The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to make money, or how to make MORE money - recording computer game music
Old 1st January 2005
How to make money, or how to make MORE money - recording computer game music

Old 2nd January 2005
Lives for gear

I would love tp hear more on this!
I have a client from a band that I am thinking of picking up separately for games/scores. He is incredible and this is what he wants to do. My contacts lie more in the music field. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this guy some work? Of course it helps me because he would do all his recordings with me.

thanks
daniel
Old 3rd January 2005
Gear Head

Like so many lines of work, who you know means a lot. With that said, you should seek out "Creative Directors" and "Producers" (preferably not assistant or associate but take what you can) at game development companies and publishers and get your work in front of them.

It's probably much easier to get in with a small developer, but they seem to be getting fewer and farther between. Also, smaller might mean less money, but you have to start somewhere.

Also, many companies have in-house composers, so that's a consideration as well. Check out the job listings at www.gamasutra.com for an idea of some of the companies out there. Of course, living in San Fran, L.A., Vancouver or a few other cities doesn't hurt.

Cheers,

Keld
Old 17th January 2005
Gear Head

In the UK, the best place to look for music/composer jobs in computer games industry is a magazine called "Edge" (or maybe "the edge". They often list composer positions available., and also there are many good agencies who will find suitable jobs for you. Don't know if that magazine is available elsewere, or if you might be able to find it online?

I worked for Stainless Software for 8 months as a composer/music-creator, and did all music and SFX on the second part of the Game "Carmageddon" (The "Splat-Pak"), which was voted number-one game in the world.

It can be a fun job!

Chris
http://www.chris-melchior.com/strings.htm

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search