The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee is late for the ball, the Belle had arrived
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Maniac

Apogee is late for the ball, the Belle had arrived

On the heals of the Mini-me's success comes the expected:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/prod_minidac.html

But wait, the DAC-1 ROCKS for 2 bills less. What's up with that ?
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

Well, it retails for $200 more...anyone know what it will actually sell for?

Also, that USB functionality is pretty cool.

-Duardo
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

The USB functionality actually makes it better than the Benchmark for many applications. Combining a good laptop with the MiniME and the new miniDAC would be cool. No need for other interfaces for great 2in 2out.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
The USB functionality actually makes it better than the Benchmark for many applications. Combining a good laptop with the MiniME and the new miniDAC would be cool. No need for other interfaces for great 2in 2out.
Well I guess I come from the old school. I prefer superior sound quality to 'functionality.'

I have both Apogee and Benchmark converters. The Apogees are for sale.
Old 30th January 2003
Super Moderator

TL,

Does the Benchmark really blow away the Apogee hands down?
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
TL,

The Benchmark has better detail, a bigger soundstage and dynamics. IMHO it's significantly better.
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Remoteness
TL,

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Benchmark has better detail, a bigger soundstage and dynamics. IMHO it's significantly better.
The Apogee we're talking about in this thread (the MiniDAC) hasn't even started shipping yet, so how do you know that the Benchmark is "significantly better"?

-Duardo
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Maniac

Because before manufacturers ship products one of the things they often do is make prototypes available to studios to use.
Old 31st January 2003
Mindreader

Just been reading the apogee minidac page -

Am I wrong, or does it say you can use any other converter with the minidac? That means you could use the DAC-1 with the mindac doesn't it?
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Maniac

Yup, you can use them together.
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because before manufacturers ship products one of the things they often do is make prototypes available to studios to use.
So Apogee's given you a prototype to use, you've tried it out and decided that the Benchmark's better and now the Apogee is for sale?

-Duardo
Old 6th February 2003
Max
Lives for gear

No Mini-DAC prototypes have been made available yet.
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Max
No Mini-DAC prototypes have been made available yet.
I wasn't referring to the Mini-Dac.
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
I wasn't referring to the Mini-Dac.
Well that's what we're talking about here dumbnuts!dfegad
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

I said that the MiniDAC wasn't shipping yet, so how do you know the Benchmark is better? You said "Because before manufacturers ship products one of the things they often do is make prototypes available to studios to use." So if you weren't referring to the MiniDAC, what were you talking about?

And again, if you weren't referring to the MiniDAC, how can you say "The Benchmark has better detail, a bigger soundstage and dynamics. IMHO it's significantly better."?

Just curious-

-Duardo
Old 7th February 2003
Gear Maniac

It's been pointed out to me that the instance where I heard and compared a number of new A/D converters was under the auspices of a strict NDA. I'm afraid I've already said more than I should have. I didn't know about these conditions as I was a guest. Had I known the circumstances I wouldn't have posted here.
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Addict

I don't suppose anyone else has an actual, unbiased comparison of the mini-DAC to the Benchmark - eh? And, just how portable is the Benchmark. If the Apogee is a lot smaller - then its kind of apples and oranges. Power-draw is an issue too.
Old 12th February 2003
Max
Lives for gear

NDA with Apogee?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
It's been pointed out to me that the instance where I heard and compared a number of new A/D converters was under the auspices of a strict NDA. I'm afraid I've already said more than I should have. I didn't know about these conditions as I was a guest. Had I known the circumstances I wouldn't have posted here.
First of all, I am not sure what your real name is, Tubelover, so I guess it's possible that you are under NDA with us, although highly unlikely. For the sake of argument, lets assume you are under NDA with Apogee. You would still have had no access to the Mini-DAC as we have made none available to anyone outside the company.

Again, that is none. No one. Nada. Finito.tutt

Hope this clears things up.
Old 13th February 2003
Mindreader

Thanks Max

Old 13th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Yeah Max, go for it. You can say anything you like and I can't dispute it or I'm liable.

Oh well.
Old 13th February 2003
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
Yeah Max, go for it. You can say anything you like and I can't dispute it or I'm liable.

Oh well.
This is laughable. Based on your last comment, I am absolutely sure you are not under NDA with Apogee. You should be ashamed of yourself for blatantly lying to the good people in this forum. You have been caught and the preverbial foot justs keeps digging deeper into your mouth.

