The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worth having an 88 key midi/USB keyboard on your desk? Keyboard Controllers
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Worth having an 88 key midi/USB keyboard on your desk?

I need a midi keyboard and I was wondering if it is worth having an 88 key midi keyboard on top of the desk.

I will be recording all my synth/piano tracks using software synths like Ivory.

Will it be too big and uncomfortable? I will be buying my new desk based on this keyboard decision.

Should I have it next to my desk instead on a stand? Will the USB cable be long enough to reach my computer?
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamorro View Post
I need a midi keyboard and I was wondering if it is worth having an 88 key midi keyboard on top of the desk.

Will it be too big and uncomfortable? I will be buying my new desk based on this keyboard decision.

Should I have it next to my desk instead on a stand? Will the USB cable be long enough to reach my computer?
I have mine on the other side of my room...I dont think I would like it on my desk..I have it on a stand with a long usb cable and, when I need it, I just pull it up close to the desk. I have it where it is at for clients to use and, so its not in my way.

88 key would be the best if you want to get those lower octives and still have the high ones...also if you will be playing drums with it youll miss some of the lower pieces if it is to small..

I hope this helps...Im looking at the M-Audio Keystation 88 ES 88-Key MIDI Controller..its cheap, and I dont need all the bells and whistles..I do have a mouse to move env.'s...check it out http://www.samedaymusic.com/product-...STAT88ES...Ill be getting mine at the dreaded Guitar center!!!
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:

I have one (Studiologic VMK-88) under the desk, on a low-rise Quicklok stand
(it's the lowest seating stand they sell, I think its in the 21 inch position). The
VMK is thin and light, and so I can pull it out to play and push it back in when
I don't need it. Cables are carefully wrapped so nothing tangles when I push
and pull, and I leave it powered on and ready to go. The only problem is that
the desk isn't quite deep enough to really get the Quicklok away from my
knees when its tucked in.
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict View Post
I have mine on the other side of my room...I dont think I would like it on my desk..I have it on a stand with a long usb cable and, when I need it, I just pull it up close to the desk. I have it where it is at for clients to use and, so its not in my way.

88 key would be the best if you want to get those lower octives and still have the high ones...also if you will be playing drums with it youll miss some of the lower pieces if it is to small..

I hope this helps...Im looking at the M-Audio Keystation 88 ES 88-Key MIDI Controller..its cheap, and I dont need all the bells and whistles..I do have a mouse to move env.'s...check it out http://www.samedaymusic.com/product-...STAT88ES...Ill be getting mine at the dreaded Guitar center!!!

Thats the same one I want!

I guess I won't put it on top. I will buy a stand for it.

No latency issues with your long USB cable?

Got a pic of your work space/studio?heh
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

i don't know is it? god the questions that some people ask
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yup..hold on
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Heres one from behind my speaker and one from the other view..kinda hard to tell distance but youll get the idea..
Attached Thumbnails
Worth having an 88 key midi/USB keyboard on your desk?-rooom-001.jpg   Worth having an 88 key midi/USB keyboard on your desk?-rooom-002.jpg  
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

cool,
I will be doing the same.

thanks
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Addict

its worth having it wherever you need it to be
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man361 View Post
its worth having it wherever you need it to be
+1..I had smaller room's where I had to pack it up after every use..a must have for the guy who does it all!!!
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Nut

You can check out more of our furniture at: Style & Function Pro Audio Furniture For our keyboard workstations we drop it down so it sits at piano playing height. Very comfortable. Feel free to contact us with any questions!
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Maniac

i ask myself this question everyday. depends how much one uses the keyboard. if you are contemplating situating it on the desk i guess it is central to the way you make music hence it should be on the desk.

with the right set-up i prefer the keyboard in front of me and in front of the monitors. it is difficult to play something into the DAw unless you can hear it accurtaely and make the necessary adjustments.

saves a lot of time to get it right first time you record because you can accurately hear rather than edit it later - or have to take two.

spek.

ps styleandfunction that is a dream set-up for a keyboard and DAW!

psps gear addict - for just a little more $$$ you could get a much better key action - genuine fully weighed feel (with no bells and whistles just better action) than the maudio 88.
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
psps gear addict - for just a little more $$$ you could get a much better key action - genuine fully weighed feel (with no bells and whistles just better action) than the maudio 88.
Which one?
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Which one?
yeah, which one?
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have mine next to my desk on a stand.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search