The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking a band
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Addict

Tracking a band

Quick question.

You have a band you want to track for a demo. They cannot play to a click at all.

Would you just create a new session, mic up, and hit record, ignoring the tempo grid of the session? Doing multi-takes, punches, etc. That is obviously over simplified but my main question just revolves around the session tempo. To me it seems like you would just ignore it since they cannot play to it.

Thoughts from people with experience?
Old 15th July 2008
CKK
Lives for gear

A click track will only do more damage if the band cant play. Let them do "their thing" as they do in the rehearsal room. Let them have fun, and record the outcome as it was done on tape - from beginning to end, without punch ins/outs. Let them do 5-10-100 takes, if thats what they want (and pay for), and pick the best of the recordings - that has been done on countles hit records (with bands that couldnt play).

Now, when they are done, tell them what they need to do better the next time they want to record in a studio. Tell them to rehearse to a metronome, tell them to rehearse bass and drum lines alone (to get a feel of the "swing"), tell them to practice the wonderful craft of musicmaking - and then come back to record some more.

Dont stress them too much. Dont be a "producer" - be their "best friend" for the day.

Old 15th July 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks, I am a metronome based player in my project studio. Some friends in a local band wanted me to record a demo and that was worrying me a bit. Have never recorded to anything but a click.

Tip appreciated (and overall sounds easier). Let them send off the tracks for real mixing and hopefully at least can capture a decent demo sound for them.
Old 15th July 2008
CKK
Lives for gear

You are welcome.

If its "just a demo", why dont you mix it yourself?
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
You are welcome.

If its "just a demo", why dont you mix it yourself?
Probably give it a try. Use it as a learning tool worst case.

If they want to pay to have a better mix, they will have the files. Your right though, just a demo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search