The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
what would you insert between this two??
Old 31st January 2003
Here for the gear

what would you insert between this two??

Hello,
This will be my first post in this forum...

Well I just got a new micro for vocals (Neumann U87) and I am looking for a pre to put between the U87 and a Digi 192.

I am currently using ProTools HD and.. yes... I mix inside "the box". I dont do EQ before going to "tape", maybe I am looking for a single channel box... I dont know. I already own a Amek9098 and a focusrite Red1.

Any thoughts???
Old 31st January 2003
Re: what would you insert between this two??

Quote:
Originally posted by Camilo Orozco
Hello,
This will be my first post in this forum...

Well I just got a new micro for vocals (Neumann U87) and I am looking for a pre to put between the U87 and a Digi 192.

I am currently using ProTools HD and.. yes... I mix inside "the box". I dont do EQ before going to "tape", maybe I am looking for a single channel box... I dont know. I already own a Amek9098 and a focusrite Red1.

Any thoughts???
First of all welcome.

Now my question is what's wrong with the 9098 and Red 1 on the U87?

Of all the mic pre's i've ever tried on a U87 these are two of the best.

I think a better question for you is: what are you not hearing that you would like to hear in the vocal tracks?

A lot of the time to be honest, its less the mic pre but more the mic. Matching the right mic to a singer takes a lot of practice. That's why when I track singers I like having a good selection of mics to choose from.

I also am not hesitant in EQing vocals going into PT. But this takes a little know how. The U87 back in the day of analog was famous for this. It could take a truck load of EQ pretty well before and after.

I hope this helps some.

Good Luck.
Old 31st January 2003
Here for the gear

Re: Re: what would you insert between this two??

Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Now my question is what's wrong with the 9098 and Red 1 on the U87?
Nothing wrong, except that maybe I need a box with a pre and a compressor, without the EQ section. Something like the ISA430 without the deesser and the EQ... You know, sometimes you are tracking this kind of singers that do have a poor microphone-techniq and a very "wide" dynamic range and its very hard to adjust the gain of the pre... and you just want to grab a compressor...

Quote:
I think a better question for you is: what are you not hearing that you would like to hear in the vocal tracks?
Well, I like the way the red1 and the 9098 sound with the U87, but since I dont have the opportunity to experiment with other preamps I really dont know if there is something better... ( I accept that I am a gearfreak) heh heh

Quote:
lot of the time to be honest, its less the mic pre but more the mic. Matching the right mic to a singer takes a lot of practice. That's why when I track singers I like having a good selection of mics to choose from.
So... instead of buying another pre... what (vocal) mic can I look for to complement my selection??? I only have two AKG's 414 and the U87...
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Nut

I use a Distressor patched in BETWEEN the pre & the eq of the 9098 all the time. Very nice combo, very versatile.
Old 31st January 2003
urumita

The basic classic choices you have covered. The choice of having a slightly hyped rising high end or just a simple presence boost are covered with those mics. that you have.
You might want to go for some "dirtier" pres., A' la classic Neve variety or a tube something that you can "push" a bit. Already those that you have are high Q and fairly clean to the top of their headroom.
For mics. point towards the tube versions of the mics. that you already have, or a Ribbon mic.. It's always nice to have at least a pair of good mics., guaranteed by someone official to be matched. As for compression, do just enough to help the performer while tracking, otherwise you can do it later.
Old 31st January 2003
Re: Re: Re: what would you insert between this two??

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

So... instead of buying another pre... what (vocal) mic can I look for to complement my selection??? I only have two AKG's 414 and the U87...
First of all you are welcome.

I think look for a nice vocal comp.

I think the best choices are in terms of price(expensive to least expensive):

1)EAR 660-very expensive but my current favorite

2)GML 8900-expensive and super transparent, but with the right mic its perfect

3)LA2A-color and gives you that "analog" vibe

4)Tubetech CL1B-probably the most transparent tube on this list, but in a cool way.

5)Manley ELOP-sometimes its perfect, other times...

A nice vocal mic to add to your list is a Shure SM7. Its a good all around vocal mic.

And its cheap.heh
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

my alltime favourite pre for vocals (and many other things) is the avalon ad2022 .... same as the single channel M5

I like to use the 9098 as an eq on vocals and the CL1-B for compression

I am not a great fan of all in one channels ... allways something in there that's wrong (for me at least). The best one I've heard so far is the focusrite ISA 430
Old 1st February 2003
Here for the gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: what would you insert between this two??

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
First of all you are welcome.

I think look for a nice vocal comp.

I think the best choices are in terms of price(expensive to least expensive):

1)EAR 660-very expensive but my current favorite
2)GML 8900-expensive and super transparent, but with the right mic its perfect
3)LA2A-color and gives you that "analog" vibe
4)Tubetech CL1B-probably the most transparent tube on this list, but in a cool way.
5)Manley ELOP-sometimes its perfect, other times...

A nice vocal mic to add to your list is a Shure SM7. Its a good all around vocal mic.

And its cheap.heh
Thank you Thrill for your answer,

Maybe the #1 & #2 are out of my $$$, I´ll look into the La2a and the Tubetech.

You didnt mention the Distressor... why???
Old 1st February 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
my alltime favourite pre for vocals (and many other things) is the avalon ad2022 .... same as the single channel M5

I like to use the 9098 as an eq on vocals and the CL1-B for compression

I am not a great fan of all in one channels ... allways something in there that's wrong (for me at least). The best one I've heard so far is the focusrite ISA 430
Hello Chris,
Thank you for your answer. I read your posts at the DUC.
Should I buy the AD2022 to have 2 more channels of different pre, or should I buy a pair of LA2A's to complement my current selection of amps (focusrite Red1 and Amek9098)???
Old 1st February 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what would you insert between this two??

Quote:

You didnt mention the Distressor... why???

I think the Distressor on a vocal is a joke.

No headroom.

I could see it using it in the mix(with something with more headroom in front and behind), but I have never liked it when tracking vocals.

I love it on drums though.
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Chris,
Thank you for your answer. I read your posts at the DUC.
Should I buy the AD2022 to have 2 more channels of different pre, or should I buy a pair of LA2A's to complement my current selection of amps (focusrite Red1 and Amek9098)???
Unless you are needing to do stereo sources, wh ynot get two diffrent comps ( maybe a LA-2A and a distressor?) or as memtioned, a "dirtier" pre and a comp?
Old 2nd February 2003
Here for the gear

Looking for something in the "dirtier" side....

What are your oppinions in the new UA 6176 strip channel??
Its a mix of ther 610B Mic Pre and a 1176LN ...

http://www.uaudio.com/products/6176.html
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

I, personally, am not a big fan of all-in-one unit since I like to mix and match for different tracks and also like to change the order of the eq and comp in the chain.
Sometimes even ending up with something like EQ>COMP>COMP>EQ for vocals...

Also, those all-in-one boxes often dispose of interstage transformers that could be a part of the "magic" in some cases...

OTOH, if you're on a budget they may be the only practical solution.

In your case, I'd go with one or two good all around and proven performers for compression like a 1176 and/or CL1B (or a pair of trakkers maybe?).

You could later add something along the lines of a Great River NV for variation...

I would also definitely look into improving my microphoneoptions in the not too distant future...

Just my 2 pesos...

Good luck!
Old 3rd February 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol

Just my 2 pesos...

Cool! heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search