The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer 900 Console anyone Turntables
Old 30th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Studer 900 Console anyone

Hello my dear slutz!
I might be able to get my dirty little hands on a Studer 900 console (32/8/2) and can't get any information about this desk at all! There are probably not too many of them around though, and that might be a reason! This desk was apparently at the Deutsche Oper Berlin installed from '86 until '96. The original VU meters have been removed by Studer and replaced by group LEDs.
It is not an inline desk (I will get the technical details mailed soon) and I am currently using a Soundcraft Ghost 32 channel mixing desk (which we are quite happy with as we use Logig Pro and outboard gear. There seem to be compressors in every channel, but the Gonjometer (is that a phasemeter?) is apparently not included.
Has anyone ever worked on such a desk? Any oppinions (maybe on Studer desks in general)?
Any information or advise greatly appreciated!!
The price would be arround € 7.800,- (and no, it is not on sale on ebay...)
Thank you in advance!!!
I have added some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 900 Console anyone-studer.jpg  
Old 30th December 2004
Gear Maniac

1/4
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 900 Console anyone-03_3.jpg  
Old 30th December 2004
Gear Maniac

2/4
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 900 Console anyone-3a_3.jpg  
Old 30th December 2004
Gear Maniac

3/4
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 900 Console anyone-86_3.jpg  
Old 30th December 2004
Gear Maniac

4/4
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 900 Console anyone-91_3.jpg  
Old 30th December 2004
Lives for gear

Hi Robert,

I have a 962 mixer. It is similar to yours but smaller and the EQ is simpler. They sound very good, more clean than coloured. Great preamps, lots of headroom etc. Super high build quality.
Old 31st December 2004
Gear Maniac

Thank you echorec for your opinion!!!
Anyone else? Only one member here on the whole forum with an opinion or experience with a Studer board?
Please all of you (ex) Studer desk owners/ operators...voice your advice! I have to make a decision within ten days! To Studer or not to Studer...
Old 31st December 2004
Gear Maniac

Hi.
6 years ago i did a record with my former band on one of this console, recording to DASH. I'll second the comment above, I remember it sounding verry clean, hearing lots of details. The onboard stuff was pretty useful. The only thing is that it doesn't sounds like a well known console - Neve, Api, Trident , SSL. It's just a good board with a clean sound, responsive EQ and headroom - no signature of any kind.
Old 31st December 2004
Looks great!

Old 31st December 2004
Gear addict

I have a 269 (is it the same as a 962??), and I would basically repeat what echorec said (haha). I've commented on this board a number times here about it - try a search to get more info.

I would want to know the state of all of the channels - if they've been recapped, etc. I like the eq, bus compressors are cool.

Overall I think you would like it a lot, with the usual questions about the type of music you work on, etc.

Have fun!
Old 1st January 2005
Lives for gear

Robert you don't ask to change the Ghost for a Studer seriously? heh heh heh

That desk will blow your Ghost out of the water in any imaginable way. I worked on one Ghost and on 2 Studers.

It's not even fair to do a compairison IMNSHO.

It's not a colorful board - but it has very good eq and enogh headroom for most AE. It's fully modular and you should be able to get spare parts from Studer.

Get this ****ing desk

Happy New Year (and don't feel urged by me to getting that Studer)

Jo
Old 3rd January 2005
go for it! i've got a 12 channel version of the same desk...in fact the desk you want to buy was in ebay here in germany.
the sound quality is absolutely amazing and the eq's are highly musical. before we got the suder we were working on a tascam m3500...you can't even compare the two! the only bummer is that replacement parts are very expensive. i wanted to get a second stereo bus (just the stereo fader) and studer wants 1200,-- €!

best, monobeat

www.monobeat.com
Old 3rd January 2005
Gear Head

wow! I would buy it today if I could...

I have a 12chn. studer and its amazing!

I also have api,manley and other good stuff - the studer is the same league
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

Take my little reply with a grain of salt, since I haven´t used this particular console. However, the Studer board and tape players I´ve worked with a couple of months at a radio station sound awesome, Clear and sweet (I used the board with a U87, some other mics and a couple of analog and digital players). As monobeat wrote the spare parts are unfortunately very expensive - a mono mic channel was 39000 sek in Sweden, which is about $5900 or €4300. The stereo channels cost 75000 sek ($11300 or €8300)... Good luck!
Old 4th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey!
Thank you all for your input - very much appreciated!!!
From what I hear, it should be a very good sounding little console. I really have to make sure that all channels and all other parts are working properly, as any replacementpart would just cost a second hand car!! I have to spend some time testing the board. In terms of monitors and Aux sends I will be a bit compromised compared to the Soundcraft, but if the soundquality is that much better, I have to find ways working arround these problems. Would be so nice though if the desk was an inline desk...Anyways, I'll have a close look into this, and have to meet my bank manager soon now!!!
I let you guys know what's happening, and hopefully have some pics with it installed in our room soon, if the audio gods are with me and make this deal happening!! Please cross fingers that I'll be able to finance it!!
Thanks for infos to Sweden, und vielen Dank nach Berlin und in die Schweiz fuer eure Meinungen, es ist auf jeden fall gut ein paar Profis mit Erfahrungen an einem Studerpult zu hoeren!!
Bis bald!!
Old 13th May 2006
As an update,

I dropped by Roberts studio here in London last week and I have to say this desk is pretty amazing.

Great build quality
All parts still available
Fantastic EQ
Amazingly low system noise
Lots of headroom
Looks great
Wacky compressors on each channel (the small buttons & knobs at the top of the faders)
The arm rests are pretty crazy.. they fold down and reveal an insert patchbay. Yep! It aint hollow under there, its been put to use..

Robert and and his studio partner report that they 'forget' to use their outboard mic pre's (and they have some GOOD ones) as the onboard pre's are so good. (And I can fully believe it)

Very cool purchase...

Old 14th May 2006
oh yes these little desks sound amazing. i'm still in love with mine. even though it only has 12 channels and no compressors. the mic pres and eqs are out of this world. a real master section. and highly customizable.
if my infromation is correct even this small 12 channel version cost approx € 50k back in the early 80s.

the "fold out" patch bay looks funky .... but doesn't score full ergonomy points.

cheers, warner
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wow this is amazing... heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
As an update,

I dropped by Roberts studio here in London last week and I have to say this desk is pretty amazing.

Great build quality
All parts still available
Fantastic EQ
Amazingly low system noise
Lots of headroom
Looks great
Wacky compressors on each channel (the small buttons & knobs at the top of the faders)
The arm rests are pretty crazy.. they fold down and reveal an insert patchbay. Yep! It aint hollow under there, its been put to use..

Robert and and his studio partner report that they 'forget' to use their outboard mic pre's (and they have some GOOD ones) as the onboard pre's are so good. (And I can fully believe it)

Very cool purchase...
Congrats to Robert! And as another update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by echorec
Hi Robert,

I have a 962 mixer. It is similar to yours but smaller and the EQ is simpler. They sound very good, more clean than coloured. Great preamps, lots of headroom etc. Super high build quality.
...I'm glad to say that I'm the new owner of echorecs old 962 mixer! Hi echorec!

And I can only agree to all of the above statement! A great sounding mixer! heh Unfortunatily I havn't had so much time lately to fully explore it but from just testing all the functions I can tell I'm gonna like this mixer. 20 inputs in total with 4 compressors and 4 limiters! heh

/Cojo
Old 14th May 2006
The Void Studio in Eindhoven Holland has one of those. Sounds warm and detailed. (hupla two clichés in one sentence)
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Studer 900 series inserts

Hi Slutz...

I have a pretty basic question to ask you guys. Hope i can get an answer.

I might be buying a Studer 903 these days. But there is still something that is bodering me a little. For what i see the inserts in these desks are in the arm rest, which is definetly not a turn on for me. Also i still coudn´t understand where is actually the insert sends and insert returns as in the arm rest there is only 1 jack socket per channel.
Could someone please explain me how do the inserts work in these desks?
Where are the insert sends and insert returns, and is the arm rest the only place to plug them?

Cheers!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

inserts can be a bit tricky on the 900 series as there are several types:

- the top row is an unbalanced -10db insert send and return for each channel, wired to a balanced jack socket. one wire is ground, one send, one return (refer to manual for correct tip, ring, sleeve configuration). you could use them directly, but unbalanced with a y-cord.

- the bottom row usually has at least two jack sockets. these can either go to unbalanced jacks on the back of the console but in most cases they go to a balancing unit eurocard and then to a balanced +4 xlr send-return on the back of the console. if you find eight or more sockets in the bottom row, they are likely to come up on a siemens connector on the back side.

the thing under the armrest is sort of a patchbay. you use a balanced jack cord to make a connection from the top row to the bottom row and have your outboard connceted to the back of the console (or a patchbay).

so check the bottom row, and the back of the console that should give you an idea of how many inserts you can actually use. on the back they could be labelled as either insert send/ret or as booster amp in/out. i've seen both. also check how many 'balancing unit' eurocards are in place.

hope this clears things up for you
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Hi Sonic dom,
That helped me out a lot! Thanks for you answer!
I´ve attached some pictures of the back and of the arm rest. Maybe you could give an opinion on the inserts of this particular 903.
The booster sockets on the back only seem to go from 1 till 8, and I can only see 1 jack socket on the armrest per channel.

Any ways you were great help!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 900 Console anyone-p1190289.jpg   Studer 900 Console anyone-p1190292.jpg   Studer 900 Console anyone-p1190291.jpg   Studer 900 Console anyone-p1190290.jpg  
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

you're welcome.

to me it looks like you'll have 8 balanced inserts on this particular desk. and correct, you'll have only one socket per channel on the top row, but you can connect a cable from the top row to any of the eight in the bottom row. the bottom row is basically your link to the outside world of the desk.
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Ok now i get it!

Very much grateful!

Cheers
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdom View Post
[...]
the bottom row is basically your link to the outside world of the desk.
A very intelligent way of dealing with the wacky world of "mixing & matching" -10/+4 / balanced/unbalanced gear.

Old 25th March 2015
Here for the gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search