The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avalon 747
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Mix bus combo from hell..... Avalon 747 AFTER Al Smart... a joy to tune and really make the Avalon work and becomes very useful in tuning a mix's dynamics... the EQ and sidechains are the icing ont he cake and i got admit its a ****ing tasty one too!!!!!

Fletcher recommended to me once the combo of Al Smart into API 2500... he said it was 'true levelling power'... i aint tried the API yet.. but if its as good as my 3124+ its be the business!

As for other comp flavours i am keen to try Neve 33609/3114 and Dakings?

Im over the 'tube' thang for the stereo bus... gimme discrete SS or VCA action now!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

[ relentless in his gearlust, six_wax wonders... ]

Anybody laid ears on both the Fatso tape sim and the HEDD? I wonder they match up...
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Renie.

Favorite stereo EQ in this price range? For the mix buss or general purpose?

If i am mixing digital-Manley Massive Passive and Summit EQP-200

If I am mixing on an analog console-GML 8200 or a pair of Pultecs. I've also used a Avalon AD2055 EQ and a Sontec.

Best general purpose EQ-GML 8200.

I am looking foward to trying the new CraneSong IBIS EQ.

At a lower price? Hmmm....

I think the Speck EQ's were actually nice. They weren't as open as the GML (I probably wouldn't use it on the mixbuss), but they were pretty useful.

Also Klark and Techinc makes a parametric that is useful.

EQ's are tricky. They each impart their own character. When mixing I am usually using more than one at a time on single tracks, like when mixing vocals(EQ right after the D/A-comp-another EQ after). I've never found one EQ that covers all the bases. That's one reason its good to have various flavors(like compressors). Colored,non-colored,parametric,graphics,shelving, they all get used in the mixes.
hi Thrill

Thanks.

It should be interesting to hear how the Ibis EQ sounds. I thought I read you saying you hope to buy one. Cranesong must have impressed you for such hgh expectations!

Renie
Old 3rd February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
hi Thrill

Thanks.

It should be interesting to hear how the Ibis EQ sounds. I thought I read you saying you hope to buy one. Cranesong must have impressed you for such hgh expectations!

Renie

Hey Renie,

I love EQ's plain and simple.

I go on different audio "trips sometimes"(for eg I was on a compressor "trip"for a while and i bought every comp I could find(eventually i sold the one's that did nothing for me). Same goes for effects(i love outboard units and my collection is huge.) Single units and effect chains is part of my production sound(I really dug Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois growing up).

Now I am on an EQ"trip"(probably the most expensive and difficult to choose from).

I like Cranesong gear(I still use my Hedd unit everyday and in the past I've owned a STC-8). I think the EQ will be tremendous. I am going to wait a little on it though and probably pick up some other necessary items(another HD 192 interface and I may start buying some mics again. Just for vocals though).

Don't want anyone to think I am tracking again!!!heh
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Renie,

I love EQ's plain and simple.

I go on different audio "trips sometimes"(for eg I was on a compressor "trip"for a while and i bought every comp I could find(eventually i sold the one's that did nothing for me). Same goes for effects(i love outboard units and my collection is huge.) Single units and effect chains is part of my production sound(I really dug Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois growing up).

Now I am on an EQ"trip"(probably the most expensive and difficult to choose from).

I like Cranesong gear(I still use my Hedd unit everyday and in the past I've owned a STC-8). I think the EQ will be tremendous. I am going to wait a little on it though and probably pick up some other necessary items(another HD 192 interface and I may start buying some mics again. Just for vocals though).

Don't want anyone to think I am tracking again!!!heh
LOL!!

Sounds like fun travels.

Do you think the Cranesong IBIS will go for versatility or for 'one cool vibe'?

Do you have the same passion for sound sources? Certain voices/players/instruments?

cheers

Renie
Old 3rd February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
LOL!!

Sounds like fun travels.

Do you think the Cranesong IBIS will go for versatility or for 'one cool vibe'?

Do you have the same passion for sound sources? Certain voices/players/instruments?

cheers

Renie
If its Dave Hill than it will be both!!!

Of course there will be some kind of learning curve(the STC-8 took me a while to understand and none of the freelancers that came to my place could ever figure it out).

With voices I would say yeah. I like working with singers that are different but...cool I guess?lol

Unique voices and tones, but with some sort of pitch control(my ears are massively sensitive to the pitch"offenders"). Also some kinda breath support and confidence always helps.

There is a term with the "real" players that is used that characterizes what kinda musicians I like working with... I think the term is a "note". If they say you are a "note" than not only are you technically skilled, but you are "musical" as well. You can take direction but add your own "flava" to make things better. It is a real compliment.

When it comes to the instruments themselves, I kinda leave that up to the musicians. Its like if somebody recommended me, I would bring the stuff I like to make the situation a success(my own gear,mics,lava lamp,cell phone cover...etc). The good guys know what they like and why. In the past if the budget allowed it, the executive producer would buy things that we felt were needed(man how I miss the past!!!). They would just deduct it later. I acquired a lot of gear this way(hey why not try out the newest gadgets while I am at it). Back in those days they actually wanted to "one up" the next guy.

It was funny at times.heh

They would come in with stuff just because at some board meeting someone mentioned it. Like I remember someone brought in a pitbull because so and so on another record had a "so called" pitbull sample(but it was a retriever?). So to make it more authentic, "hey why not use the real thing"?

Ever try micing up a pitbull? How about trying to make it bark on cue and on the beat? The worst was this...how do you place headphones on a pit and who the hell is going to try?heh

It was one of the funniest and craziest sessions ever!!! But I have another "dog" session that would top this one. It was the "Blues singing beagle". I think his name was Beenie?...

Anyway that one is for another day!!!

heh
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

this all seems to continue to convince me to get one of these. my next two "bigger" purchases will be one of these and a new mac, esp if i can hold out for a couple months on the computer and get one of the powermacs with the ibm processors they are supposed to switch to.

anyhow. i tend to think the 747 would be a decent compliment to my daw setup. i don't know how much "warming" i should expect, but a sweet eq and maybe some compression to finish off the mix would be nice. i won't have it on the 2 bus, and i'm not pretending to master the stuff, but this should be a cool addition to what i got. also, i just don't have the scratch to go for the hedd or fatso, the other possible items i considered. it would be nice, but i can't go to the money tree in my backyard and pick off any more of those bills. pity. the real answer seems to be that this is a cool thing in it's pricepoint and anything more interesting is more moola.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search