You have compromised your credibility in such a way that I imagine it will be hard for anyone to give anything you say from this point forward any legitamacy whatsoever.

So I guess it's time to change your user name and try again.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Damn Max you're really good at this.

However nothings changed despite your desire to discredit me.
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

Let's see, who should we believe...Max, who we all know is Apogee's director of sales, or Tubelover, who is...who is Tubelover/

This one's a no-brainer.

-Duardo
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Duardo
Let's see, who should we believe...Max, who we all know is Apogee's director of sales, or Tubelover, who is...who is Tubelover/

This one's a no-brainer.

-Duardo
Who is Duardo ?

Why would Tubelover start this thread if he hadn't heard the Mini-DAC ?

What could he possibly hope to gain ?

Who has a vested interest in selling something here ?
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who is Duardo?
It doesn't matter who I am. I'm not claiming to have heard a product that hasn't started shipping yet.

Quote:
Why would Tubelover start this thread if he hadn't heard the Mini-DAC ?

What could he possibly hope to gain ?

Who has a vested interest in selling something here ?
Well, since we don't know who you are, we don't know why you started the thread, or what your motives are. For all we know, you could have a vested interest in selling DAC-1's.

From your initial post you seemed to be simply wondering why the Mini DAC costs two bills more (although it appears to actually be closer to one). Then you claimed that the Benchmark sounded "significantly better" than the Apogee, and I asked how you knew that since the Apogee hasn't even started shipping yet, and you said it was because manufacturers make prototypes available to studios to use, which seemed to imply that you've used it. Then Max said that no Mini DAC prototypes have been made available to studios, and you said that you weren't referring to the Mini DAC. Then I asked you again how you knew how the Mini DAC sounded if you weren't referring to it, and you went back and implied that you had indeed heard it, but under an NDA. So already I don't know why I should believe you since you seem to contradict your own statements. Then Max again said that no Mini DACs have been made available outside of the company and you came back and said he's trying to "discredit" you.

Well, the way I look at it you've discredited yourself. I don't know why I or anyone here should believe anything you say if not only are you not saying who you are (which in and of itself isn't a big deal...a good number of us don't), but you are saying you've heard a product that the manufacturer of that product is saying you can't possibly have heard.

Besides, why would Max say what he's saying if it weren't true? It's no secret that there are plenty of people out there who don't like the sound of Apogee converters, and it would be pointless to try to argue with people that have actually heard them and don't like them. You've even said you've owned Apogee converters, and if you don't like the sound of them I don't think Max would bother to respond, but when your'e saying you've heard something that hasn't been released or even sent out for testing that's a pretty easy thing to dispute. I still don't see why I should believe you.

-Duardo
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

I don't really care who any of you are.....

But Max...since you are reading this thread....

I haven't seen any mention of actual Core Audio (OSX) drivers for Mini Me or the new DA. (Apogee's support page has said for some time now that drivers are forthcoming)

Are you guys planning on releasing them? I have a Rosetta, and your new product would be a nice compliment if it had the drivers.

Just wondering....
Old 19th February 2003
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamurah
Max...since you are reading this thread....

I haven't seen any mention of actual Core Audio (OSX) drivers for Mini Me or the new DA. (Apogee's support page has said for some time now that drivers are forthcoming)

Are you guys planning on releasing them? I have a Rosetta, and your new product would be a nice compliment if it had the drivers.

Just wondering....
As of OSX you do not need drivers for the Mini-Me or Mini-DAC, as Core Audio automatically recognizes the product. Just plug the Mini-DAC into the USB port, launch the sound system preference and choose the Mini-DAC.
Old 19th February 2003
Max
Lives for gear

Correction, I meant to say as of OSX v. 10.2.3 or later. If you have not upgraded to Jaguar, you will need to do so.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Duardo
Well, since we don't know who you are, we don't know why you started the thread, or what your motives are. For all we know, you could have a vested interest in selling DAC-1's.

Duardo,

I know who he is, and trust me he does not have a vested interest in selling DAC1's. I do know that he owns both our A/D's and D/A's but he is not a dealer for us at all. As far as the other claims I can't comment. Thanks.
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

Having heard both the Benchmark and Apogee, I'm surprised to see them compared. The high end Apogee (Trak2) etc... sound better than the Benchmark. I own 6 different sets of converters from 5 different manufacturers and the Trak2 rules. Better imaging, bottom and depth of field as well as having a fantastic analog front and back. I'm gonna use mine now.
chap
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear