The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PT + TC M3000 = Clock source Question
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Addict

PT + TC M3000 = Clock source Question

Hi all.

Were about to install a TC 3K together with our PT MIX+.
Which one should be Master?

I assume connecting them with AES/EBU is better than S/PDIF
since the cable length will exceed 7 meters.
Are there any suggested max length on AES/EBU cables?

Thanks in advance
Jens
Old 3rd February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

You can go up to 300 meters with AES/EBU and not experience any problems.

The best clock source in your studio, whether it's in your converters or a dedicated external clock, should be the master to the M3000.
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
You can go up to 300 meters with AES/EBU and not experience any problems.
Not quite, the AES digital audio standards comitee itself now recommends all digital audio interconnects over a few meters be done with coax cable at 75 ohm. They have schematics on how to convert AES i/o's to single ended 75 ohm operation accompanying their new digital audio interconnection standard. It is to be found on the AES site.

Still, under normal circumstances, a typical AES/EBU run of 7 meters should not be a problem as long as you use high quality 110 ohm cable and XLR's connectors.

As far as practicality goes, having the M3000 slave lock to PT's clock via the AES feed would be my suggestion. This way it will follows whatever other system clock source you might want to use from time to time (like when recording a digital signal from a sampler, DAT or CD that can't be slaved to something else or eventually using a dedicated master clock source) without too much hassle.

Hope that helps...
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Right, but if you are only run the TC+PT digitaly you should giv the TC a try. It might realy improof the ****ty PT clock!
Just listen to some music like jazz, classic or accustic guitar/piano and switch from TC clock to PT clock and back. That schould tell you which clock to use!
But if you slave your PT rig to tape, other digital sources you might us the PT as master.
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Addict

Thank you all for the input.

I´ll try them both. I´ll get back with my thoughts.
Jens
Old 4th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
Not quite, the AES digital audio standards comitee itself now recommends all digital audio interconnects over a few meters be done with coax cable at 75 ohm.
Damn. Was this a recent change? I remember when 300 meters was acceptable. I haven't been paying close enough attention.
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

I remember first seeing articles on this around maybe 6 years ago. One of my friend who designs recording and broadcast studios has been doing this for the last 4 years maybe... It especially makes sense in large broadcast centers where they can lay miles of coax cable and use them indiscriminately for digital audio as well as analog and digital video. They can use the same 75 ohm patchbays for everything too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search