The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu Mach Five - a dream come true ???
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

Motu Mach Five - a dream come true ???

Is this the soft sampler I have been waiting for ???

The first to offer seamless integration woth Pro Tools - reading every desired format from akai - emu - kurzweil - exs .......... even SAMPLECELL yes .... exactly .... good news for abandoned samplecell users grggt grggt

promising ..... very promising indeed ... can't wait to get my hands on it.

www.motu.com
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

Depends on the dreamer..

Yes, it uses the same 'engine' as Spectrasonics (Stylus etc) plug-in's, so will allegedly be rock solid, unlike Unity and Kontakt.

As Direct connect will get dropped with OSX (correct info?) I expect that any supported samplers will be more reliable and better integrated with PT.

So the next consideration will be down to the interface and the quality of the translations. Unknown at this point, other than the interface does not appeal to me from the screen shots, it looks like a teenage boy's duvet cover..

Also, apparently MOTU are not very hot on support, which is offputting. I've bought Kontakt and Translator so I'll be watching developments closely.
One things for sure, at last, for those of us using samplers, Pro Tools and Mac's the options and outlook is improving.
Old 23rd January 2003
There is only one

i hear the UK support [which is handled by some other company] is pretty good.

personally, i have never had a problem with MOTU's support. getting through is the hardest part but i usually get through within a couple dials.... better to get a busy signal than sit in a hold que running my long distance up. i have only had to call them a handful of times and they really make sure your problem is solved and dont rush you off the phone.

i dont think i have ever seen a duvet cover look like the screen shots... but i havent been in any teenage boys bedrooms since i was one. looks more like the mackie controller to me.
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

as long as it works right and does everything it is supposed to do without hickups it can look like a Barbie and Ken wardrobe for all I care.
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

I'm interested in its vaguely-promised streaming feature.

While it supports giga-format, it doesn't support disc streaming this go-round, with the feature promised for the future (no dates given).

If and when it can STREAM giga samples (which it CAN'T do yet), it will rock.

-M.M.M.
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Anybody knows when it`s available ?
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

according to the cute looking girls at the MOTU stand in Frankfurt it IS available ... but I couldn't help having the impression that they didn't know what they were talking about.

No other people available at the stand at the time.
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
according to the cute looking girls at the MOTU stand in Frankfurt it IS available ... but I couldn't help having the impression that they didn't know what they were talking about.

No other people available at the stand at the time.
I think they were talking about the Porsche Cayenne -- I think they did the car show the week before.

-mattiMattMatt
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Addict

cost$?

ml
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by muddy
cost$?

ml
back when I first heard of it the Belgian motu rep said something in the 400 Euro end user price range ... but I might be completely wrong.
Old 13th March 2003
Here for the gear

$369.00 at Sweetwater in USA. I preordered mine yesterday and they said initial shipments are due April 11th with a follow up on the 15th.

We'll see about that.

Eric
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Depends on the dreamer..

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Yes, it uses the same 'engine' as Spectrasonics (Stylus etc) plug-in's, so will allegedly be rock solid, unlike Unity and Kontakt.

Not really about defending NI, as I´m somewhat disappointed that we PC users have to wait still till whenever middle / end of the year for it as RTAS, - but Kontakt being unstable?

In my PC at least it seems to be the most stable software.
It reads most formats, can emulate and has disk streaming since a couple of weeks too.

BTW, stable / unstable. Since syncing externally, formerly so nicely running PT LE slows down and crashes the system each time when being closed ( fatal exception occured / runtime error / blahablah ).
- Also loosing files at crashing ( mostly only DAE ones, but sometimes also PTS ).

Anybody who could imagine a solution?

Ruphus
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

anyone have news on machfive availability ??? .... would have thought it had come out by now ???

It isn't even listed in the www.motu.com product pages.
Old 26th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Lately I've been wondering what kind of computer it would take to run MachFive in 192khz mode with a reasonable amount of synths/samples...especially coexisting with real audio.

My p4 1.7 ghz shits a brick at 96khz with less than generous amounts of tracks.
Old 27th June 2003
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Heterodox
[B]Lately I've been wondering what kind of computer it would take to run MachFive in 192khz mode with a reasonable amount of synths/samples...especially coexisting with real audio.

Shit man! You muss be eatin those pain killer like candy!

How are you crazy person?

Get over that wisdom teeth nightmare?

Old 27th June 2003
Gear Maniac

No. I had an emergency surgery for a potentially fatal abscess (infection) in the lateral pharyngeal space. Your carotid artery and internal jugular vein are housed here, as well as some major nerve structures (YaY death). By noon Sunday I was on a respirator (nostril mounted no less), catheder, and a morphine drip. I got out on Tuesday.

I was waiting to get my pictures back tommorrow before I commented on it. =\
Old 27th June 2003
Mindreader

I think you should post some pictures up
Old 27th June 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
anyone have news on machfive availability ??? .... would have thought it had come out by now ???

Sshhhhh. Hear that?

It's the sound of vapor ware.
Old 31st August 2003
Lives for gear

well it's out .... waiting for the first boxes to arrive ....
Old 1st September 2003
Lives for gear

jeez ... having us wait for so long and now this .....

mine should arrive today .... I'll still try it but with very little hope of success.
Old 2nd September 2003
Gear Maniac

Got mine Saturday!!! I will keep you al posted, but don't know how much help I will be, since I haven't used any other software samplers - will be using it mainly for strings and horns...
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Stizz
... but don't know how much help I will be ...

just by letting us know if it works or not ... how stable it is and telling us what computer / system you run it on will be a help.
Old 2nd September 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
just by letting us know if it works or not ... how stable it is and telling us what computer / system you run it on will be a help.
I will install it this evening, unless my composer/wife is working on the system again - then I dare not interrupt!

I will be running a G4 1.25 MHz mirror door, 1.25G RAM, DP 4.01 on OS 10.2.6 , and / or DP 3.11 on OS 9.2.2 - I have seen mized reports so far (lots of negatives, but it's a user forum) at www.unicornation.com
Old 3rd September 2003
Lives for gear

I pre-ordered the mach five and waited over 2 months before it finally shipped from MOTU. Sweetwater did not charge my card. Their policy is to not charge cards until backorders are there and in-stock, something I like about the company vs others...

Now if I could use it on my main audio PC, instead of the older Mac that would be great!
Old 3rd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Within the parameters of what I'm using it for, it's been stable for me so far (only just embarked on my first real-world use of it, though, after some tests and getting-to-know-you stuff).

But I think most users--especially here--would be considering it for things that fall outside those parameters (like playing libraries, instrument simulation, large patches with a whole lot of velocity-switched samples, etc). I'm just using it to manipulate bits of stuff taken from vinyl and edit the samples in-the-sampler rather than in-the-DAW or in-the-two-track-editor.

Current work is just about maxing out Logic on an 800mhz powerbook with 40 instances with one to three 96/24 samples loaded per instance (no multi-out in audio units or pro tools, so most of those instances are drum hits being divided up to channel strips); no other plug-ins running except channel eqs.

I get the feeling folks intending to play high res strings or something like that will be wanting to wait until it's streaming (which is, um.....?).

For what it's worth...

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 4th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bombguy
Windows support is due to follow one month after first ship, with streaming support a month after that.

Since Sweetwater announced it was available in April, that means this will all be available this past June.

Hope that helps. ;-)
Me, I'm just looking forward to multi-out for audio units (which falls in the "yeah, we're unofficially planning on adding it" category, as opposed to the "officially working on it" of windows and streaming support), oh let's say next August or so, maybe sometime in 2005... ;-)

That said, as shipped, and for my particular uses, I'm enjoying using it.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 6th September 2003
Lives for gear

FWIW :

I installed Machfive HTDM / RTAS on a PT HD 6.1 system yesterday and have been fiddeling around with it. As allways I try to crash it to see how far I can take it.

I managed to crash it once : in a situation where one person was banging the midi keyboard while I was trying to change presets / parameters / FX .... ProTools suddenly quit at a certain point while changing an FX preset. Since then I wasn't able to reproduce a crash or a quit using MachFive. Neither when using it as a HTDM or a RTAS plugin.

I've read about issues when using HTDM and RTAS together in the same session but I didn't get it to crash.

At one point I was doing a test session with :

Virus Indigo (HTDM) ... playing 1 midi track arpegiator
Synth one (HTDM) ... playing 1 midi track pad
2 Stylus (RTAS) playing 2 midi tracks percussion loops
1 Trilogy (RTAS) playing 1 midi track bass
1 atmosphere (RTAS) playing 1 midi track pad
1 Machfive (HTDM) playing 5 midi tracks channel 1-5 with different fx / drums / keyboard sounds
1 Machfive (RTAS) playing 5 midi tracks channel 1-5 with different fx / keyboard sounds

8 stereo audio tracks playing imported loops

ok, granted that musically the session was a mess ... some tracks were playing random notes and the audio loops didn't exactly match one another .... but it wasn't about making a grammy award winning tune.

All midi was recorded and edited (quantize / velocity changes / note lenghts) in a 16 bar loop (tempo 130). I hardly stopped Protools while buiding the session. Only for the necessary stops like creating new tracks ...

All the rest was done while with PT in play punching in / out the midi tracks.

It didn't crash once. Which kinda makes me confident that MachFive will prove to be a stable plugin.

I know, one shouldn't base such a judgement on one small session like that and it might turn out very different with huge sessions. But this session had more midi running at the same time then I will ever use. I hate midi enough as it is to record everything to audio, even in very early stages of arrangement building.

I will definately report back if this situation should change in the future or if I find out about certain issues / bugs / crashes etc etc ... which possibly might occur when trying to automate midi controllers for MachFive for example , something I haven't tried yet (and hardly ever will realy) but for now all I can say is that it realy works ... and it works well. very well.

The UVI extract is a dream come true ... I've only done a couple of Akai and Emu CD Roms up till now but they all worked. The extract works kinda slow but today I've been running it in the background all day without any problems at all while editing sessions in PT.

The interface is very comprehensive and easy to use. A quick 'read through' the manual was enough to get me started ... took me about an hour to find all the main sampler functions like editing groups / layering etc etc ... for someone who has ever done this in any hardware sampler like an akai or an emu this should be easy .....

If one critisism right now it is the lack of a import sample feature within the plugin. OK, the drag and drop is nice but rather complex I think. One has to switch between the finder and PT to do that and that's a hassle. I'd rather see a drag and drop through the digibase for example ... something that doesn't seem to work in this version. Or a drag and drop from a region in PT to the sampler ... that kinda stuff.

One very nice feature is the replace sample where it will instantly play back the selected new sample from the browser window when selected. Play back as in the midi part that is playing the sample .... very nice to audition a new sample in your current song

I'm glad it's finally there and will be using it a lot.

If it stays stable that is ....
Old 6th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
If one critisism right now it is the lack of a import sample feature within the plugin. OK, the drag and drop is nice but rather complex I think. One has to switch between the finder and PT to do that and that's a hassle. I'd rather see a drag and drop through the digibase for example ... something that doesn't seem to work in this version. Or a drag and drop from a region in PT to the sampler ... that kinda stuff.
Try these to call up the same file browser you get for replace sample:

1) there's an icon on the side of the expanded keymap window

2) option-double-clicking in an open zone or on a key (to assign the sample to a single note)... (or is it command-double-clicking... don't have my copy handy)

Region drag n drop'd be nice, though for the moment it's a DP-only feature.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 6th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ttauri
Try these to call up the same file browser you get for replace sample:

1) there's an icon on the side of the expanded keymap window

2) option-double-clicking in an open zone or on a key (to assign the sample to a single note)... (or is it command-double-clicking... don't have my copy handy)

Region drag n drop'd be nice, though for the moment it's a DP-only feature.

Peece,
T. Tauri
yes I found those .... it's command double click btw ... but that browser window doesn't let you audition the sample you want to import

I would like to say create a new preset ... no samples in there ... and then browse the TONS of samples and loops on my disks, and audition them like I do in the digibase ... and then import them into a preset.

The only way I can do that now is to audition and write down or remember the exact locations of a sample I want to import with digibase .... then call up the finder and go to that location ... set the window at a convenient position with that sample allready selected .... then call up Protools .... minimise all the windows except the M5 plugin in a way that I can see the finder window in the background ..... and then without loosing too much time click / drag and drop the selected sample from that background window ......

And I have to repeat that same procedure for every sample I want to import ..... kind of a hassle ....

anyone with better tips ....

Oh wait ... just figured one out myself ... DUH .... I can ofcourse use the previous mentioned browser window and import them with that command double click window and thus surf to the different sample locations.

But still ... one step too much .... would rather auditions and choose within the plugin.

Oh well ... you know what I mean ....
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear