know I'm not alone! Many years ago I talked to Roland (when the R880 was new) about including a de-esser in the programs that they included in the pretty complex contoller unit. They pretty much said I was crazy and nobody in their right mind would want that. Actually they were polite but somewhat dumbfounded. Ever had that kind of conversation with a Mfg? later you find out that you weren't completely nuts and others were having the same problem.
As an aside, and a rant, I've had many a conversation with a Mfg. only to be told that nobody else has had the particular problem i'm reporting only to see the same mfg. issue an update repair/fix a few months later (for a problem that "didn't exist"). Like the time I had a 2" tape that seemed to be dragging the transport down...Ampex said it couldn't be their problem, must be the deck. But all my other tapes don't do it, says I. About a month later and 10 phone calls to different Ampex people and words like "stiction" and "polymer hydration" and such started littering the conversation. Once a big star had some reels of tape mysteriously dragging their transport the **** hit the fan and low and behold....shucks, guess we got a problem.
Oh well, back to my verbs. Cheers
Old 1st February 2005
Re: How do YOU EQ your reverb returns??

Quote:
Originally posted by Buddhaman
Quick question...

I can't stand the sound of most full spectrum reverbs...

Buddhaman
What kind of music are you doing?

Reverbs are meant to give sounds depth and when working on a 2D plane its never a bad thing.

If the revebs are eating the aural plane, try panning it differently,using one side or a different sounding pre delay before EQing it.

Another idea is to run the returns through units that will "dumb" the sound down.

Also not all reverbs units sound the same.

Maybe look at finding reverb units that reflect your sonic imprints.
Old 1st February 2005
Gear Maniac

usually a low shelf +/- deesser
Old 1st February 2005
Gear Addict

People just use some good EQ ...I have tried with some software EQ ....and it is soooo bad..... It ruins the sound completely ....
Old 2nd February 2005
Lives for gear

I have been known to HP at 300HZ and shelve a little at 5k.

As a drum application, this works well when using the Tiled Room in a PCM70.
Old 2nd February 2005
Gear Nut

About the same here.
I'll usually shelve below 250hz and again above 6k. Most virtual verbs are very un-natural to my ears. Probably the one I have to do least to is the Oxford verbs.

Chris
Old 2nd February 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
What kind of music are you doing?

Reverbs are meant to give sounds depth and when working on a 2D plane its never a bad thing.

If the revebs are eating the aural plane, try panning it differently,using one side or a different sounding pre delay before EQing it.

Another idea is to run the returns through units that will "dumb" the sound down.

Also not all reverbs units sound the same.

Maybe look at finding reverb units that reflect your sonic imprints.
Yeah, I agree.
I'll look for other options before EQ'ing the verb.
I admit I'm not a huge verb user. I have almost never run more than 2 on any mix.
I mostly tweek the reverb unit itself, or look for another verb that works.
EQ'ing the reverb return seemed to be more popular when verbs had few options, so you had to EQ them to get them to sound much different.
These days we have pre-delay and more options then ever.
I've used a de-esser before now and again.
But not very often lately.

Chaining effects is a different story.
I love that stuff.
Old 2nd February 2005
Gear Head

double post
Old 2nd February 2005
Lives for gear

Is there any call for a High R/T and x-over in addition to the standard low R/T? Sometimes I would like to set both, and a roll off or boost does not seem to give the same result.
Wayne

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search