The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Want to upgrade my Pro Tools LE system Audio Interfaces
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Head

Want to upgrade my Pro Tools LE system

Hello, I am currently running pro tools LE through a Digi003 into my macbook pro. I successfully recorded an EP with this system and am really pleased with the results. However, I am at the point now where I want to have improved sound quality and am looking at dropping some cash to add some really good preamps/converters to my arsenal. The thing is, I really don't know a lot about how external converters work, and how they hook up to my 003. I am also looking for a preamp with 8 inputs to allow me to track drums, but alot of the high quality models I looked at had 4 inputs at the most. I guess I am in need of some advice. Also, I don't plan on dropping 20 grand, but I am still serious about purchasing a couple good pieces of gear. Thanks
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogboy View Post
Hello, I am currently running pro tools LE through a Digi003 into my macbook pro. I successfully recorded an EP with this system and am really pleased with the results. However, I am at the point now where I want to have improved sound quality and am looking at dropping some cash to add some really good preamps/converters to my arsenal. The thing is, I really don't know a lot about how external converters work, and how they hook up to my 003. I am also looking for a preamp with 8 inputs to allow me to track drums, but alot of the high quality models I looked at had 4 inputs at the most. I guess I am in need of some advice. Also, I don't plan on dropping 20 grand, but I am still serious about purchasing a couple good pieces of gear. Thanks
I'm in the same boat, and I'll tell you what has worked for me, so take it with a grain of salt...

For drums I use a Digimax LT through my 002 (or 003 in your case) rack. While these are NOT the best mic pres, it definitely gets the job done for me. I think the combination of a GOOD room and these mic pres will yield excellent results. The mic pres and convertors are much better than the stock 002 mic pres. It connects via ADAT and allows me 12 channels simultaneously (digi 4 + digimax 8 = 12).

But I also have a Universal Audio LA-610, Brent Averill 1272, and 2 API 512c's in a Lunchbox. I use those and run them through the digimax to get even better quality recordings. And, I get to use the UA, BAE, and API on everything else - bass, guitar, vocals, percussion, etc...

Hope this helps.
Old 13th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogboy View Post
I sound like a broken record .. but .. I love my Focusrite ISA 828 with the
A/D option. I like the new Burr-Brown ADC and I like the way the 828
sounds. They work particularly well for drums.

With the A/D option, you can ADAT optical into your 003. Use the 828 as
your clock master .. better clock than the 003.

jeff
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Head

I think I am going to seriously look into the Focusrite ISA 828, it looks like something that would work well for me. Are the preamps pretty high quality? I used my 003 with a Mackie Onyx attached for my EP, and the quality was good, but like I said, I want to go above an beyond that for my next album. Also, feel free to add any suggestions of other gear I can possibly add to my system, I am here to learn.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search