The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wacko Jacko TV Special
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Wacko Jacko TV Special

There was a one off Michael Jackson interview/documentary on earlier tonight in the UK. It was quite extraordinary. Funny bits were Wacko claiming never to have had any facial surgery, which he later changed to two small nose jobs, him climbing his favourite tree in Neverland and him buying some really tasteless "art" in Las Vegas. There was a great scene in the latter store when you could hear the store owner, off camera, saying "yeah, Michael sure knows his art" whilst Wacko seemed to be randomly pointing at things saying "....and I'll have that..., and those...., and this", etc.
The main vibe of the programme ended up being geared towards his relationships with children, and, low and behold, featured a new 12 year old "friend" of his quite prominently. He's never quite recovered from the tar brushing he got last time and while he's talking about the normality of having sleep overs with kids in his bed, I don't think he's going to.

the film crew were in his hotel room in Berlin when he hung the baby over the balcony too, and the way he was acting with the child afterwards was plain wrong.

Actually, I forgot to mention what I thought was THE funniest bit. When he was being questioned about the parents of the sleepover kids' feelings towards him, he said, thinking it somehow justified what he was saying, he'd be quite at ease with HIS kids sleeping over in Barry Gibbs bed!!!

BTW, the guy who was interviewing him, Martin Bashir, got this opportunity because he'd done a similar thing with Princess Diana. The funny thing is that Bashir lost a lot of credibilty after the Diana programme because he'd said, in public, and I quote, "I'd give her one.". Class act.

I still love Billy Jean though.
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

I thought Martin Bashir was out of his depth in this interview.
He seemed preoccupied with 'normality' and 'appropriateness' rather than 'healthy or unhealthy differences' or 'abuse' so MJ never got properly challenged, it's easy to defend accusations of not being 'normal'. Bashir seemed unprepared and unaware about the extent to which extraordinary fame from childhood and abuse has contributed to MJ arriving at where he is at today.
MJ is in total denial. I thought there were likable aspects to him but his relations with children need to be challenged more directly to protect the children and to help MJ come to terms with his own childhood and put it to rest.
Old 4th February 2003
Super Moderator

ABC's 20/20 with Barbara Walters is doing an interview with Michael. I think it airs this Thursday or Friday as a two hour special. The sound bites in the TV commercials make him look even stranger then he appears normally.

I guess he cannot see how "over the top" he comes off in public.

Poor Michael. IMO, he's a great artist, lost in his own world. What a shame. Truely a real bummer.
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
Poor Michael. IMO, he's a great artist, lost in his own world. What a shame. Truely a real bummer.
That's called psychose in "our" world...
Old 4th February 2003
Hmmmmmm..

I wonder when folks in the US will get to see this show?

It was damn interesting.

BTW - in his 'writing room' Gearslutz could notice:

1) A pair of Neve 1073's (My girlfriend rolled her eyes as I shouted I GOT A PAIR OF THOSE!!!)

2) A Flightcased Digidesign Mix + rig

3) A Mackie analog desk

heh
Old 5th February 2003
Gear Maniac

I spotted an MC-303 too, or it may have been a 505. Poor Michael. I watched the special, then went and bought Thriller. I still have mege respect for the man, but it's only on certain levels. I think he has never had the cheance to see normality. He was a superstar before he hit puberty, and has only lost favour in the last few years (if you call selling millions of copies of his last album 'losing favour). I think the problem is he is so rich, he can live however he wants to. Think of how wierd some of us Gearslutz would look under the microscope if we were worth over a billion dollars.

I would LOVE to make his next album though. We'd leave the big studios, and get a couple of the Motown boyz and my iBook. Just add a little nice outboard, some good songs, some crazy sculptures from some shop in Vegas, a ferris wheel, two giraffes.....
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

i love a good comedy

is "tito" the only normal one in that damn family? latoya is a sandwhich short of a picnic too.

oh jules, pointing out gear to girlfriends only gets you in more trouble. (just make mental notes and then post here
Old 5th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

It continually blows my mind that a person who can groove as hard as he did on Thriller could be such a freak. Also makes me wonder how Quincy Jones and the like manage to stay friends with this guy. Maybe calling MJ "friend" is just something you're supposed to do if you've grown up with him...

In the big picture, it's sad how extremely wacked and distorted a person's take on the world can get because the world always treated them like a God.
Old 5th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Hmmmmmm..

It was damn interesting.

1) A pair of Neve 1073's (My girlfriend rolled her eyes as I shouted I GOT A PAIR OF THOSE!!!)

3) A Mackie analog desk

heh
MJ had a Neve but, he opted to have it removed and a mackie put in it's place. It's smaller, cleaner but less soulfull.
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax

In the big picture, it's sad how extremely wacked and distorted a person's take on the world can get because the world always treated them like a God.
The world treated him like a god for his musical talent, but his father's abuse of him as a child is the crucial point in his current tragic position.
This programme was a set-up for him and I imagine it may well be a step towards his real collapse as a person.
Old 6th February 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
MJ had a Neve but, he opted to have it removed and a mackie put in it's place. It's smaller, cleaner but less soulfull.
Now, he really went off the deep end.
That's truely a wacko thing to do.
He's totally lost it for sure.
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
The world treated him like a god for his musical talent, but his father's abuse of him as a child is the crucial point in his current tragic position.
I still find it weird and dramatic that someone that lives in a state of self-hate and emotional hurt like this can't seem to be able to seek proper professional help to try and heal themselves a bit...

