The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Phil Spector Arrested Plugin Bundles
Old 3rd February 2003
Old 3rd February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

This ain't the first time... wonder what he did now.

btw the link doesn't work
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Phil Spector Arrested

HOLY CRAP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FOX NEWS
ALHAMBRA, Calif. — Legendary record producer Phil Spector was arrested Monday for investigation of homicide after the body of a woman was found at a home in this Los Angeles suburb, authorities said.

Spector, 62, was arrested at the castle-like estate around 5 a.m., in this suburb about 15 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles, county sheriff's Sgt. Joe Efflandt said.

The police responded to a call from a neighbor and discovered the body of a white, adult female, an LAPD spokesman told Fox News. The woman had been shot and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police also told Fox that Spector is the only current suspect in the murder. The producer was taken to the Alhambra Police Department for questioning, and several witnesses were also being questioned, deputies said.

Records indicate Spector owned the home where he was arrested.

In his storied career, Spector produced such music greats as Tina Turner and the Ramones, and records for the Beatles, the Righteous Brothers and the Crystals.

After Spector's arrest, Marky Ramone, who was a drummer for the Ramones, told Fox News. "I can't believe this. I don't think Phil would murder anyone."

Spector is famous for creating the "Wall of Sound" effect that involved overdubbing scores of musicians to create a full, dramatic sound. The technique combined a variety of instruments, vocals and sound effects and changed the way pop records were produced. It brought fame to singing groups like the Ronettes and the Crystals.

His session players, known as the "Wrecking Crew," included guitarist Glen Campbell, pianist Leon Russell, drummer Hal Blaine and the late Sonny Bono, who learned the producer's trade under Spector.

He produced a string of '60s hits, including the Crystals' "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Then He Kissed Me," the Ronettes' "Be My Baby" and "Walking in the Rain," and Love's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" and "(Today I Met) the Boy I'm Gonna Marry."

Spector, who produced records for Elvis Presley, Ike and Tina Turner, the Righteous Brothers, the Crystals and Darlene Love, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1989.

Spector produced the last Beatles album Let It Be in 1970.

He later worked with John Lennon on "Imagine" and helped Yoko Ono produce Lennon's work after the singer was killed in 1980. He also helped George Harrison on All Things Must Pass.

Spector would become reclusive and known for an eccentric lifestyle. He was alleged to have toted a gun and demonstrated some near-psychotic and abusive behavior, according to a 1995 biography by Rolling Stone magazine.

"It had to stop," Spector said of his behavior in a 1977 Los Angeles Times interview. "Being the rich millionaire in the mansion and then dressing up as Batman. I have to admit I did enjoy it to a certain extent. But I began to realize it was very unhealthy."

Spector's second wife was Ronnie Bennett, lead singer of the girl group the Ronettes. They divorced in 1974. He has five children from his marriages.

Spector's last major album was End of the Century, a 1980 collaboration with the Ramones. During the session, the late bassist Dee Dee Ramone said Spector pulled a gun on the band.

Spector was a 17-year-old student at Fairfax High School in Los Angeles when he wrote and produced his first No. 1 hit for the Teddy Bears, a ballad called "To Know Him Is to Love Him." Its title was taken from the inscription on the gravestone of his father, Benjamin, who committed suicide when Spector was 9 years old.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

sorry about the link...I guess cut and paste would be mo' bedda...

Still trying to get white-out off the screen...ya know
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Maniac

This Just In: Phil Spector In Jail, $1,000,000 Bail!

Seems a dead woman was found in his Los Angeles mansion with many bullet holes in her body.

L.A. GearSlutz, what's going on?

wurly
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: This Just In: Phil Spector In Jail, $1,000,000 Bail!

WTF!!

I'm sure it'll all uncover in the next few days/weeks, but I was pretty shocked. He doesn't seem like he'd have murder in him....... but then you never do know I suppose.
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: This Just In: Phil Spector In Jail, $1,000,000 Bail!

Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
WTF!! He doesn't seem like he'd have murder in him....... but then you never do know I suppose.
You have never worked for him I assume.

I don't get it . . . what's the big deal? Everyone has some bodies in their houses with a buttload of bullet holes in them. I know I must have at least . . . . . . . . . nevermind.
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

So i guess someone told him that they were releasing "Let it Be" without his orchestrations?

ok that may have been over the line..
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
Knox, did you actually work with him? I imagine that would be quite an experience.
No . . . didn't mean to give that illusion.

Some of my friends in NYC did, and I have read many stories regarding him. There are even tapes knocking around of him reeming Lennon so you get a real sense of what he is capable of.

From all I hear from people with actual experience, he was a REAL ****er. I believe he threatened to kill Lennon once on one of his 'crazy' times when he took the master tapes of the rock and roll sessions and wouldn't give them back, though Lennon paid for the sessions. He was notorius for being a ****. Even screwing his own wife out of her royalties. I'm suprised no one ever did HIM in actually.

