The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog Tape Primer
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Analog Tape Primer

Having just gotten an Otari 2" that is finally about to be up and running, I'm looking for somewhere on the web to get a basic analog tape machine education. It's been over 10 years since I worked regularily on an analog machine, and while I remember a fair amount, I thought I'd go back to square one and really fill in all the gaps. Eventually I'd like to be able to do my own repairs--at least some of them. So any tips on web sites, or perhaps even a good book that concentrates on analog machines? (They still have those, er, books, right?) yuktyy

Thanks for any help

rll
Old 27th January 2003
member no 666

R.T.F.M.
Old 27th January 2003
One with big hooves

Well, what exactly do you need to know? What do you remember and what's cloudy?
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
R.T.F.M.
Didn't follow you there, Fletcher, and as far as the gaps, I'm really looking for something comprehensive-- everything from adjusting azimuth, to how analog tape works, in a little more user friendly mode than my Otari manual...

Thanks,

rll
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

I'll give you three of the letters: Read The Manual. If you didn't get it when you bought the deck, Otari Tech Support can hook you up for a fee. They also tend to be pretty helpful when you need info, as well, though you might try their patience if you're asking them for a walkthrough on aligning a second hand machine.

Bear
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Maniac

yeah, got it, read the ****ing manual. Yeah we have one, thanks. Ever read an Otari manual? Makes a pro tools manual seem like a ****ing hallmark card. Part of what we're doing at my studio is bringing in younger engineers and musicians who want to get general info about analog machines-- I'd like to be able to point them to a basic guide. (As some of you seasoned pros might forget, there is a generation of people who never had a turntable, let alone a 4 track machine-- all they've known are cheap DAWS.) At the same time, I can use some brushing up myself in general, since it's been a long time since I've worked regularly on an old Studer A800... If anyone else has other info please feel free to post.

rll
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

I've got two Otari decks, and yes, I've read the manuals. They read like phone books, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good way to learn to run the machines. I can't imagine there's anything in print half as useful on that score. Maybe you should look for something out of print? I've heard good things about BBC engineers' training manuals, if you can find them.

Bear
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

The Otari manual is tedious, I agree, but it's pretty comprehensive, probably as a good a source as anything.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

Bear, you did mean ORIENTAL phone book????hummmm...:eek:
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Erik--thanks for a great suggestion, makes a lot of sense.

rll
Old 28th January 2003
member no 666

What's with all the cussing... I thought R.T.F.M. stood for "Read The Furnished Materials"... sheesh.

Erik's suggestion is also an excellent path...

Carry on.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

If only Richard Seagul still worked at Otari. He really knew his **** about all the old machines. I won't even give my opinion of their current "tech support". I have sporatic error codes appearing on my mx-80 remote, and they have been ZERO help. they had it for 6 months and did nothing but disassemble it and ship it back in pieces...... pitiful. But hey maybe this is the place to ask for help!
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
What's with all the cussing... I thought R.T.F.M. stood for "Read The Furnished Materials"... sheesh.
Nope, not to me at least.

Here's another from the tech support trenches...

dfegad U.B.F.

Mark
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey Fletcher,

I like your take on replacing '****ING' with 'FURNISHED'. Next time I'm on a session and the assistant is no where to be found , I can yell out, "Where's the furnished moron?!"

rll
Old 29th January 2003
Han
Lives for gear

http://www.flash.net/~mrltapes/headheight.pdf

http://www.bilver.com/tape.html

BTW which Otari do you have? MTR or MX?
Old 29th January 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by rll
I like your take on replacing '****ING' with 'FURNISHED'. Next time I'm on a session and the assistant is no where to be found , I can yell out, "Where's the furnished moron?!"
Geez... I usually yell: "oh pissboy" [only the good ones 'wait for the shake'].
Old 29th January 2003
urumita

Hold on there!!!
I assisted Fletcher once and it was really entertaining, I can't go into details but he never called me pissboy (to my face). Although I think we all pissed in our pants.
I learned how to allign machines on my first pissboy job. There are many ways to allign a tape machine (peak bias vs. over bias etc...), once you learn, bicycle.
To me this is the most unbelievable aspect of the current state of things. No humiliation, no respect and no knowledge of anything from acoustics on up about AUDIO. Assistants run off at the mouth without any idea of what they're saying.
If you're really opening a place to show the youngans what to do, you have to show them the way (TAO). Keep your mouth shut, help everyone all the time for any reason (know every aspect of how the studio you work in functions and use this knowledge to assist your clients), don't take physical notes but have an infinitely increasing mental checklist that you follow to the letter (or you get furnished), The Artist(S) and the service furnished to them is why you're in business and can never be compromised. Aligning a tape deck could be part of this, it would be nice. But make sure you're opening a school instead of a museum. Maybe someone needs to write a book, The TAO of AE.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search