The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
looking seriously at convertor upgrade, Spider, Mytek
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

looking seriously at convertor upgrade, Spider, Mytek

We'replanning on upgrading our 888's with the addition of either a Cranesong Spider (probable) or Mytek 8 ch (in).

The general party line is that the 888's are pure s*** when compared to high end convertors. I'm told I'll hear a "huge" difference. Is there anyway to illustrate this a little better? Not being able to a/b these before making the purchase is a bitch. The Spider would fill a few gaps at once for us though (summing and mic pre's) and thus looks like the right step. Could someone push me over the edge please?

The 888 to cranesong/Mytek convertor is? : Apples to oranges

an SM 57 to a u47

Mcdonalds to In n out? An "oh my god what we've been missing" difference?
(I kinda experienced that when I heard the ADAM S3's for the first time)

you get the picture.

If we decide to buy should we look into clocking the 888's from the new box via a distro? (lucid, aardsync ?)
We'll keep 2 888's and the ADAT bridge..
thanks
Old 5th February 2003
Gear Maniac

I have had my spider for a couple months and it is GREAT!. I to have 888/24 for playback through the console and have used them on occasion of ADC with AardsyncII, and there is no comparision. It is pricey but for what you get you can't beat it. I sold most of my outboard pres. i am a big believer in crane song stuff, I have a HEDD, STC-8 and Spider. I love them all.

Just curious do you plan to use the summing similar to a Dangerous 2 bus but in a 8 channel version?

Good luck
Richard
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by sprouseod

Just curious do you plan to use the summing similar to a Dangerous 2 bus but in a 8 channel version?

Good luck
Richard
Funny you should ask that. We we're talking about the very same thing last nite. we nixed the Dangerous 2 bus from the list of new gear but were thinking the Spider would accomplich the same thing,albeit 8 channels instead of 16 . the problem for us is to hit analoc 1/4 inch for mixes we'll need to get some quality D/A , so we're looking into possiblly the HEDD as well (the giveaway Bench mark would fit the bill...hint hint) .

thanks for the take on the Spider. Can you compare the mic pre's to anything else specifically?
Old 5th February 2003
Gear Maniac

They are what you would expect from crane song very clean class A. I use them on about everything Vox, drums, guitars, etc... Though they do have the FAT button. Which I rarely use. After talking with Dave Hill this is the same tube emulation as in the HEDD as is the tape saturation. I do use the tape saturation on just about everything, somestuff alot, some stuff only a touch. That would be an interesting thread here on GS for those who have Spiders huh? I would say besides going to an analog console for mixing PT this has been this has been the biggest improvement in sound quality for me personally.

Exactly how are you planning on configurign your system? The spider is only A to D Would you be sub grouping and routing out of the 888 into the Spider? I am confused?

RDS
Old 5th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
were thinking the Spider would accomplich the same thing,albeit 8 channels instead of 16 . the problem for us is to hit analog 1/4 inch for mixes we'll need to get some quality D/A , so we're looking into possiblly the HEDD as well
Do you mean to go to the analog 1/4" from the Spider (8x2 analog) or to go to the 1/4" and not sum in the analog world at all (i.e. mixing in the computer and D/A 2 channels out of the computer)?

If you get the Spider you would go from the analog master L-R outs of the Spider into the analog machine so you won't need a D/A except for the summing groups coming out of the computer. You'll need 8 D/A's to go out of the PT rig into the +4 line inputs of the Spider. You could use your 888's for multiple D/A's and even clocking the 888's from the Spider would be very helpful to their quality. Once it's to the analog reel, you can transfer that in the computer via the Spider again so you won't need additional conversion other than the 8 onboard the CS, unless you want the D/A quality over the top with something like the Mytek. It's redundant to get an additional master word clock with the Spider around, just use something like the Lucid GENx6 distribution WC box...it's cheap.
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

If you're looking for analog summing there is a cool schematic for a balanced summing buss on the Forssell Technologies website and it includes a lot of design theory. I'm actually planning on building it myself, just 'cause.

http://www.forsselltech.com/

As far as converters go, you know my feelings there

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search