The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyer m160 / Royer 121 comparisons Condenser Microphones
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Nut

Thanks, guys. I appreciate reading the praises of each, but if possible, can anyone who uses both be specific about how the mids and lows of both compare?

Gracias, amigos.
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

both mics are way more "expensive" and useful than their price reflects. buy them both. unbelievable bargain without having to buy used.
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Maniac

R-121s are my favorite microphones for guitars. Saddly I've never been happy any of the times that I've used them on drums. I haven't used them all that often on drums, but I thought that 160s were really great every time. Didn't care for them on guitars. I've also liked Coles on drums more so than guitars as well.

Steven
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

There´s a very nice & very cheap alternative to both the 160 and the royer.

Personally I prefer the RB 500 over both.

It´s my new to go mic for OH, percussion & guitars

Here´s a little review
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I appreciate reading the praises of each, but if possible, can anyone who uses both be specific about how the mids and lows of both compare?
Ok. Two weeks ago I had a R121 dead center (2" back) of a Marshall 18watt and a Beyer M160 beside it pointed owards the center of the cone. The chain was thus:

Les Paul Standard---->Marshall---->mics--->helios---->Rosetta---->DAW. I played War Pigs for the a/b ( heh )

The 160 was brighter overall (mids, upper mids) but the 121 had a much deeper low end. They both shared that 3D "naturalness" that I hear with ribbon mics.

If I could only choose one mic for this source, it was hands down the 160 - although the combo of both was fantastic. Having said that, this particular set up never works for me with the 121. It's always too dead sounding. But that's this set up. Throw the 121 on a Fender or Vox amp and it's a different story.

Now don't forget that the Helios pre is very smooth as well. If I ran it through an API or some of the cleaner/screatchier preamps like an octopre...who knows???

It comes down to your room, your board and your source as to which one will work better.

BTW, I recorded a trumpet last week - R121----> Helios. I can't put into words how beautifull it sounded.

Are you sick of me yet??? In case your not, I'll just add that I find myself using the 160s more than the 121. I like em better on acoustics, drum OH's or just snare and HH. I also like em on really thick guitar sounds. But I find I need both. It's like asking me which do I preffer, the electric guitar or the amplifier?
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Nothing new, but this illustrates a point about all opinions about audio - and gear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarusan View Post
...I thought that 160s were really great every time. Didn't care for them on guitars.
and then, talking about a Les Paul Standard---->Marshall source, kats wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
If I could only choose one mic for this source, it was hands down the 160...
Now it's possible that one of our colleagues was referring to acoustic guitar sources, whereas the other was clearly talking about electric guitar.

But it's equally likely that we have two perfectly valid opinions from worthy colleagues whose tastes and experiences (and maybe also musical styles and the rooms they record in etc etc) vary.

Just one more example of why it is not enough to post a " X / Y comparisons" thread on GS and wait for the opinions to roll in. You really *do* have to listen for yourself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search