The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Real Traps Install - other users confirm Equalisers (HW)
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

Real Traps Install - other users confirm

First of all I ordered 6 traps @ 2:30pm on Monday - they arived @ 1:30pm Tuesday!
I'm in Baltimore. That's great service!

Packaging was great - corners well protected - no issues.

Installed only one trap so far - vertical across a corner in my small VO room. The sound is awesome - these things work very well. This is confirmed by the following technical test: with no traps in the room, I walked around going "woo, woo, woo" in a low deep voice, noting the bass reverb time - then I put the trap in and did the same - absolutley maked results.
Now here is the part that I'm concerned about: if I face the trap directly and shout into it - it rings. I thought that it might be the metal frame, so I held the frame and tried again - still ringing. It must be the springs or what ever mech. holds the membrane in place. It's internal. So this is not a huge problem for my vo work, but I do put drums, EG and other things that could trigger this ring in my room - Is something wrong with this trap? Or is a small amount of ring standard with these?
Someone please yell into their mini trap and let me know, thanks. (mini - 2' x 4')

Ethan, if you're out there I'm sure you could shed some light. Thanks guys.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

Good morning - Bump
Old 15th December 2004
Mornin!

Are you sure you havent misplaced your cel phone?

But seriously, I make low hum / shouts into my traps and they dont ring..

Is it perhaps the wire's holding them up vibrating / 'ringing'?

Try hanging a light towel / cloth on em or holding them and 'woo woo' again..

Have you got them all up? Sometimes putting HALF the stuff up can reveal odd tones in a room, untill it all goes up.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

Very good suggestion about the wires, I guess they could ring - I'll try the towel idea and report back.

Not all traps up yet, but this is deffinatley a small mechanical ring coming from inside / behind the trap.

oh, I could yell into one that's not hanging and see what happens!

Thanks for the input.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Guru

Re: Real Traps Install - other users confirm

AA,

> The sound is awesome - these things work very well. <

Great news, thanks.

> if I face the trap directly and shout into it - it rings <

I've never seen/heard that. If you whack a MiniTrap it will make a thud sound having a slight low frequency pitch, but that's about it. I agree with Jules that you should check if it's the hanging wires. Though I've never heard that happen either. Whatever you find out, please let me know.

--Ethan
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

Thanks Ethan - I appreciate your input.
I'll have time tonight to examine this further and will let you know.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Maniac

If you're using solid one-strand wire to hang them, the wire will ring like a schoolbell. Use multistrand instead, and it'll go away.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

I used multi strand picture wire - 22 gauge.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by AdAudioInc
I used multi strand picture wire - 22 gauge.
Well, I guess that ain't it. heh

Maybe we can whittle it down. Does it do it with all the traps? And does it do it only when they're installed, or fresh out of the box?

In addition to holding the frame, try holding various parts of the frame. I suppose it's conceivable that one or two of the rivets are loose, so you'd need to hold the rear struts too.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Nut

I've noticed the nails in my drywall are ringing. What can I do about that?
Allen
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hethaerto
I've noticed the nails in my drywall are ringing. What can I do about that?
Allen
I would get some "RealGlue"
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

or, if you are using too much reverb, try "Real Tarps" to keep the mix position dry
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

An old archery trick to absorb string vibration may help for wire resonant ring.
Loop a rubber band around the wire. the rubber band will absorb the vibration from the wire.
I also use that on another resonant piece of metal in my VO booth.
Works great.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

RobertPhilbeck - yeah I don't have any test equipment here, but for this preliminary test I don't need it. I was able to hear the results with my ears. My goal was to decrease the low end reverb time in my room - and this trap did it. I'm glad for that.

Midigo - thanks for the ideas - still have not had a chance to get back to the testing - been busting out narration for "Power Tool Drag Racing"! educational you know! Will examine rivits and such tonight.

