The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How long do you warm your tubes up?
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear
How long do you warm your tubes up?

On your mics and outboard equipment? Do you turn it on the day before? Maybe kind of a silly question...
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

I'd suggest that turning them on the day before is a little extreme. 10-30 minutes should be fine.
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

30-50 mins
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

I usually just fire up my rack and gear and let it sit while I'm getting set up, however long it takes.
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

Tube gear works fine cold, I've found.
'
Old 19th July 2008
An hour should be fine IMHO. If there are two of the same model valve mic's on the vocal session the 'pro' thing to do is to have the 2nd on and ready as a back up in case the 1st one goes down (that way you don't have to lose an hour waiting for the replacement to warm up etc...)
Old 19th July 2008
Gear Addict

Absolutely no less than 30 minutes. We turn the tube stuff on every morning and off when we leave at night. When you decide you want to use the Culture Vulture or whatever on something.... you want it to be ready for action!
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

I know for guitar amps......the tubes should be warmed for at least 20 minutes before use otherwise they will wear out quicker.
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

Usually no more than 20 minutes here. At that point I usually have the singer do a couple "practice" passes. Sometimes I get great performances in those "practice" takes, and if the mic sounds a little different then I just live with it.
If we're talking other instruments, then I usually wait longer. A full hour or so.

Ed
Old 19th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
I know for guitar amps......the tubes should be warmed for at least 20 minutes before use otherwise they will wear out quicker.
I like mine on for a couple hrs, thats when they really sound sweet.
Old 19th July 2008
Gear Addict

C800G 4-6hours
CM7 1-2hours
Most other stuff 1 hour or so....
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

You know - I have begun to notice that when I do not let my guitar amp warm up sufficiently, it seems to basically sound like sh!t. When it warms up, everything smooths right out. Is this a normal phenomenon?
Old 19th July 2008
kit
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyGT View Post
You know - I have begun to notice that when I do not let my guitar amp warm up sufficiently, it seems to basically sound like sh!t. When it warms up, everything smooths right out. Is this a normal phenomenon?

Yes thumbsup
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

1.5 hours.

goes for tube gear AND mics.

GC
Old 19th July 2008
Gear Head

i start´em up about 10 minutes before setup up, then when we are good to go, it´s been around 35 minutes
Old 19th July 2008
I've got the Presonus ADL 600 tube pre-amp, and I find that it needs to be on at least a couple of hours before it settles down. It seems to make random spitting noises and thumps for quite a while when I first turn it on.

Anyone else have similar issues with tube gear? Or maybe mine is just faulty? Mine is also mounted in one of those rolling floor racks where the front face of the gear is pointing almost straight up (slight angle). Is it not good for the tubes to be that way?

Steve
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

bout 30mins or so
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

One hour seems to be fine. Don't stare at the tubes in an impatient sort of way though or they'll take longer just to piss you off.

Old 20th July 2008
No less than 40 days and forty nights.

I mean... ask yourself: "What would Noah do?"
Old 20th July 2008
Lives for gear

Not to be a butthead, but so far, no one has actually provided any factual data as to whether tubes perform better after they have warmed up or not. The fact that you think they do could just be because you're 3/4 of the way into your case of PBR...

Who can tell us empirically how long tubes need to warm up?
Old 20th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk View Post
No less than 40 days and forty nights.

I mean... ask yourself: "What would Noah do?"
Noah was a total Gearslut.. 2 of everything!!
Old 20th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar_josh View Post
I usually just fire up my rack and gear and let it sit while I'm getting set up, however long it takes.
Yup! That's exactly what I do....... + also however long it takes to roll up a nice blunt and smoke it.
Old 20th July 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
This seems quite excessive to me. In a guitar amp, tubes are warm and ready for safe operation in about 1-2 minutes. I've been told that leaving an amp on standby for long periods of time can actually contribute to cathode deterioration.
Old 20th July 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musictech View Post
I've got the Presonus ADL 600 tube pre-amp, and I find that it needs to be on at least a couple of hours before it settles down. It seems to make random spitting noises and thumps for quite a while when I first turn it on.

Anyone else have similar issues with tube gear? Or maybe mine is just faulty? Mine is also mounted in one of those rolling floor racks where the front face of the gear is pointing almost straight up (slight angle). Is it not good for the tubes to be that way?

Steve
My ADL 600 has been dead-quiet for me. I've owned a fair number of tube power amps and preamps (home audio) and been around a fair amount of tube gear, in general.

Old gear - whether a power amp or a guitar amp - can be noisy, when caps (for example) or some other parts are getting old and drifting way out of their normal range of specs.

That shouldn't be the case with a relatively new unit, such as an ADL 600 - and especially considering the premium parts used to construct each one. So, while I'm no electronics genius, I'm left to concluse that you may have a bad tube or two.

Tubes are notoriously unpredictable, as far as noise floor, microphonics, gain and lifespan. So, that's the trade-off, I suppose, for the sound.

You may want to consider swapping out tubes, if you're comfortable doing so, but watch those capacitor leads! Please consult the manual and, if you're at all unsure about the prospect of opening the unit up to do so, I would be happy to help you locate an authorized repair center in your area.

I hope that helps!

All the best,

Stefan
[email protected]
Old 20th July 2008
Lives for gear

one hour before the first session of the day seems to be about right over here.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 20th July 2008
Gear Maniac

Funny thread.
Really, I would love to see some factual data as well. What temperature do the tubes need to reach?? Doesn't take long for a tube to be too hot to touch. I can't imagine "warming" things up for an hour changing the tone. What if it's a colder day?? Do you adjust for that? Surely you might have to wait another 15 minutes. ;-)

I'm a guitarist & remember trying the "warm up my amp" for an hour before playing when I was a kid & didn't really notice a difference. One thing a lot of tube amp players mention is how their amp seems to get more compressed & the high end rolls off after playing it for awhile. Uh, that would be your ears & temporary (hopefully not permanent) hearing loss.! lol

Cheers
Sean
Old 20th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwraith View Post
Funny thread.
Really, I would love to see some factual data as well. What temperature do the tubes need to reach?? Doesn't take long for a tube to be too hot to touch. I can't imagine "warming" things up for an hour changing the tone. Cheers
Sean

Hey Sean

Today I set up to track vocals, and before the vocalist arrived for the session I set up the following chain- Pearlman TM1->ADL 600->Sebatron Nitrous->Buzz essence-> Hedd (no dsp effects) ->DAW

When testing mike/levels singing in after 30 minutes after setup- there was distortion breakup on high notes which with my voice was very very ugly. I triple checked all levels and impedance settings and 2 hours later re-tested and on singing the huge notes it was much smoother on the edges of the envelope.

I suspect this was the EF12 tube in the TM1 settling down- I dunno about the technical reasoning-all I know is what my ears told me.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 21st July 2008
Gear Nut

20 seconds. You guys are all crazy. I'm going to do some tests when I get a minute. I don't think I'll see a difference, but I'll let my ears be the judge.
Old 21st July 2008
Depends on which piece. Older stuff can take a while to settle in. I have a KM54 which likes to be turned on for 45-60 minutes before it is ready, while my Soundelux mics take 5 to 10 mintues and the 149 about 60 seconds.

I have an older 1969 which likes a half hour and the Manley stuff maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

That said, I like to turn everything on at least a half hour before the client arrives.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Head

I made the mistake of not letting my Sputnik tube mic and/or Sebatron VMP mic pre warm up for an ample amount of time before starting a session. The next morning I went to review the tracking from the previous night and there were major differences(to my ears) between the beginning of the session to the end. Almost to the point that I had to call the client back in to re-track her vocals. I now make sure my tube gear is on for at least an hour or more before even thinking about recording with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search