The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HELP: signal to genelecs too hot
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Head

HELP: signal to genelecs too hot

Hi all,

How do you solve a signal coming out of an output pair of the Trak2 going to my genelecs being too hot. What I mean is that even if I turn the volume on the genelecs completely down a considerable amount of sound keeps coming through. There seems no way that I can lower the outputs of the Trak2, and all metering there indicates normal signals ( nothing goes in the red). Does there exist a "completely neutral" box you could put in between to attenuate the signal?

Cheers, Bob.
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

Well you could put together a passive step attenuator to bring the level down without colouring it at all. You can get an attenuator from Dact (www.dact.com). You need a stereo balanced one (6 wafer). Just wire it up to 4 xlr sockets and thats it. It is really very simple. If you want to be really picky you can use silver wire and solder. You need to use very very fine wire btw. Dact were very helpful when I asked for advice. I also find it useful for attenuating all sorts of other things in the studio from time to time.
J
Old 19th January 2003
Re: HELP: signal to genelecs too hot

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob
Hi all,

How do you solve a signal coming out of an output pair of the Trak2 going to my genelecs being too hot. What I mean is that even if I turn the volume on the genelecs completely down a considerable amount of sound keeps coming through. There seems no way that I can lower the outputs of the Trak2, and all metering there indicates normal signals ( nothing goes in the red). Does there exist a "completely neutral" box you could put in between to attenuate the signal?

Cheers, Bob.
Check out one of the boxes at Coleman Audio(www.colemanaudio.com). Its not totally neutral, but it sounds like what you need.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear