The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M-Audio BX8 Studiophile vs. Event TR8-N Tuned Reference Monitors
Old 27th January 2003
Here for the gear

M-Audio BX8 Studiophile vs. Event TR8-N Tuned Reference Monitors

Does anyone have strong opinions regarding one or the other of these products?

• M-Audio BX8 Studiophile Powered Monitor Pair

• Event TR8-N Tuned Reference Monitors

I want to buy a pair of bi-amplified studio monitors for under $500 for a home studio. I am specifically looking at these two models. Has anyone compared these two models against each other? Obviously I know I need to go listen in person, but is anyone strongly pro or con either one of these specific models?

Here are some product links:

M-Audio BX8 Studiophile Powered Monitors

http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/studiophile.php

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/87180

Event TR8-N Tuned Reference Monitors

http://www.event1.com/Products/TR_Se...0Reference.htm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/87170

Please let me know if you have any actual personal experience with either of these monitors, or any strong opinions either way. Thank you!
Old 29th January 2003
urumita

Tuned to what? First question.

Have you heard these? Second Question.

500$ is not a lot of money to spend on monitors, especially if they're amplified. There's no third question.
Old 7th March 2004
Here for the gear

i realize this thread is kinda old, but i'm looking at these two as well. along with alesis m1. i also am curious to hear the fostex pm 2 if i can find them somewhere...

but currently at the forefront of my list are the event tr8's and the m-audio bx8's. i managed to hear em at guitar center, although the left event speaker was blocked by a big heavy console so i don't know how "neutral" their audition was.
the bass certainly seemed stronger and better defined on the bx8s, trebles were perhaps brighter on the events but i don't know if that's just because the bass seemed weaker. i9've read plenty of high freq fatigue complaints regarding the bx8's.

the m1's bass was just as powerful but a bit less defined. the hr824's sounded amazingly clean and pleasant, not necessarily a good thing... but a good thing in many respects, nonetheless.

the salesguy kept recommending the bx8's for my situation (electronic dance music, computer based studio). he also doesn't know the details which is an m-audio delta 44 soundcard, an1x synth... and not much else. anyways, he also said that the hr 824's "color" the sound way too much to make it sound good, whereas the bx8's are the truth. this sounded a little strange to me since hr824s are seemingly widely regarded as a top industry standard. but i could also see where he was coming from when he said he hates spending hours on a mixdown only to find it sounding crappy on other systems. i suppose he was mainly getting at translatability. the thing is, if we want translatability, i may as well use the speakers on my panasonic home stereo, right? well i guess i can understand the need for poewrful sturdy monitors as you would sometimes want to hear things loud. and in the end, more detail is always better; you don't want to be writing stuff you didn't know was there. i just worry that since the bx8's are seemingly bass heavy, will my mixdowns translate to being basslight. the answer is, theoretically, yes; so perhaps in the end the events are the better choice. i do however enjoy heavy bass while producing so the bx8s are the better hcoice in that respect.

it's just funny because everything i read on the net says the bx8s are harsh in the highs, but the salesguy at guitar center said exactly that for the tr8s and not the maudio bx8s.

does anyone have their own experiences with either or preferably both of these speakers? can you speak to the ear fatigue effects of these and how they compare to each other?

responses are much appreciated
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

I wouldnt say that certain monitors are better for certain music. I would say that certain monitors are better for certain ears. If you play a neutral sound - you should hear a neutral sound. If you hear strong bass from a neutral sound - it might sound good - but it will throw you off when attempting to mix.

If I were you, Id listen in a quiet environment and try to analyze what you hear. There are posts of reference CDs you could try. I like monitors to give me everything unclouded. If I desire to hear X amount of bass coming through the monitors, and Y amount comes out to which my ears hear X amount - then that works for me. (Another easier way to explain is - if a monitor has a 1db boost at X Hz, and my ears have a 1db cut at X Hz, then I will hear a neutral sound). I might tell you a certain model is perfect for me but it might not be for you. Everyone hears differently.

To be honest though, you can learn what your monitors do. So either listen and analyze to find out what would immediately work, or just buy any model and learn how it works. I would suggest the former.

I have no experience with any of the models you are looking at. But ensure that you arent buying monitors because they sound good - but that they present material clearly to you.
Old 7th March 2004
Here for the gear

i listened to these suckers again today in a different store. didn't get to do much a/b'ing cuz of the way the store is set up, but i'm gradually coming to the conclusion that the events are clearer and more "truthful". the bass port is in the back of the bx8's... whereas they are in the front for the tr8's (as well as most other monitors). i played a track which has a pretty low bass notes spanning an octave: on the bx8's, the lowest note would be incredibly strong while all the other notes were less audible. on the tr8's each note was of relatively equal volume to the next. to me that means flatter.

just what i heard anyways.
Old 8th March 2004
Lives for gear

I have a pair of NS-10s mated to an old Yamaha P2350 amp I picked up for $200 at a studio sale in Hollywood.

They'll still tell me more then anything this side of Adams and Dynaudios, and I know I'll never feel the need to sell them when I do get my Adams.

Tunes.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear