The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fake bonham right?
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

I'm wetting myself as I listen to this stuff!

This is THE ****!!!!

Lord have mercy.....what a drummer.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

That stuff is compelling listening - I had to sit and listen to them all through studio monitors. It makes modern loop and machine "drumming" sound so lame and sad. A real drummer of that kind of calibre is a pleasure to listen to soloed.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by TYY

Also it really fukking does sound like a gated reverb! Are they gating room mics squashed to ****e? And how do they get that smashed sound without ruining the attack of the snare/toms and ending up with nothing but cymbal wash? Expert use of parallel compression/limiting?

Great link!

To me it sounds very much like two room mics in a larger room with some nice compression, nothing to crushing. The nice attack and the fact that the cymbals aren't washing everything away can definitely be his playing. When you hit and kick the drums like a man and ease of a bit on the cymbals this can very much be the result....

Again, great link! Cool to here how it is grooving like a MOFO without Linking Park metronom 'gridded' tightness...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Freakin' awsome!

I'm a drummer myself and I'm gonna download track 23 at use it as an example for every drummer that's coming into my studio. A very basic rudement but man, that's groove and feel in it, perfect!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Undoubtably Bonzo.

Also, off of a cassette and yes it is obviously gated reverb (EMT 250), not room mics.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Shan
Well, where can we buy this 6 CD set of outakes? Was it something that was released in stores or underground bootleg stuff?

Shane
they were definitely boots.
I can tell you that the quality of these "drum only" MP3s is much better than most of the "6 disc set".

some of them are from the studio, some are sound check stuff. the only thing i can place as an actual take from a record, are the pieces that make up "Moby Dick". the rest are rehearsals, and out takes.

I think i got them years ago from a guy at rec.audio.pro.

best
Sean
Old 29th January 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

Bonham is the master. Nobody ever played drums like that before or since.
Old 29th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Oh man, I'm so pumped after listening to that. How would one download and burn those on a Mac without quicktime pro?
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Control-click on each link and select "download linked file as..." then you can drag them all into something like Toast Titanium in "audio" mode, or you could import and convert in something like Pro Tools and bounce to disk. If you don't have any of those avenues available, you can at least write a disk of the data and take it to a computer that can do it.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 2A Batterie
Oh man, I'm so pumped after listening to that. How would one download and burn those on a Mac without quicktime pro?

itunes??

Sean
Old 29th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the tip, Max; it worked like a charm. I have to drive to DC for an audition soon and I am going to burn all of the tracks and listen to them over and over again on the way. It makes you think really that timeless music was being mad 30 years ago with 1/100th of the technology we have today, while most of today's music is about 1/100th the quality (music-wise, not sound quality).
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

I played these to my friend, "Rimlord", who is a drummer and Zephead. He swears these are all from In Through The Out Door. I don't have the album to check it myself, but I think he's right.
Old 29th January 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by neve1073
I played these to my friend, "Rimlord", who is a drummer and Zephead. He swears these are all from In Through The Out Door. I don't have the album to check it myself, but I think he's right.
Well errr.. yeah they are (not sure that was in question was it??)....

Joking with ya..

Yeah all from ITTOD sessions but one of these tracks ended up on Coda.
Old 29th January 2005
Gear Maniac

How long until a hip-hop guy gets a hold of these and samples them? I think that would be kinda badass
Old 29th January 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by 2A Batterie
How long until a hip-hop guy gets a hold of these and samples them? I think that would be kinda badass
I was thinking the same thing when I first heard them. These will show up someplace on a CD.

Also Jimmy Page is looking to make money of Zepplin stuff all the time, he really should just release all the studio cuts as drums, bass, guitar and keys seperatly. I mean look at how much interest these few crappy sounding MP3's have gotten.

All kidding aside I would go buy all of them the day they were released. I think his only reason not to do it is because like all good "vibe" music there are warts in the tracks that are covered by the other tracks. Could make them look bad but I don't care. How could anyone listen to these few cuts and think JB is not a god, warts and all?
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

I doubt anyone could get (afford) license to use these legitimately.
Old 29th January 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ks75
Maybe people should relax a little bit about digital editing when John Bonham can't even play in the studio without getting spliced to pieces.
Well said. Knowing this fact could really have influence! Really something worth reminding when in studio. And all in all AWESOME information!
Old 30th January 2005
Gear Addict

this is just crazy stuff, man thanks for posting it
i thought i was sick with compression
Old 30th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ks75
It's real.

Maybe people should relax a little bit about digital editing when John Bonham can't even play in the studio without getting spliced to pieces.

Hold on there partner...

There seems to be a lot of assumptions going on here.

No one really knows the pedigree of these takes.. ie: whether they were from takes that weren't the 'one' if you catch my drift.

I think the lineage is some assistant in the 80's who found the outake reels and had some fun with them to cassette. I think the 80's because of the gated reverse reverb on the kick that was the flavor effect then.
I think an assistant, because of the crappy mix.
I say cassette because of the HF overload and dropouts.
Old 30th January 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally posted by DirkB
When you hit and kick the drums like a man and ease of a bit on the cymbals this can very much be the result....
And that was a huge part of that Bonham sound! He didn't abuse his cymbals and realized they sounded better when they were smashed to death.

War
Old 30th January 2005

I wish I'd got to see them live, just once (on a good gig!!)
Old 30th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist
Hold on there partner...

There seems to be a lot of assumptions going on here.

No one really knows the pedigree of these takes.. ie: whether they were from takes that weren't the 'one' if you catch my drift.

I think the lineage is some assistant in the 80's who found the outake reels and had some fun with them to cassette. I think the 80's because of the gated reverse reverb on the kick that was the flavor effect then.
I think an assistant, because of the crappy mix.
I say cassette because of the HF overload and dropouts.

I agree and disagree.

This in fact may be an outtake reel.
But the bootleg recordings I have of Moby Dick, are "the takes" which were cut together to form what’s on the record.
So to say that editing didn’t happen, is just plain wrong.

Also, the assumption that it was an assistant because of the "crappy" mix is a little presumptuous.

You’re hearing god knows what generation, of god knows what medium, ending up on a MP3.

Considering all of that, I think its pretty rad.
And pretty fun.

What I think we can all agree on, is that this is a great example for drummers, and how they need to balance their playing.

I think every drummer needs to spend an hour or so, in the studio by himself, listening to how the mics and processing are hearing his playing.

Best
Sean
Old 30th January 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally posted by toolskid
I wish I'd got to see them live, just once (on a good gig!!)
The Song Remains the Same...

War
Old 30th January 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, that's him alright!

I'm on a dial-up, so I would really appreciate any more hints as to which of these cuts is the stuff. #22 certainly is! Thanks for the pointer there!

Man, that cut is so taut... the posture and tension are just the same throughout. Damn...

Also, another mac guy here who wants to steal this stuff but can't figure out how. I tried the control click bit, maybe something got interrupted... I'll try that again... I'd like to get it into itunes.
Old 30th January 2005
Here for the gear

option+click
Old 1st February 2005
Lives for gear

My partner just gave me an idea. Doh! I'm importing them into Nuendo and will be extracting the grooves to use with midi sequences.

The drumming is amazing. When ever an artist/drummer tells me he sounds great I will be playing this for him. I've never witnessed timing like this ever. NOt to mention the natural human balancing going on.

The hair on my arms won't stop standing on end. I swear on my mothers life, If I was to get takes as good as these I would barely touch my sissors tool.

Kelly
Old 1st February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
But the splicing that took place back then was nothing compared to what's done today. It was generally whole sections that were spliced together...and perhaps it was often for reasons other than the drum parts themselves.

-Duardo
Old 1st February 2005
Lives for gear

On my li'l dial up I have still only heard #22...no splices needed there!

Other than the awesome ferocity of the entrance, and the self-mixing in the room, what is really killing me is the high hat. It's so tight and fluid and nimble and all the stuff that's awful hard to do while pounding the hell out of the snare and kick...
Old 1st February 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Ted,

I think I liked take 14 mucho ( and the ones directly following ). If I´m not mistaken it was a relatively small sized file also.

Greets,

Ruphus
Old 2nd February 2005
Gear Maniac

damn, good stuff. You can really hear thoes 1176s pumpin. I love it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search