Again, this is not from personal experience but from readings, interviews I have read and my friends real life experiences. Don't want to give the wrong impression.
Old 4th February 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

He's a nutzo. Dee Dee is normal compared to him.
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

A well-known artist who briefly worked with him told me he was really nuts. When they found he routinely carried a handgun with him at the studio that was the end of their collaboration... I have no doubts he's capable of trying to transform somebody into a pop filter of sorts...
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
... he routinely carried a handgun with him at the studio
Doesn't make him a bad guy.
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Addict

Friend of mine worked with Ronnie Spector for a while and the story was that Phil was way beyond your normal run of the mill wack job. An abusive paranoid thief would be a start. Take care Logan
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by 1nation
Doesn't make him a bad guy.
No, just dangerous.
Old 4th February 2003
urumita

Maybe it was Ronnie out for revenge. You know he's got a bad reputation and maybe a daft will. What's a better way than to set him up?
In all this GS hysteria, does anybody know the name of the victim, was she a drummer?
I shouldn't have written that, with all respects to the victims loved ones, it's a really cheap blow. I'm sorry. I really want to focus on the insane that are allowed to run rampant in this world, rushing records included.
Old 4th February 2003
member no 666

Sorry to rain on the 'lynch mob'... but maybe the courts/a jury of his peers should decide if he's guilty or not... just a thought.
Old 5th February 2003
There is only one

he ws framed... OJ did it.
Old 5th February 2003
Sheesh! All she said was there was too much reverb on the vocal!
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Sorry to rain on the 'lynch mob'... but maybe the courts/a jury of his peers should decide if he's guilty or not... just a thought.
I see no lynch mob, Fletcher, I just see a lot of indications of Phil Spector's reputed madness. I agree there is a slight assumption of guilt in some posts but a woman has been shot in his home and he's been arrested, it doesn't "look" good, but I've seen no presumption of guilt.

I don't understand why someone as high profile as Spector would get Shapiro in to defend him, he may be very good at his job but 2 miracles in one lifetime would be pushing it. If I were Spector, I wouldn't want Shapiro standing in front of a jury on my behalf because you can bet your bottom dollar at least half of them will know who he is, and it might not go in your favour.

I, for one, really hope/pray he didn't do it. I think it would be a tragedy if he were to be remembered more for this action than for his amazing contribution to popular music. I think, whether he's guilty or not, it's a shame.
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Does Phil Spector have 12 "peers"? ( not a slam, I dont mean fellow men, I mean equals )
Old 5th February 2003
Motown legend

An old friend of mine from Motown was his secretary for many years. I KNOW she wouldn't have put up with any of the things I've heard about him so I tend to discount most of what I hear. Phil, like Berry Gordy, came from out of nowhere to the top of the charts with his own label. They both made a lot of major label execs. look pretty silly and were hated for it.
Old 5th February 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
... I, for one, really hope/pray he didn't do it. I think it would be a tragedy if he were to be remembered more for this action than for his amazing contribution to popular music. I think, whether he's guilty or not, it's a shame.
What about Joe Meek? He's a murderer and his designs live on...

Got Meek?
Old 18th March 2007
Trial starts tomorrow.
Will be televised in the USA too.
I suppose highlights will show up on YouTube..
Old 18th March 2007
Gear Guru

WILL THIS BE ON NANCY GRACE ?
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
Does Phil Spector have 12 "peers"? ( not a slam, I dont mean fellow men, I mean equals )
Jack Bauer & Chuck Norris would have to be amongst them.
Old 18th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Jack Bauer & Chuck Norris would have to be amongst them.

lol

..and, of course, droopy dog....

oh, and... AQUAMAN!!!!!

Old 19th March 2007
Lives for gear

At any rate, bless the soul of the woman and those of her family and friends.........

Always remember that Phil Spector is presumed to be innocent until he's convicted by a jury of his peers.

I feel very sorry for those associated with both the deceased and with Spector. They, of course, are the living victims of a crime which unfortunately happened many times in many places on the same date as the one in question...and which would only gain a passing mention, if at all.

Bless all of those souls who suffered that day.
Terry
Old 19th March 2007
Lives for gear

And if found guilty give the guilty the chair.
Old 19th March 2007
Super Moderator

Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McInturff View Post
At any rate, bless the soul of the woman and those of her family and friends.........

Always remember that Phil Spector is presumed to be innocent until he's convicted by a jury of his peers.

I feel very sorry for those associated with both the deceased and with Spector. They, of course, are the living victims of a crime which unfortunately happened many times in many places on the same date as the one in question...and which would only gain a passing mention, if at all.

Bless all of those souls who suffered that day.
Terry
Old 19th March 2007
Gear Addict

Did you wacth the movie about the Ramones talking nuts about feel Spector?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search