The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic with considerably hyped highs.. Condenser Microphones
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Head

Mic with considerably hyped highs..

Im looking for a large diaphragm mic with a very very hyped high end, say above 1k.
Any ideas?
Jakob
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

Seems that most modern LD condensers have unreasonably hyped highs (to me). If you want something really really hyped, try an old Neumann CMV-563 with an M55k omni capsule. Those things are wildly bright, and it can be fun on some sources.

-dave
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

those newer Sony mics with the heat sink jutting 8 inches out, has the most exaggerated top end I've ever heard.

it's useless to me, but you might love it.
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear
The Rode Classic is very bright and also the AKG 535. The Rode can be nice for "pop" vocal sounds and I have found the AKG 535 to be good if you have a very bassy vocalist.
Of course the Sony C800 is also bright (and expensive). I agree with Mike on that score.

DW
Old 21st January 2003
Soundelux iFET7 in it's "I" (instrument) mode (it's "V" mode is much fuller and has a lot more character). It has a built in high pass filter in the circuit, and very up close usage makes it 'flat' due to the small amount of proximity. Very clear and musical, like anything from Soundelux.
Old 22nd January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

How about the Manley Ref or Gold for that matter? Mike, it depends on what pre the Sony 800G is running through. With the right pre it sounds great. With a lot of the pres it's sounds like dog ****.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 22nd January 2003
tee
Gear nut

Valvet

The Brauner Valvet has a lot of top-end, sometimes too much depending on the source. When it works it's brilliant ...... when it doesn't it can clean the wax out of ears.
Old 22nd January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

That's why he invented the Valvet Voice. I never forget when I heard my first VM-1, through a Grace Pre, on a female popish, voice, through 1032s at 95DB, ripped my head off and my eyes crossed! Granted that was the wrong combo. They're definately great mics in the right application. They probably don't need an aggressive pre in a lot of cases. I agree though, the Valvet is a great mic. My KHE through the SLAM! blows my mind...

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 22nd January 2003
tee
Gear nut

Ted,
That's one pretty pricey channel - I'd love to hear that combo ........ I'm sure it's a killer. I need to start playing the Lotto, because that's about the only way I'll ever get enough dough to own either one of those pieces, let alone both of them.

Peace,
Tony
Old 22nd January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

Well the great thing about it is there are a lot of other great combinations that, in many ways, are just as good for a whole lot less money. In fact, I think it becomes a game of splitting hairs. The funny thing is the KHE/SLAM! combo will by no means work in every occasion no matter what they cost but when it does work it does work very well. The smartest thing is to have a wide selection of good combos. Finally, there is not a mic in the world that will make bad sound good and, for that matter, good has a way of sounding good with any decent combo. I probably should sell all my gear and start looking for some better talent....

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

The Rode mics all have a hyped top end. The Classic II is nice because it has a really warm low too.

J
Old 25th January 2003
Gear maniac

A Microtech Geffel UM70 that's sounding bright?
Hmmmmm... that's odd, I am very familiar with this microphone and I would never describe it as bright...

/Mats
Old 25th January 2003
urumita

There are all types of "bright": rising high end; 3k bump; 5k bump; 8k bump; 300-500 Hz scoop or no bottom.
The C12 is commonly thought of as a "bright" mic. but it has balls and a midrange that rips too. An M249 is not commonly thought of as a "bright" mic. but it has a very nice top end. Both of these mics., in the best cases, are well balanced but have peculiarities that might lead one to say that they are "airy" or "silky", if you like these kinds of terms.
I think you asked for hyped. The Oktava (I forget the model) condensor that looks like an electric razor and makes a vocal sound like it's goin through a Marshall double stack is definitely hyped. For certain types vocal, guitar, accordeon, harmonica, fiddle (not violin) jew's harp etc.... there's nothing else that'll do what it does, it's very sensitive to handling noise and noisy in general.
Believe it or not the D-112 is hyped sounding, scooped with a 3k bump.
Akg C28? Sony C37p48?
I'm not that familiar with the new stuff
think about a dolby A card exciter mod. with an audio research limiter?
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

Sorry for the repetition, but I've gotta re-mention the Neumann CMV-563 wit M55K omni capsule. It's actually absurdly bright, like maybe as much as +12 from 6k on up. All these other mics folks are mentioning are merely bright, while this 563/M55K combo might actually give you a tan. Very hyped, very unusual indeed.

-dave
Old 25th January 2003
Gear nut

Blue Kiwi
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Head

....think about a dolby A card exciter mod. with an audio research limiter?....

Could you be more specific about what you mean here?

Yours Jakob
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Head

CMV-563 wit M55K

I can not find one in Germany so far, any ideas?

Jakob
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Guru

At 4033 is very bright. Great for acoustic guitar, but not much else IMHO.
Old 26th January 2003
urumita

Dolby is an encode decode process. Compress and hype the bands that noise is more noticable to tape and expand and attenuate on playback. Dolby A was much less sophisticated than C or B or SR etc...
There are mods done to Dolby A cards that change the freq. of the boost factor and these cards have been used to create a exciter type effect. This is used for parallel processing, you send a signal to a buss into the unit, bring it back on another channel and mix it with the original to achieve the desired amount of presence. Usually used in the recording process, A Classic.
You can create this effect yourself: send your signal to another channel, filter under 400Hz and over 4kHz, compress it to himmel fast and hard, use it as described above.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search