The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
GML TDM
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

GML TDM

What is the thinking behind this plug-in,
will it match the GML hardware EQ?
Is that realistically possible for software?
Would that be a wise business move, as potential hardware buyers might not bother if they've got the plug-in?
So will they make it a little 'different', a little 'less cool', say 5-10% off base, so that the plug-in becomes an incentive to go the whole way?..
Or will it always be a different sonic beast by more like 20-30%, even with trying to make it the same?

Jus curious as I'm thinking about buying one or tother.. or both

thanks
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

The GML eq should be a phaselinear eq, wile the Sony eq with GML option is modeld after the 8200.
The GML eq should be very nice, but the Sony is the thing.

Thanks,
Helge
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg II.
The GML eq should be a phaselinear eq, wile the Sony eq with GML option is modeld after the 8200.
The GML eq should be very nice, but the Sony is the thing.

Thanks,
Helge
I've got the Sony GML option, while I rate it very highly I don't get the impression that it is sonically at the same grade as the GML EQ hardware unit. But this is guesswork, has anyone compared the 2?
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear
I have both and although I have not a/b'd, I really don't think it is realistic to expect the two to sound exactly the same. I find the 8200 great when tracking where a quick eq is needed, while the Sony/GML is my choice once the signal is 'on tape'. That being said, I hardly ever ever use the 8200 any more.

DW
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bombguy
I don't believe this to be true. For starters, I'd bet that George is one of the last people on earth who'd jump on the "phaselinear" gimmick.

Have you heard the GML?

--Erik
Sorry scrabled some terms it is a high resolution eq. But with Massenburg aproach ->clarity and transparency.
The Sony is modeled to sound like the hardware which is a different aproach.

I think I have to check out the GML. I also would like to see a TDM eq with the quality of the Sony eq with more flavors (APIsh, Neveish, Heliosish...).
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

I also miss a expander/gate with lookahead funktion.
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

Erik

Thanks for the insights and advice!

Renie
Old 7th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg II.
I also miss a expander/gate with lookahead funktion.
Try this : duplicate the track to be gated - send the copied track to a bus - use this bus on the original track for sidechaining the gate - then nudge the copied track forward.

Just a little work around for the look ahead.
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by clipgod
Try this : duplicate the track to be gated - send the copied track to a bus - use this bus on the original track for sidechaining the gate - then nudge the copied track forward.

Just a little work around for the look ahead.
Thanks for the suggestion, but why couldn't they build on that looks ahead? They do that with comps/limiters!
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bombguy
The host apps don't let plug-ins look ahead in time. They only give you the "real time" data. So implementing lookahead means you have to delay the whole track you're on by a fixed amount, which causes other problems.

--Erik
Erik, besides the obvious delay compensation that has to be made if not on the master bus, does it create any sonic issues with looking ahead?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search