All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Using delay for vocal doubling?
Old 1st February 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Using delay for vocal doubling?

Someone asked me how well delay on an effects unit can simulate
double tracked vocals. This is for live use where they'd be using the
"tap" function. A response in the next few hours or sooner would
be greatly appreciated. So hurry up! (just kidding)

Thanks
Chris
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

Ekk. Well, sort of, but not really.

The M3000 has a "vocal doubler" (preset 137 I think... don't have it in front of me) and the The Antares Vocal Producer unit does this quite well.

If you plan on doing this with a tap delay, throw a "micro pitch shift" from the H3000 or other eventide units, or try a 6 voice choirs (the one on the cart in the 480 is awesome) depending on what you are starting with, and what you are desiring.

There's also a 6 pitch "doubler" preset in the waves bundle if you are DAWing, but it's not as good in my opinion as the other stuff I blabed about, mainly because of the massive plug in delay you get.
Old 2nd February 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thanks e-cue.
I had a Lexicon up for sale at e-bay and someone there asked me this question. They were advised to check this thread for a
response.

Chris
Old 2nd February 2003
Moderator emeritus

Hey, I didn't think about a thickening thing I sometimes do on background vocals (when I'm too tired to have the singer double all the parts); In Pro Tools, duplicate all of the background vocal tracks, and pan the duplcates hard right with the originals hard left. Then select all of the duplicates and delay them by one frame. It doesn't really sound like the group has doubled the BGV's, but it's fatter than leaving them alone and more transparent than using a delay
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

I've done vocal doubling in my Eventide DSP4500 and DSP7000 where I create a custom preset where the delay is random within a range of few to several ms or I can manual adjust it by hand with the scrub wheel or via MIDI. Plenty of existing useable delay presets as well if your lazy.
Old 2nd February 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thanks again guys, will keep these ideas in the back of my mind...

Chris
Old 2nd February 2003
member no 666

You probably can't "tap" fast enough for a 'doubling' thing... try a delay of about 40ms [+/- 100, with a little bit of 'depth' and middle to low speed from the 'modulation' section and you should be fine.

Best of luck.
Old 3rd February 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thanks Fletcher!

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search