The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fake bonham right?
Old 28th January 2005
Gear Addict

Fake bonham right?

Forgive me if this has been posted here:

Bonham drums

No way these are real, right?
Old 28th January 2005
Very interesting....

Could be a fake for sure but if it is not John Bonham man whoever is playing has Bonham's drum style down and I mean DOWN.

If it is a fake then this guy is a monster (hope I don't get sued fuuck ) but I think these could just be the real deal.

These would have came from around the same later sessions. The recording is very cool so I would think it would have had to come from a bigger studio. Analog for sure and sounds like old tape because of some of the drop outs.

I heard that in the later sessions like In Through The Out Door they used closer micing techniques (consistent with what I hear on the album) and these sound more roomy than that. On the other hand I have heard that Bonham made all kinds of sounds with his mouth when he played and these tapes have that all over them??

I have NO way of knowing first hand but if I had to put money on it I would say these are the real deal. As a life long fan of the band I always dreamed of hearing the tracks individually, this is classic.

Any idea where these came from??
Old 28th January 2005
that would be a pretty elaborate hoax, with the headphone bleed, the tone and performance and even the count ins. if it is fake they did a stunning job
Old 28th January 2005
Gear Guru

That bear grunting sound is very trademark bonham..could be...
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

The second one "Carouselambra" is def. from ITTOD, but who knows how long some of those songs were in the works. Could be older.

Whether or not they're the real deal, it sure is fun to listen to soloed drum tracks.

I'd say that if it's important to ya, better download 'em now. These things have a way of disappearing. Be nice to have the pre-MP3 disc, tho.
Old 28th January 2005
Gear Guru

I'm interested in his time inconsistencies on take 1. Kind of surprising. Maybe he was high or drunk. If it's not a hoax . . .
Old 28th January 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by henryrobinett
I'm interested in his time inconsistencies on take 1. Kind of surprising. Maybe he was high or drunk. If it's not a hoax . . .
Well I think they played "live" in the studio so he could have been compensating for a high or drunk Jimmy Page....

Still way cool. I have to think this is the real deal. Still could be a hoax but my hunch is it is not (I am a born skeptic as well for what that is worth).
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

there's a 6-CD set of studio outtakes, bootlegs, demos, etc that's floating around - I think I have a copy.

it may be on there... I'll take a look
"-)
Old 28th January 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by biggator6
there's a 6-CD set of studio outtakes, bootlegs, demos, etc that's floating around - I think I have a copy.

"-)
Really?? Where can I find that??

I have never been a bootleg guy because there are always so expensive and not worth the money most times but this was interesting. If there is bootleg with individual tracks i would love to get my hands on it....
Old 28th January 2005
Gear Addict

That's him.

I'm in heaven/hell. Tearing up. O.
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

sure sounds like bonham to me....
Old 28th January 2005
Jai guru deva om

It almost sounds like a gated verb!

That's Bonham man, track 22 is the tell all for me.

As a teen I was always trying to figure out the timing count between the rhythm parts in "Black Dog" until I finally closely listened to the song and heard what was going on (very quick stick hit before each re-entry to the rhythm). That song is a beautiful example of good live playing and gelling as a band, those guys really knew each other's style.

Bonham was a master.

War
Old 28th January 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally posted by henryrobinett
In 2005 a producer would probably snap Bonham and Rudd to a grid to "fix" their "inconsistencies".

War
Old 28th January 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by warhead
In 2005 a producer would probably snap Bonham and Rudd to a grid to "fix" their "inconsistencies".

War
And should be shot for it!

The hi-hat and snare sound very authentic to me.

I'm gonna download them all before the estate of Peter Grant hunts down the server and beats it to peices with a baseball bat! I'm a real Bonham freak.
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what I initially thought then I listened a bit closer and realized that it was the room mic at about 20:1....squishy, squishy!!!

I heard these tracks several months ago and just couldn't believe they were somehow available.
Old 28th January 2005
Gear Addict

TRACK 22!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I've dreamed of this moment for years. Bonham was a ****ing LION!!

God bless you TYY.
Old 28th January 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:

That's Bonham man, track 22 is the tell all for me.

As a teen I was always trying to figure out the timing count between the rhythm parts in "Black Dog" until I finally closely listened to the song and heard what was going on (very quick stick hit before each re-entry to the rhythm). That song is a beautiful example of good live playing and gelling as a band, those guys really knew each other's style.

Bonham was a master.

War
Track 22 "Fool in the Rain." I did that tune on my senior recital in college. That's Bonzo for sure.
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

Fake or not, it's pretty cool! Awesome post!
Old 28th January 2005
anybody got acces to the actual waves?
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by biggator6

"-)
Ya, I got those a few years ago.
very cool stuff, like them working through several arrangements of "Stairway".
The last one ending with some one saying something to the effect " I think weve got something here"

best

Sean
Old 28th January 2005
w2w
Lives for gear

These have been around for a while.Its the real deal.(whether you want to believe it or not).Anyone familiar with his sound can tell.Get a duplicate of his set.You wont sound like this.
Old 29th January 2005
Gear Addict

Well, the fact that the sound is so consistent over tracks that weren't from the same sessions made me a bit skeptical.

Also it really fukking does sound like a gated reverb! Are they gating room mics squashed to ****e? And how do they get that smashed sound without ruining the attack of the snare/toms and ending up with nothing but cymbal wash? Expert use of parallel compression/limiting?

I concur that fool in the rain is some wicked playing. No one could deny Bonzo's chops on drums after hearing that track. The guy is a machine...
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

I have no idea of whether they're really John Bonham outtakes or not, but, whatever they are, speaking purely for myself, they sure make a drummer who's become a little jaded with hearing quanticized, looped, sampled, "time-alligned" drum tracks smile.

And sigh...

Thanks, TYY. I am now the proud (and illegal?) owner of some wonderful mp3.s burned to disc.

By the way, for those of you who may be new to drum tracking, this is what a drum kit - in a real acoustical space, played by someone who can play, with feel and groove, with overtones, sympathetic resonances, and bleed - sounds like. I love it.

Cheers,

bdp
Old 29th January 2005
Gear Nut

Re: Fake bonham right?

Quote:
Originally posted by TYY
Forgive me if this has been posted here:

Bonham drums

No way these are real, right?
Yes they definitely are real.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was my first impression, but when I listened closer, I decided, like Picksail, that it's compression.

So how did this stuff get out? Anyone know?
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

At the end of take 22 the piano plays Guantanamera.

I suppose that´s the typical reaction when you have just played something with high concentration and right after the end jump away with any familiar tune.

Oh, and viva la Bohème err Bonham!! heh

Ruphus

PS: I find the noises that Bonham makes very interesting and sympathic. He breathes the music. ... Could be the magic behind his lively style.
On some of the outtakes I think to recognize how they were yet getting to what you find in their well known genial pieces.
Also on a couple of the clips I think you can hear Page´s siren in the background.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Sounds real to me. I will have to look up what studio they recorded drums on In Through The Out Door. Nice room.

Todd F.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sofa King
Ya, I got those a few years ago.
very cool stuff, like them working through several arrangements of "Stairway".
The last one ending with some one saying something to the effect " I think weve got something here"

best

Sean
Well, where can we buy this 6 CD set of outakes? Was it something that was released in stores or underground bootleg stuff?

Shane
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Awesome link!!!!!!
Old 29th January 2005

What gives it away for me is the squeeky kick drum pedal.

That's Bonham for sure... Just go back and listen to "The Ocean"... Identical squeek... And the hats are pure Bonham... That soft refined HiFi sound is a trademark.

Personally, I think it has been enhanced with stereo reverb, but what the hell!

This must be late 70's ('79?)... track 14 - 16 are "All Of My Love" off In through the Out Door.

Awesome playing!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search