The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking to put my own mini recording system together
Old 29th January 2003
Here for the gear

Looking to put my own mini recording system together

What gear to buy? what apps should I use?

My limitations are that I don't want proprietary equiptment. As in Pro Tools.

I'm looking to record my bass, guitar, drums, vocals and such through some gear and my computer.

I run an AMD Athlon 1.2 mhz - 256meg ram - 80 gig hd

I can upgrade everything if needed - but looking to start with what software I should use (cubase?)

And some A/D/A converter....

my buddy has a Midiman Quattro but it looks crappy and gets pretty hot in my opinion - looking to start off by spending around 300 - 500 on non computer gear...all help is appreciated.
Old 29th January 2003
One with big hooves

SM57 and some kind of soundcard with a XLR in. Or one of those Midiman Audio Buddy pres and some soundcard. $300 ain't gonna get you very far.
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Looking to put my own mini recording system together

Quote:
Originally posted by k-funk
looking to start off by spending around 300 - 500 on non computer gear...all help is appreciated.
This isn't very realistic. Get 2 boomboxes and bounce your tracks back and forth. When people ask you why it sounds like crap, tell them it's "Lo fi art" and have tape op marvel at your brilliance.
Old 29th January 2003
Here for the gear

So what would you suggest?

All I know is that my friend spent about $250 on some Midiman Quattro and is getting good results. I don't have a lot of faith in gear that gets that hot to touch so I'm looking for something better.

I can spend more but what are the basics that you'd suggest.

Is Cubase the defacto for multitrack recording? What else should I look at?

How about those break out boxes for multi inputs and such. Got any suggestions?
Old 30th January 2003
One with big hooves

The problem is that nothing is really standard anymore. There are lots of programs and hardware units that work well for multi-track recording. Which one you use is strictly a matter of preferance according to what you like and what you need to accomplish.

If you want to record live drums you'll probably need at least 3-4 mics which will run at least $100 a pop, plus a little mixer for a few hundered more, a soundcard at $250-300 and software. Not to mention stands, cables, headphones and all the other misc. crap. Your probably looking at around $800-1000 for an entry level really basic system that will let you use more then one mic at a time.
Old 1st February 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

k-funk, is there a possiblity you'd consider something like an 8 track hard drive recorder? My track needs are modest so I got
a Vestax HDR6 (6 track) recently for...
$125 on e-bay.
It has an internal digital mixer where you can also bounce tracks internally without generation loss.
Another idea might be something like a Fostex D90 or a D80 with
an upgraded hard disc. Sorta like an ADAT except you don't need to buy tapes!
For about $600, Guitar Center is selling Tascam 788's with the CD burner included, if I understood correctly.
There are other "studio in a box" ideas too.

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search