The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FATSO vs. Spider/HEDD tape emu
Old 16th December 2004
Lives for gear

FATSO vs. Spider/HEDD tape emu

I`m considering the idea of selling my FATSO, Xtramix and some other things for a Cranesong Spider and a Folcrom.

What I`m wondering is if the tape knob on the Spider will do enough of the cool stuff that the FATSO does that it would make sense to sell it ????? I don`t want to sell it and than find out the Spider doesn`t cut it in that department.

I really like the FATSO warmth on quite a bit of things and the trannys pretty cool too.

Does the tape knob do similar things to a signal when you adjust the settings or is it a different effect alltogether ?

The compressors are allright and I use them every session but I could find other things to use in their place + get some new stuff that`d be better.

What do you think ???
Old 16th December 2004
Gear Maniac
Re: FATSO vs. Spider/HEDD tape emu

I would keep the fatso if you can. I have fatso and hedd 192 and I love them together. I brought my fatso over to a friend's place and used it into his spider for a mix of his. The tape effects are different and work really well together. The spider tape is good alone, but with the fatso. . . You gotta hear it.
Old 16th December 2004
Lives for gear

Whoa ! That sounds like a great idea D.

tape effect into another tape effect.

Allmost like the idea of using two compressors together to get the best attributes of both.

Your right. I can`t sell the FATSO.
Old 16th December 2004
Lives for gear

I double up the tape effect of the Fatso with the tape effect on the Lavry 4496.
sounds nice.
Old 21st December 2004
Gear Maniac

Hello Kevinc,

I own a Spider, which is a mega brilliant piece of kit. The tape simulation knob is very good (certainly not a boiled down version of the one on the HEDD) but a lot more subtle than the one on the Fatso.

If you really like what the Fatso does, keep it (but definitely get the Spider). You also have the compression part which you don't have on teh Spider.
Old 21st December 2004
Lives for gear

Good advice Pieter.

It kind of seems like the FATSO`s tape and warmth features are a little more controllable as well.

Especially when you consider the different sounds you can get out of it just by driving the input harder.

I think I gotta try to find a way to keep it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search