The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon Vortex
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

Lexicon Vortex

I got one of those "I'm selling my studio" e-mails (sigh ) yesterday. There was a Lexicon Vortex on the for sale list. It's a low-end effects box and (I think) hasn't been made for a few years. I remember some people really liking it for "wacky" effects, though.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it for cheap?
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

Yep. I think it's cool and unique. The tap function and how it works with the different algorithms is quite, umm... cool and unique.
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Addict

So, is it cool and unique? heh
Old 31st January 2003
There is only one

no way, its unique and cool.
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Addict

Dammit, now I'm confused. Which is it?
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

It is uniquely cool - I just wish it would save settings when you power it down.
Old 31st January 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitMus
It is uniquely cool - I just wish it would save settings when you power it down.
aside from tap tempo, you can... just stick it in the user setting. [store]
Old 16th March 2011
|-|
Lives for gear

Brought back from the dead.

The proprietary 50k dual log input pot blows out easily, causing your input to become nothing but scratch noise.

Big issue with these and the Lexicon Alex, they become unusable...

Decided to hit up Lexicon to find the part number and the slim chance of any stocked still.

THEY HAVE 130, in stock, STILL! As of March 11th 2011! Quite impressive.

Part No: 200-09545

$3.00 + shipping ($5 standard shipping)

Put this post for archival purposes to help anyone out in the future.

Keep this strange unit going! It's pretty bizarre...
Old 5th April 2011
Lives for gear

Nice to hear there are some happy users of Vortex out there. It was never a big seller for us, but those that liked it liked it a lot. You can thank Steve deFuria for coming up with the idea and Jim MacArthur for some ace coding. They both moved on, but made some nice products for Lex.
Old 8th April 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
Nice to hear there are some happy users of Vortex out there. It was never a big seller for us, but those that liked it liked it a lot. You can thank Steve deFuria for coming up with the idea and Jim MacArthur for some ace coding. They both moved on, but made some nice products for Lex.
I have a Vortex. I loved it back in the 1990's, but put it in storage when I moved to the Bay Area.

Question (that you may not be able to answer): Was everything implemented with a single algorithm, using smoothed and mixing matrices to route things around? I always wondered how the "morphing" worked, and it seems like it would rely on crossfading between different signal paths, and using interpolation between delay length coefficients and the like.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Was everything implemented with a single algorithm, using smoothed and mixing matrices to route things around
Sean, I don't remember every detail, but your description is basically accurate.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear