The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vintech pre/eq vs. Real Deal
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

Vintech pre/eq vs. Real Deal

Anyone compare...say the Vintech 73 or 81 to the real deal? Yeah...yeah...I know what the graph on the site shows....but how do they sound? Any input?
Tim
Old 27th January 2003
Re: Vintech pre/eq vs. Real Deal

Quote:
Originally posted by TML
Anyone compare...say the Vintech 73 or 81 to the real deal? Yeah...yeah...I know what the graph on the site shows....but how do they sound? Any input?
Tim
Yes i have(I own both Neve 1081 and 1073).

I have only worked with the X73.

Input?

They all work fine depending on what you need.
Old 27th January 2003
member no 666

Hehhhhhehhhehh
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

Thrillfactor-
Can you tell me how durable the unit is? Does it help to collapse the mid-range like a 1073? Does it crunchout like a 1073 when you crank the gain? Have never owned a 1081. Like the concept you get a wide range of eq points with a class A pre...unlike a A/B 1081. Plus....you can almost get three units for the price of 2 vintage ones..and not have to jerkaround all the time with old parts.
Tim
Old 27th January 2003
Tim...if you don't like it just send it back to try something you may like. There is quite a lot of good stuff on the market, including the Great River MP-2NV (no EQ on that yet, but it's coming not too far off in the future), but it's up to you and your ears to decide if you like it. BTW the X81 is Class A, the original 1081 is Class AB. There is a pretty significant tone difference there...the Vintech X81 is not supposed to be a tonal copy of the 1081, but a functional one.
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

How do esthe EQ sound in the new 4 in one pre box. Spoke to Dallas. Said he could change the spots for me although the panel wouldn't reflect this. Is the eq an after thought or are the filters cool.
Tim
Old 27th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by TML
Thrillfactor-
Can you tell me how durable the unit is? Does it help to collapse the mid-range like a 1073? Does it crunchout like a 1073 when you crank the gain? Have never owned a 1081. Like the concept you get a wide range of eq points with a class A pre...unlike a A/B 1081. Plus....you can almost get three units for the price of 2 vintage ones..and not have to jerkaround all the time with old parts.
Tim
Tim,

One studio I freelance at has (4 )X73.

He's had them for a year and half and I've never heard of a problem.

I've gone on record on saying that to me it doesn't have the same magic of a real 1073. I know this is a highly subjective statement(that's why I stated to me).

Do I use it?

Heck yeah. Never as a mic pre(to my ears its kinda brittle), but I do use it when tracking keys(also MPC 3000 and 2000). Even though the EQ has extra points, its still kinda limited(hey that's why i own a pair of 1081's and a whole bunch of other EQ's also). It doesn't crunch as solid as the real thing(I know I will catch some flak for some of these statements, but hey its an opinion).

I am one of the guys that likes the A/B sound of the 1081(i use it normally in mixing and its a color that complements the "A" sound of a 1073).

Yeah for the price its actually not bad.

Have i bought one? Nah!!!

If you gave me a board with 64 X73(or better yet X81) I would definitely be hip to that.

Tim anything can be useful, its basically up to you.
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

Thrill-
Gotcha!!
Tim
Old 29th January 2003
urumita

1081 all the way for kik sn tt, I like the 1066 better than the 1073, matter of simplicity. Haven't and don't want to hear anything new that's a copy. Go West Young Man, The Times They Are A Changin'. Lately, I've heard so many records (do they call'em that anymore) with so much distortion. It used to be a mistake, but you gotta keep the keeper. Now everybodies searchin for it. Go figure
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear
I really like the X81. I don't have experience with the originals but I've tried out a redone one by Brent Averill, some other copies, and the NV. It definetly has the same vibe except for the NV which is very different to me (in a good way). The thing I like about (Vintech) or other Neve stuff is used on mixdowns through the line input transformer. The eq sounds really great on vocals when mixing. Gives you that nice edge without being married to it when you record. I prefere other preamps for recording vocals though. I do like the preamp for recording snare and electric guitars. THe NV is more suited for recording vocals in my opinion but the lack of line input transformer really limits it's use for me. I'd of prefered that to the instrument input.
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Coldsnow said
Quote:
THe NV is more suited for recording vocals in my opinion but the lack of line input transformer really limits it's use for me. I'd of prefered that to the instrument input.
I don't know about that ....the NV Di kills on Bass,Keyboards and gtrs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search