The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best 002R complement Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 28th January 2005
Hugh Robjohns has just done a review of the Mackie Onyx 800R in Sound on Sound.

He picks and moans about a lot of things such as poor ergonomics, dodgy converter calibration, slight phase discrepancies in the low frequencies etc etc.

However one thing he is unilaterally positive about is the unit's sonics saying it stands up next to GML pres.

So... maybe Mackie are really pushing the boat out with this one.
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Gerax. Great music sample! Thanks, how did you recorded it?...all together in one room or separated...?
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Joaquin

Thanx, I'm glad you liked it.

It's been recorded with a main ORTF stereo pair of the ensemble and a serie of spot mics on the single instruments (cello, piano, double bass, drums), so as to have the possibility to balance things and have more control in the mix; I got several live takes of the whole ensemble playing together (as classical and jazz musicians do) in a good sounding room (it was a theater) and afterwards edited some takes in Pro Tools to get the best performance; mixing was also in Pro Tools.

As I said before it was all recorded with the Octopre straight in the Mackie SDR2496 (@24/44.1) using the Focusrite AD converter board.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thenewyear

However one thing he is unilaterally positive about is the unit's sonics saying it stands up next to GML pres.

also check out the focusrite isa 428.
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Gerax!
Old 29th January 2005
Lives for gear

Hey, I think that the ISA 428 with the AD card is the perfect complement for the 002...but is way out of the original budget!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search