The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which DI should I BI?
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Which DI should I BI?

I am looking for a DI, or some DI's for work around my little project studio, and also for my live work. They will see use for live acoustic guitar preamp (Fishman Matrix), bass guitar recording, recording from my Pod (if it warms up the sound) and various re-amping (depending on each unit's sonic qualities. I am very interested in the JDI from Radial as it's cheap, and uses Jensen transformers. Garbage use them live on their Pods, bass, and outputs from Butch's Alesis drum module, and their FOH guy reckons they are FAT (maybe with a PH!). I know I can get the various Sansamps (I hear the Classic is good for everything, apart from electric guitar). Are their any others I should know about that will perform one, some, or all of the afore mentioned duties?

All help will be greatly appreciated by my mixes.
Old 30th January 2003
One with big hooves

Well, the Sansamp classic isn't a DI, it's really a distortion pedal. A really cool distortion pedal but no matter what you do it still ain't a DI. The company that makes the Sansamp, Tech 21, also makes a few "dedicated" DI's that I've never been too impressed with. Those seem to be hit or miss, sometimes great, sometimes really ****ty.

I've heard good things about the JDI but haven't used one. You'll never regret buying a Countryman or BSS DI though. For quite a bit more I like the Demeter tube DI quite a bit and I'd like to see what the new Groove Tubes DI is all about.
Old 30th January 2003
The Groove Tube DITTO is serving me well these days. Based on the DI in the Vipre.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

Since you mentioned re-amping along with the DI, you might want to consider some of the Little Labs stuff. I have their PCP, which has a guitar splitter, re-amp, and an excellent-sounding DI. It's not cheap, but I've found it to be really useful.
Old 31st January 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
The Groove Tube DITTO is serving me well these days. Based on the DI in the Vipre.
That's the one! I couldn't remember the name of it. What's the deal with it? Can you compare it to other DI's maybe a Countryman or BSS? Does it have all the variable impedance stuff that the Vipre has? (yeah I know I could find the website and look myself) Still, at $350 or so it's the first "high end" DI I've looked at that doesn't seem insanely priced IMHO. I've got nothing against the U5 and other $600 DI's but let's get real. I'd rather spend that on a mic cause it'll get more use. I digress. How is the Ditto?
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Maniac

The Ditto looks like some serious kit. I would like to check it out. I have been checking the avalon site about the U5, which I hear is preety good (lots of people at Recpit dig it). Do you think I would be better off saving a little more cash and buying the single channel Great River pre, the 1-NV, or whatever it is? I hear the pre is excellent, it has a big tranny on the output to help warm up my Pod tracks, and comes with a DI. Would this be a better option? Love the suggestions folks, keep 'em coming!
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

The Littlelabs Redeye is turning out to be pretty sweet, and if your uses include re-amping, it's a good price for both functions. As a passive direct box, it's a transparent front-end to whatever preamps you have on hand, and then with the flip of a switch it's a re-amp box with it's own dedicated i/o. I've got a line running from the DI output to the mic snake, and another from the aux sends to the re-amp input all the time, so I can track through it, hit a button, and then send anything on the board to the studio amps. Pretty nice.
My active DIs are built into pre-amps and tend to stay in the control room during tracking. I just tried plugging into the active DI in the CR, sending a balanced line out to the studio into the Redeye, and re-amping into a Twin Reverb. Very nice. Stuck a 160XT between the pre and the Re-D-eye, and all of the sudden I'm Andy Summers...
Old 31st January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by supaheef
The Ditto looks like some serious kit. I would like to check it out. I have been checking the avalon site about the U5, which I hear is preety good (lots of people at Recpit dig it). Do you think I would be better off saving a little more cash and buying the single channel Great River pre, the 1-NV, or whatever it is? I hear the pre is excellent, it has a big tranny on the output to help warm up my Pod tracks, and comes with a DI. Would this be a better option? Love the suggestions folks, keep 'em coming!

If you need a pre and a DI and don't have to use them simultaneously then the 1NV is going to save you the cost of having to buy both seperately. Most pre's come with a DI these days, and the 1NV's DI in particular sounds excellent, it's just a little different than the DI on the DITTO and neither one is really "better" than the other anymore than the Vipre is better than the NV or vice versa.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search