The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What kinda studios can you get in your area for 500 bucks a day (no engineer)
Old 1st February 2003
  #1
Lives for gear
 
cajonezzz's Avatar
 

What kinda studios can you get in your area for 500 bucks a day (no engineer)

Tagged along on a session with my wife tonite to a place in north san diego county. Freakin brilliant room.(the real deal, cover of Mix mag kinda place, detached from private residence) Great mic selection. API (40 in I think) console with ultimation. 8ch neve 1272, 2 cha 1031, avalon, tons o outboard. Didn't pay attention to the 2 ", (it was rolled in a corner )session was tracked to PT HD.
I asked the owner what the day rate was .... jeez
500 bucks a day. seems like he's giving the place away. I guess owning the gear/room outright helps.


anyone else seeing deals like that in their area?
Old 1st February 2003
  #2
Re: What kinda studios can you get in your area for 500 bucks a day (no engineer)

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
Tagged along on a session with my wife tonite to a place in north san diego county. Freakin brilliant room.(the real deal, cover of Mix mag kinda place, detached from private residence) Great mic selection. API (40 in I think) console with ultimation. 8ch neve 1272, 2 cha 1031, avalon, tons o outboard. Didn't pay attention to the 2 ", (it was rolled in a corner )session was tracked to PT HD.
I asked the owner what the day rate was .... jeez
500 bucks a day. seems like he's giving the place away. I guess owning the gear/room outright helps.


anyone else seeing deals like that in their area?
There is a 9000J room in town where i sometimes freelance at and its pretty similar(just $250 more).
Old 2nd February 2003
  #3
Lives for gear
 
groundcontrol's Avatar
 

A nice n'crunchy G+ or totally rebuilt Neve desk full of 1073's. A couple Studers with 16 and 24 track headblocks or PT HD3 with 32 i/o's. Nice selection of outboard toyz. Standard selection of the usual suspects in the mic closet and some nice rather big live rooms.

The rather close and smallish French language local market does wonder when you want to book studio time here... or absolutely slay you if you depend on renting your room for a living. fuuck

It's more profitable renting my skills than my gear for sure...

Cheers!
Old 2nd February 2003
  #4
Gear Addict
 
mdbeh's Avatar
 

Here in Chicago, $600 will get you Room B at Electrical, which is a Neotek and A800 and a good sized room.
Old 2nd February 2003
  #5
1) Neve V Otari MTR 90 + enough outboard to track.

Large tracking room

several iso booths

No usable piano

Ragged incomplete backine (in the UK it is never expected nor provided)

And an assistant / junior engineer


2) My studio! The Library (if you know me!) including assistant
Old 2nd February 2003
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Steve Smith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
A nice n'crunchy G+ or totally rebuilt Neve desk full of 1073's. A couple Studers with 16 and 24 track headblocks or PT HD3 with 32 i/o's. Nice selection of outboard toyz. Standard selection of the usual suspects in the mic closet and some nice rather big live rooms.

The rather close and smallish French language local market does wonder when you want to book studio time here... or absolutely slay you if you depend on renting your room for a living. fuuck

It's more profitable renting my skills than my gear for sure...

Cheers!
Did Le Studio in Morin Heights ever sell? I heard that place was going at rock bottom prices per day last year....
Old 2nd February 2003
  #7
Gear Nut
 
verbular's Avatar
 

$500 in Tokyo would get you about 1 to 1.5 hours of a top of the line room at "retail", or 2 to 3 hours of a decent room with either SSL or Neve, or 4 to 5 hours of a PT room with overdub booth only, and maybe 10 hours of use out of an ADAT facility.
Old 2nd February 2003
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Mine for all day including me.
Yes - I'm underpriced - but its a small town.
No 2" - great sound anyway.
Old 2nd February 2003
  #9
Looks damn sweet to me Paul....
Old 3rd February 2003
  #10
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
There's a handful of 2" rooms in my area for $600-700 a day. Showplace, Mix-O-Lydian, Water Music's B room, and I think IIWII is in that rate but I'm not too sure. Oh, and the Big Blue C room is about $500 a day. Most of those places are about 40 minutes from me. In my area of NJ I'm just about the only 2" studio at all besides Showplace. Anywho, you can get into my room for a bit less then $500 a day with me as engineer or assistant.
Old 3rd February 2003
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Curve Dominant's Avatar
With no engineer included, one could squeeze into Sigma Sound's PTHD3 room (their #2 room) at that rate (+ a few $ maybe)...6 city blocks from my crib. Sweet room, professionally designed and treated; API, Avalon etc outboard gear; all the plugs on the market; Genelec 1032As; C|24; lotsa pro mics, nice little room. Great for mixing.

