The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Multiple mics on bass amp stacks.
Old 13th January 2005
Lives for gear

Multiple mics on bass amp stacks.

So...

The bass player in the band I will be tracking at the weekend uses an Ampeg stack effort. I just got a quick glimpse at it today, looks like a 4 X 10 and a 1 X 15 sub.

He has kind of a cool rockish driving, pick played tone in the room happeninng. Nice and groovin' with the drummer too.

I was just wondering if anyone cared to share any experience they might have using multiple mic's on bass cabinets ?

Different mics used on different speakers ?

Placement ?

Signal processing/mixing after the fact ?

Phase alignment with Di'd signal ?

Cheers,

Nathan
Old 13th January 2005
Lives for gear

i would mic the 4x10 and the 1x15 than aligin phase with an ibp.
Old 13th January 2005
Gear Nut

I did this just before the holidays. Four tracks.

Beta 52 close to the grill. Royer 121 three feet out close to the floor pointing down 45 degrees. LD condensor (cant remember which) yet a bit further away from amp, plus amp line out.

Amp was a Laney or Hartke. Probably Laney when I think of it.

Ended up using Beta52 and Royer tracks only in mix.

/A
Old 13th January 2005
Gear Head

I often use two mics, even on a cabinet with identical or a singel driver. I like to blend two different mics to get what I'm after before I reach for EQ. Of course, sometimes a single mic is enough.

I often end up with a dynamic and a condenser. The trick is to listen for phase problems. I use Beyer DT770M isolated headphones for this. You can also have someone moving the mics around while you are listening in the control room. In general the mics ends up at the same distance from the drivers, but that can be tricky to measure, especially if the drivers are different from each other.

The same trick works great for guitar amps too.

Who knows, in your case you might be lucky and get what you want from a singel mic. Through up a couple and then most important: LISTEN!

Also remember that when you put a mic near a spaker the sound can change dramatically from a tiny movement of the mic.
Old 13th January 2005
I'd skip the 1x15 altogether (in fact I wouldn't even hook it up) and put 2 mics on the 4x10 and then use a really nice DI box like the Avalon U5. Record all 3 signals at once and make sure everything is properly phase aligned. I've been doing this lately and getting a huge bass sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search