The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neve EQ? Here's your damn Neve EQ!!!
Old 1st February 2003
Gear Maniac

Neve EQ? Here's your damn Neve EQ!!!

Well PSPaudioware are coming out with a software based model of the 1073 Neve EQ...

tiny more info
Old 1st February 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

Neve 1073. It's not about the EQ.
Old 1st February 2003
Gear Maniac

Well if you know more than me about it than fill me in...? i guess you are saying it is also an analog channel like plug-in...
Old 1st February 2003
urumita

It's a great mic. pre and line amp also. It's electromagnetic, not a code.
Old 1st February 2003
Gear Maniac

I don't understand these coments PSPaudioware are making a plug-in based on the 1073...their other plug-ins sound good and Lexicon was willing to let them use there name for one of their plug-ins so they are obviously good at the modelling game..and I thought there would be some excitement....oh well... grudge
Old 1st February 2003
There is only one

people are just being pissy. i kinda like what psp does although i dont agree with the modelling game.... i wish they would of just put out an EQ without the neve name attached.
Old 1st February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

It'll sell alot because it looks like a 1073...... (yawn)

Bombfactory got away with the cool graphics game, why shouldn't PSP?

Who knows, maybe it'll sound good too.
Old 1st February 2003
Gear Maniac

Nice photoshop work........
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Head

Modelling is cool, but not necessarily a substitute for the real thing. A real 1073 (or LA2A, or Radio Shack mixer), does stuff to a voltage baased on how you twist the knobs. A model of one does math on the 1's and 0's that used to be a voltage before it got digitized. The point of that math is to change those numbers into what they would be if you'd put that same voltage through the real 1073 before digitally recording it. Feed those numbers to the D/A convertor, and what comes out of your speakers should be 1073-like sounds.

I'm not suggesting anyone here doesn't understand modelling, just trying to illustrate why I've always found it to be a very hyopthetical enterprise. Then again, so is recording in general, insofar as it seeks to approximate the listener experience of being in front of a group of musicians, using two vibrating cones of paper and some electromagnetism.
Old 2nd February 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize
Well if you know more than me about it than fill me in...? i guess you are saying it is also an analog channel like plug-in...
It's about the mic-pre....the transformers. What's the use of modelling a mic-pre, when it's after the a/d stage of your converter? It should be packaged with Bombfactory's Funk Logic Mastererizer. (psst...it's a joke.)
I agree...nice Photoshop work.
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Maniac

Well I will wait till I hear it
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
their other plug-ins sound good and Lexicon was willing to let them use there name for one of their plug-ins so they are obviously good at the modelling game
Modeling a digital device is a bit easier than modeling an analog device.

-Duardo
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Well how many people went out and bought/used the crappy focusrite sofwtare copies, because they looked like a focusrite.

Same thing. Howevere PSP has made some pretty kickass sounding plug-ins. Also I know alot of guys who use the 1073's for the eq on guitars etc.
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
i wish they would of just put out an EQ without the neve name attached.
I didn't see the neve name attached. But the picture does bear a slight resemblence.

Besides the Neve name is used by so many companies that the mystique is more about particular classic models than anything that says Neve on it. Of course the 1073 is one of those models.

Lets just wait and use our ears. One thing I will say is that I would never buy more than four or eight of a particular vintage pre (as if I currently have the money for two - I don't). But with a plug-in you can use as many as you like. Even if each one is only 50% as good - its still a great value.
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

Well bein a neve slut and all ive gota say this has piqued my interest somewhat!... heheheh

I hope it does sound Ok and i concur that plug ins have some a long way in the last few yrs... but there is STILL a long way to go..

I am yet to find a plug in EQ or COMP that actually increases the 'Size' of a snare drum hit etc.. or what ever.. thye are able to modelt he compression curve pretty accurately IMHO but the 'juicy' bits sonically which provide the main impetus to model in the first place are still somewhat lacking..

Altho if these EQs are kinda kool im sure we'll hear about it.. but im tipping that they wont be but im more than willing to stand corrected!

As a big cola company said in a slogan once... 'u cant be the real thing'

PEACE
Wiggy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search