It must be an awful experience living for a day inside his head...
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
I still find it weird and dramatic that someone that lives in a state of self-hate and emotional hurt like this can't seem to be able to seek proper professional help to try and heal themselves a bit...

It must be an awful experience living for a day inside his head...
Do you think it's weird? A lot of people find trust hard to achieve and reaching out for help even harder and there is still stigma associated with it. Difficult to overcome if you've been brutalized and humiliated as a child and the world is watching. I think I can see how he's arrived at this in his fantasy world his wealth has enabled him to cocoon himself with.
I agree with you that it's a pity he hasn't found help.
It's sadly moving. I believe he trying to do good and give himself and others the love and childhood he never had, except he's missing all the important things, and he really has no idea what the important things are.
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Actually, weird was not the right nuance I was after. (Remember I speak primarily French...) "Disturbing" might have been better, in the sense that it is disturbing to "me" to try and empathize with someone like that and maybe catch a glimpse of their personnal drama... He clearly never had the opportunity to challenge his past experiences, recognize the ties that bind him and start to grow and build the self confidence and respect as well as the skillset to turn his back on his past and step into adulthood so to speak.
So he stays into the emotional world of an 8 years old...

Of course there are tons of people that live as terrible personal tragedies, but he does so under the microscope, and thus is kept in a catch 22 situation as he probably partly perceives himself thru how the media perceive and present him and that is based on his previous actings...

Also, as somebody mentionned, the fact that he is so filthy rich is surely a huge factor that is gonna prevent him to start on the path to healing because he can afford to be told by everyone that surround him that he's doing ok.

The most scary thing of all this is what lies waiting for his children? They stand to be the biggest loosers in this circus...
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol

The most scary thing of all this is what lies waiting for his children? They stand to be the biggest loosers in this circus...
Hi Groundcontrol,

I agree with your concerns for his children. It'll be a hard place for them to climb out of. But the redeeming factor for me is that MJ really is trying to do whats right, he just has no idea what that is and is physically tacky as a result. In a broader perspective, his kids, while up against it, have every chance of overcoming it in adult life. It will be their choice, all is not lost for them in my view!
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Hopefully you're right!
Old 7th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by supaheef
I watched the special, then went and bought Thriller.
I hear his record sales went up 5 fold since the programme went out:eek:

I also saw a bunch of Santa Barbara locals on tv this morning saying they respected him more since viewing the show
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Hmmmmmm..

It was damn interesting.

3) A Mackie analog desk

heh
Amazing!!!

Own a pair of Neve1073's and its ok to crap it all up with Pro Stools and a Mackie!!!

LMFAO!!

No offence intended Jules!

Regards

Roland
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

The documentary in question aired in the US last night, right?
Anybody shipping their kids off to Neverland for a sleepover then?
(...hot chocolate, sleeping bags, tucking in, 44 year old roaming hands...)

Article on MJ's response
Attached Thumbnails
Wacko Jacko TV Special-michael-beatles.jpg  
Old 8th February 2003
Lives for gear

I have a different perspective on him after seeing that documentary last night...
Disturbing is definately an appropriate word. Like someone said, he is definately surrounded by his "yes" people. He is definately locked into his childhood, whether that be 6,8,10,12 or all at times. The only time he became some sort of socially "normal" person was when he talked about music.
With the money he closes out reality and tries to build a mini world around him.
My wife knows one of his earlier publicists, and the publicists would have to make sure they "accidently" leaked out information as to when and where he arrives, to make sure there is a crowd and cameras, especially in airports...which still doesn't make sense, being that he flies privately (except international), but will manage to find himself in an airport. You notice how they said on the documentary, that someone "leaked" Michael Jackson being at the zoo or wherever.

As far as the children (no matter how INAPPROPRIATE it is, and I don't think ANYONE will argue (besides MJ himself) that sleeping with young children is NOT INAPPROPRIATE), I just don't think he is sexual at all. I don't think he intends to harm any of them. He just needs love and I probably has never experienced or allowed himself to experience any love from an adult?!
Old 8th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by doug_hti
I don't think he intends to harm any of them. He just needs love and I probably has never experienced or allowed himself to experience any love from an adult?!
Just for clarification so I don't get blasted...I'm not talking about SEX love, just FAMILY love....
Old 8th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Carl! That pic is a classic! I don't care how much printer ink it takes, that's going on a wall in my studio!!

LOL!!!!

I feel sorry for the guy, but that's f-in hilarious.

Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
The documentary in question aired in the US last night, right?
Anybody shipping their kids off to Neverland for a sleepover then?
(...hot chocolate, sleeping bags, tucking in, 44 year old roaming hands...)

Article on MJ's response
Old 9th February 2003
a hur a hur a hur!

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search