Thanks guys.
Old 15th December 2004
Lives for gear

Have you tried taking a real trap outside and going WOO WOO WOO, does it have the same ringing?

How about taking it to a friend's room and going WOO WOO WOO?

Could be something specific in your room.

Try going WOO WOO WOO in the bedroom, in the bathroom - do you still hear the ringing?

Cheers,
Rich
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

Just tried the woo, woo, woo - you're on to something - I think it's in my head - it's following me, making me paranoid - uncomfortable. Now I'm just scared
Old 15th December 2004
Lives for gear

here is a link you can use if you'd like to try the audio to test the acoustics of your room.

http://lisupras.com/wooo.html
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

Further tests results....yes indeed, it was the wires, duh. I should have thought of that. I'll just pull the trap down and wrap some rubber bands around the wire (maybe a piece of duct tape too), then should be good to go.

Thanks again to all.

Hey guys do you hear that?.....woo....woo...............woo
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

I've always use "HhhhhaaAOOOO"
"VOOO" has some good resonance to it.
But "WOOO" seems to have the purest tone.

Do you find that to be the case?
There sould be a chart on this.
Old 15th December 2004
Lives for gear

You learn something everyday, so exciting. Now...woo..woo.woo ok, I'm getting it now. Gonna woo my traps tonightheh

Thanks for pointing out something you normally wouldn't think about.
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by RichT

Try going WOO WOO WOO in the bedroom,
Cheers,
Rich
I tried this and my girlfriend left me!heh
Old 15th December 2004
"Further tests results....yes indeed, it was the wires, duh"

VOOOPS!

Old 15th December 2004
Gear Addict

Really guys . . don't you ever walk around in your rooms making wierd noises and listening? You listen to instruments in the live room right?

Let me give you a run down on the correct way to evaluate what is happening in your room.

1. The quiet stance - you stand still and listen for any noise getting in from the outside - head slightly cocked, don't breath

2. The hand clap - walk around clapping - listening for flutter echos. any sound that occurs up to .000005 nano seconds after the clap is .0000025 pico seconds too long.

3. The Woo! - reveals any low frequency problems. Stand at various places in your room and "Woo!" loudly, but stop quickly to hear the low frequency reverb. It helps to do this after a night of drinking and smoking so that your voice will be at it's deepest. If you have one of your grandfather's Pal Mal unfiltered, light it up for the test.

If a freind or family member happens to walk in durring one of these tests, just let them think you're screwed up - it's no use trying to explain. fuuck
Old 16th December 2004
Gear Nut

MOSTLY I JUST RELY ON "FART FART" SOUNDS.
ALLEN
Old 16th December 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:

Let me give you a run down on the correct way to evaluate what is happening in your room.

1. The quiet stance - you stand still and listen for any noise getting in from the outside - head slightly cocked, don't breath

2. The hand clap - walk around clapping - listening for flutter echos. any sound that occurs up to .000005 nano seconds after the clap is .0000025 pico seconds too long.

3. The Woo! - reveals any low frequency problems. Stand at various places in your room and "Woo!" loudly, but stop quickly to hear the low frequency reverb.
Truly a man after my own heart. You didn't mention the finger snap.
(You really should try the "HhhhhaAOOO")
Old 16th December 2004
Gear Nut

Besides fart sounds, I find that gunshot will reveal echoes very well.
Allen
Old 16th December 2004
Tried the gunshots... Not recommended

I'll try the Woo Woo in the bathroom while listening to Bubb Rubb a little later. Thanks for the link Pounce
Old 16th December 2004
Gear Nut

You guys seen the new Mazda commercial?

"Voom, voom, voom, ya voom-voom, voom-voom"
Old 16th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Really guys . . don't you ever walk around in your rooms making wierd noises and listening?
no never. i´m afraid my neighbours could call the guys bringing the straitjacket heh
Old 16th December 2004
Lives for gear

"Woo Tang clan ain't nothin' ta fück with!"
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search