I dunno about the studio one rates (SSL9000j), but I'm not interested in analog stuff these days.
Old 3rd February 2003
  #12
Lives for gear
 
groundcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Did Le Studio in Morin Heights ever sell? I heard that place was going at rock bottom prices per day last year....
That IS one of the cool places you can get for $500 a day. Probably including lodging for the band if you're a good negociator... :eek: I know this for a fact since one of the local band my business partner manages just recorded an album there.

It sold to new owners this summer as part of a big land real estate deal. They were talking about building a new mix room... (9000J/K???) I think they're planning on developping some kind of condo/resort thing on the mountain behind the lake and the studio...

The old owners (a big show production agency) were rumored to loose as much as $200k Canadian per year lately... :eek:

For a rock band based in eastern US and funded in US $$$ it is a nice bargain place to record a project.

The movie industry seems to have realized this as movie and tv series shoots and production work is becoming increasingly common place in Montreal.

Maybe see you there someday Steve...
Old 3rd February 2003
  #13
Lives for gear
 
cajonezzz's Avatar
 

Would it be accurate to assume most of these above mentioned deals are with studios that arent looking at huge gear leases?

seems like 500.00 a day for an SSL room of any kind is really absurdly low.

I suppose the budget/demand simply is not there.
Old 3rd February 2003
  #14
Its interesting because here we can sort of spill the beans on secret cut price rates.... Often a deal price for studio comes with a promise NOT to ever tell any one...


Old 3rd February 2003
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Well.. for $350 a day u can have 2" mci, PT, Neve w/ 24 x 1073, LA2A, disrtessor, Neve 2264's, 1176 & 1178, Al Smart, u47 neumanns, AKG's and every other bog standard dynamic.... Engineer and asistant.. and sunshine! and kik ass coffee outside the front door!

the catch... is u gota come to Australia!

PEACE
Wiggy heh heh heh
Old 3rd February 2003
  #16
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
Would it be accurate to assume most of these above mentioned deals are with studios that arent looking at huge gear leases?

seems like 500.00 a day for an SSL room of any kind is really absurdly low.

I suppose the budget/demand simply is not there.

The SSL studio community is very guarded.

Here in NYC, everyone keeps tabs on each other on what so and so is charging.

The studio that i posted above has now a reputation in the community as a "dog house"because their 9000 rates are so low(even though lots of famous people still record and mix there).

I've had other studios specifically tell me not to do business with them if i want to keep in favor with them. They feel that it totally hurts their business and every other studio around it. Privately they just hope the place folds up and they can have their gear through one of the auctions.

One thing about SSL, if you have one they want to know about it(as well as PAD which is another story in itself). How much did you pay for it? From where? What kind of rates? They are very thorough on keeping tabs on where their consoles are.
Old 4th February 2003
  #17
Here for the gear
 
LuvToLaf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
Mine for all day including me.
Yes - I'm underpriced - but its a small town.
No 2" - great sound anyway.
Jeezoweee! I ain't laffin, that's just my log in name, man! That is beautiful Paul!grggt Some real passion went into that place, nice job!

-LTL
Old 4th February 2003
  #18
Gear Addict
 

Thanks Nathan and LuvtoLaf
We're starting to do OK here too!
Old 4th February 2003
  #19
Gear Head
 

Like Jay was saying round New York it seems to be pretty insane. Theres studios in NJ outside of NYC that get away with charging $500 that have soundcraft ghosts and a smal live room that do that great work. As someone who freelances around alot in the area what you see for $500 dollars a day is
Studio 1 A great Neotek room With tons of outboard neve pres and 2" Pro Tools with a wood live room with tons of iso's
Studio 2 An ADAT/Otari 2"Room with a Soundcraft Ghost and a pretty unspectabular live room and a few isos
Studio 3 An A800 and API Side Car with a huge live room that has no wood in it whatsoever an iso room that barely does it job and a lyour mic selection is whatever is left over from the A room. Which still can be pretty amasing.
Studio 4 A MXP 3036 MCI JH24, Pro Tools Mix Plus and HD and a small live room(no wood yet again) but 3 Great iso booths.


Did the original studio that inspired this post happen to be Big Fish?? Sounds like it some really great records coming out of that studio when Mark Trombino and Steve Evetts work there.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump