The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AutoTune on the new Guns N Roses CD...WOW!
Old 26th July 2008
AutoTune on the new Guns N Roses CD...WOW!

For those of you that have heard some of Chinese Democracy....it's amazing how obvious the tuning is on Axel's voice. The music sounds great, but wow. You would think they would do a better job with how many millions of dollars is it now??

Maybe this is why it will never come out...Axel can't sing
Old 26th July 2008
Gear Maniac

How does one get to hear some of Chinese Democracy?
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

it was never released so it confuses me too. Also I heard the final cost production of making it cost 4 million dollars and it was never released. Read it in the new paper...
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

There have been a few leaks of stuff that ended up getting scrapped. I haven't heard them, don't really care to. GnR minus Slash = a ****ty singer and a so-so rock band in my opinion.
Old 26th July 2008
Gear Nut
Really? You think Bumblefoot is so-so?
Old 26th July 2008
mds
Lives for gear

I do...
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

That band was the distinctness of the singer, and thats all.
'
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

I think Izzy would disagree. Never been a fan but the band was way more cool when Izzy was there.
Old 26th July 2008
Some of the early AutoTune use was really obvious. Particularly around the turn of the century, folks were releasing stuff that's just mind-blowingly clumsy in its vocal re-tuning. Lately I've been hearing stuff from that era across the stylistic map where things will sound fine -- maybe a little subtle flattening of pitches that are obvious but not ear-jangling -- and THEN there will be one or two warbly little chirping artifacts that make you go, WHAT?!?

Clearly, these were not people going for the Cher-effect but simply trying to fix up some vox -- so how on earth did they let such horrifically clumsy AT abuse slip by? Didn't they have ears back then?

Frankly, I don't know. It's kind of dumbfounding what some of these fools put out on actual releases. (After all the GnR album hasn't been released at all, so it might well have had a more finessed AT or Melodyne processing had it been released recently.)

PS... This is kind of off topic but while some of my friends have always touted Slash's guitar playing, I'm far from a GnR fan and haven't ever heard any of it that really made me sit up and listen. Presumably, I just haven't heard the right stuff. (It's not that I don't like blues rock playing; some of my favorite guitarists are blues rockers: Rory Gallagher, Peter Green, Bloomfield, Buchanan, Kossoff.)

Could someone point me to a couple examples of Slash's better/best work either with GnR or in his post-GnR career?

TIA
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
That band was the distinctness of the singer, and thats all.
'
I disagree. I think it was the chemistry of the original 5 guys. Even when Steven left, the band wasn't as good even though he 1/2 the drummer that Matt Sorum is. Izzy was the perfect balance to Slash. When he left it just sounded like the Slash show.
None of them are that interesting individually.
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaNce144 View Post
Really? You think Bumblefoot is so-so?

Bumblefoot, Buckethead, Izzy, Slash...... I'll take a guitarist named John for 100 Alec.
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post
it was never released so it confuses me too. Also I heard the final cost production of making it cost 4 million dollars and it was never released. Read it in the new paper...
oh, i read wayyy more than 4 mill.

i think there has been such a long time that the teenage audience grew up and even though they like guns, itll never be the same. its an era that passed and has great memories. the market guns used to have now is taken over by PSP, internet, xbox, iphone etc etc. where g&R will be just another 9.99 download (or free/iligal) donwload next to the 1000s of hiphop,rock, pop, electronica etc of bands that before didnt had the cmoercial clout of the major labels. some did as well as today but back with GnR there was fewer "products" (read bands) that where poured with $$$ in marketing and promos.
and consumers only had a few channels of music entertaiment like CD/tapes and concerts and
MTV.
now , there are 100's of cable music channels, internet with million bands, game consoles with great music, its so diluted that GnR resurection doenst seem lilkley .

the rest of the band moved on and all of them look like the drugs are catching up to them. and i berley remeber the name of the band which there songs where ok.but seems more poepple like them cause of who the where and not who they are.

(IMO of course)
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Could someone point me to a couple examples of Slash's better/best work either with GnR or in his post-GnR career?
GnR's "Appetite For Destruction" is Slash at his best IMO.
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
I disagree. I think it was the chemistry of the original 5 guys. Even when Steven left, the band wasn't as good even though he 1/2 the drummer that Matt Sorum is.
I agree 100%.
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

TIA
Hey, I'm a G'n'R fan and a Slash fan. I really like his style... great sense of rhythm and melody... and never seems to [email protected] up at all. IMO most of his best stuff is off of Appetite, but I'm not that much of a 'blues' rocker' fan. I like more of the punk style stuff.

check this out
YouTube - Guns N' Roses - Locomotive Instrumental Mix a instrumental jam of a good blues based rock tune.

Other stuff that stands out to me: nearly all of AFD. Although alot of the songs are written by Izzy. 'one in a million' off of lies. When the 'Illusion' cd's came out, G'n'R had gone more ballady rock because of Axl.

Some of the Velvet Revolver stuff is great because of Slash also. Some of it just has that signature smooth feel in the leads. Can't recall any more names right now...

peace!
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I disagree. I think it was the chemistry of the original 5 guys.
G&R was a singer's distinctive warble crying with a club band backing.

Would be nice if they got together again though.
'
Old 27th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
GnR's "Appetite For Destruction" is Slash at his best IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Hey, I'm a G'n'R fan and a Slash fan. I really like his style... great sense of rhythm and melody... and never seems to [email protected] up at all. IMO most of his best stuff is off of Appetite, but I'm not that much of a 'blues' rocker' fan. I like more of the punk style stuff.

check this out
YouTube - Guns N' Roses - Locomotive Instrumental Mix a instrumental jam of a good blues based rock tune.

Other stuff that stands out to me: nearly all of AFD. Although alot of the songs are written by Izzy. 'one in a million' off of lies. When the 'Illusion' cd's came out, G'n'R had gone more ballady rock because of Axl.

Some of the Velvet Revolver stuff is great because of Slash also. Some of it just has that signature smooth feel in the leads. Can't recall any more names right now...

peace!
Thanks guys, I'll check it all out! Extra thanks for the specific tips to help me zero in.

Old 27th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbronson View Post
There have been a few leaks of stuff that ended up getting scrapped. I haven't heard them, don't really care to. GnR minus Slash = a ****ty singer and a so-so rock band in my opinion.
I think i have ESP, me and my wife were talking about this on our way out to eat this evening, my favorite 2 members on the gunners are the org drummer and Duff, axel is ok but i cannot stand the slash mobile.
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize919 View Post
For those of you that have heard some of Chinese Democracy....it's amazing how obvious the tuning is on Axel's voice. The music sounds great, but wow. You would think they would do a better job with how many millions of dollars is it now??

Maybe this is why it will never come out...Axel can't sing
There are also TONS of country records using Autotune.
Faith Hill,Brad Paisley,tons of em.
They even have special vocal tuners that come to your sessions just for that purpose.
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Just so you all know, the Chinese Democracy album is coming out!

There is about 20 demo tracks released so far for this album and some of it is pretty cool. I'm sure others will debate it.

Axl even managed to leak some recent tracks to prove it:

YouTube - Rhiad and the Bedouins - Guns N' Roses
Old 27th July 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Just so you all know, the Chinese Democracy album is coming out![/url]
Somebody should call the Mythbusters and let them verify this urban legend...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search