The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Talk to me about word clock Mixers (Digital)
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

oh oh oh, i was just trying to make the point that it's unlikely that you would hear any difference between 2 clocks of similar price and quality, unless there was something seriously wrong with one of them..........i don't believe there are different flavours of clock like there are converters.

Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

Maybe the point is that Digi's clock sucks and a good clock helps.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
oh oh oh, i was just trying to make the point that it's unlikely that you would hear any difference between 2 clocks of similar price and quality, unless there was something seriously wrong with one of them..........i don't believe there are different flavours of clock like there are converters.

jazzius ...

I'm going to believe you like being a devil's avacado ...

Firstoff .. get yourself in front of a quality ... DA/Monitor combo .. I'm even going to refrain from suggesting one, just make sure it's accepted as a top end gear (which means better than appogee). Then do your best to round up several top end ADC's or take a little trip, even a vacation, to somplace that has a top flight studio that might be sypathetic to your cause/search, for sonic clarification. It seems that there might even be a few folk here that might accomidate this possibility .... perhaps involving some creative negotiation of valued time .. being a fellow poster/gearslut and all grggt

At that point, hopefully you're lucky enoughf to be in the presenece of at least a few high end ADC's. Something in the neighborhood of .. Prism, Weiss, Hedd192, Benchmark, DB, Mytek ... I'm sure you get the idea. It might even be intresting to bring along a few lower ticket items just for sake of comparison.

I would be willing to bet that you may well hear differences between each top end unit as well as the lower ticket items. As to which is better for the type of work you do is your decision/choice.

If you don't hear any significant difference between the clocks ... Well .... We all have different Ears .. Don't We ... rollz
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

2 cents

Good advice in the above post with a small exception.
I have (or have had most of the converters mentioned). The Apogee Trac2 is easily competitve with Weiss (I've got 'em), Myteks (had 'em)
I also have the Manley SLAM! converters wich are fantastic but so is the Apogee so use your ears.
I've heard mastering engineers complain about dBs that I thought were great. After a certain quality level, a lot depends on environment, monitors and subjectiveness. We live in a 'flavor of the month' environment so let your ears do the talking.
cheers,
chap
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius

Oh but you are so wrong .... there is definately a difference between them.

WORDCLOCK is the key ... THE most important element in getting a good sound in digital setups.

I see people talking about getting better AD, better pre's better this and better that to improve the sound of their setup. The FIRST place to start by doing that in a digital setup is to get a good wordclock.

I see too many people who have no idea how the same gear can sound so much better when properly clocked. AD convertors to start with.

There are several good ones out there, Aardvark / Rosendahl / Genex / Apogee to name but a few of the most popular ones. And all different in flavour.

The difference in sound of an 888/24 for example clocked to PT internally or clocked to an aardsync II is night and day. And if you cannot hear that difference you most likely won't hear the difference between an 888/24 and a PSX100SE and neither will you hear the difference between a SM57 and a U47.

IMHO of course that is.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Re: 2 cents

Quote:
The Apogee Trac2 is easily competitve with Weiss (I've got 'em)I also have the Manley SLAM! converters wich are fantastic but so is the Apogee so use your ears.
Power to Apogee if they improved. Aside from my mild aversion to anything that doesn't match it's truumpeting power in quality. Havn't heard the Trac2. Any prior unit never seemed to hold water in any A/B came across. That said .. meybe they finally realized it.

Ditto on the Slam ....

Quote:
Originally posted by chap
After a certain quality level, a lot depends on environment, monitors and subjectiveness.
Ditto again ...
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Typo's ... ... evileye
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

remember, it's all about which monkey is flipping the switches!
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
They're both quality, but the Aardsync is 2-3 times as much as the Lucid--hopefully you get something for your money. (Though that's no guarantee, for sure...)

I've only heard the Lucid, but hearing how big a difference it made to a PT system--really, only by switching one clock for another--it doesn't seem farfetched that switching the Lucid out for something else would be plenty audible.

But if not, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong either...
PT sytems of the past have many times been accused of having particulary bad clock sync. Possibly this is the reason that some people consider the sound of PT isn't good, so maybe to compare the improvement made by using a stable clock with PT isn't a fair comparison. I would however personally suggest that any decent clock system should improve sound over a bad one. I can't believe that Aardsync because it is 2-3 times the money of a good clock system is really going to make a difference in sound. For me it starts to fall into the realms of directional cables!

I do remember recently looking at the RME site and reading about their wordclock accuracy, and from the text it was implied that there was a limitation on the accuracy of sync achievable using wordclock at all! If indeed this is the case, it would appear to be common sense that any equipement meeting the limitations of the system would turn in top performance.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/adi8.htm

Makes interesting reading. I like probably everybody here has heard problems with bad wordclock, but I have never had any problems with achieving good clock with a little thought applied.

Regards

Roland
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Ok,
Thanks for the info,I guess the bottom line is clock can make a huge improvement but (as always) very system dependent.

A new Lucid clock is on the way(Thanks Mercenary)....I'm anxious to see what kind of difference it will make.
I'm about finished mixing an album project so I'm particularly hoping I will see an improvement to these already recorded tracks as well as freshly tracked tracks.
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Please post your results.. and let us know! Congrats on the new Gear!
Old 29th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
I'm about finished mixing an album project so I'm particularly hoping I will see an improvement to these already recorded tracks as well as freshly tracked tracks.
You'll hear the improvement more when recording new tracks than on the tracks you've already recorded. If the Lucid clock is up to snuff, you'll wish you'd recorded everything with it. I've seen this go down a hundred times now.
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Jax wrote..
Quote:
You'll hear the improvement more when recording new tracks than on the tracks you've already recorded. If the Lucid clock is up to snuff, you'll wish you'd recorded everything with it. I've seen this go down a hundred times now.
Sadly,
I have a feeling your right
Old 29th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

(lol)

Well, if enough people like your music at least as much you do, it shouldn't matter. They'll just like it even more next time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search