The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need more inputs.. Best way to do it
Old 14th December 2004
Here for the gear

Need more inputs.. Best way to do it

First time poster, I'll try to be brief. I have a Metric Halo 2882 running direct into Logic. I use the analog inputs for the mics I have, but I would like to use the ADAT input for 8 more channels. I am currently tracking my whole band live w/ overdubs. What is the best way to utilize the ADAT input? AD converter with seperate outboard pres, or something like the Digimax LT or M-audio Octane. I love the converters on the Halo, but good pres on any recommended units are a must. With an 8-channel pre w/ ADAT output, would that use the converters on the HALO? The only outboard gear I have right now is an FMR RNP and RNC. Any unit recommendations? Budget= under $1500 for 8-channels of pres and converters.
Old 15th December 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Need more inputs.. Best way to do it

Quote:
Originally posted by himey77
First time poster, I'll try to be brief. I have a Metric Halo 2882 running direct into Logic. I use the analog inputs for the mics I have, but I would like to use the ADAT input for 8 more channels. I am currently tracking my whole band live w/ overdubs. What is the best way to utilize the ADAT input? AD converter with seperate outboard pres, or something like the Digimax LT or M-audio Octane. I love the converters on the Halo, but good pres on any recommended units are a must. With an 8-channel pre w/ ADAT output, would that use the converters on the HALO? The only outboard gear I have right now is an FMR RNP and RNC. Any unit recommendations? Budget= under $1500 for 8-channels of pres and converters.
hello and welcome to slutland!

i am in a similar boat and i am looking into a few different pieces of gear that you may also want to look into as you make your desicion. they are the following;

focusrite isa 428 with the adat option.

alesis AI3 lightpipe unit.(you will need to provide the mic pres)

audient 008

new mackie onyx 8 chanel pre w/adat output(cant remember the model#)

presonus digimax

focusrite octopre.

i feel that the isa 428 is the best of the bunch. in your situation you could run your rnp through the isa's converters and still have room for 2 more mic pres.

heres a link; http://www.focusrite.com/products/isa/428/

good luck -jay
Old 15th December 2004

If you have a computer, the MOTU 896HD will get you there. You need the 1392 interface to set up the signal routing.

It runs about $1300 at the Center. The pre's are clean and accurate. If you want Phat pre's, look elsewhere.....

-tINY

Old 15th December 2004
Gear Head

For $1500 I would say the Audient ASP008 is the best option. The preamps on this unit are really clean so if you want color this may not be what you want. I have one of these and I like it. It cost me $1750 with the ADAT option.

The Focusrite ISA 428 (4 channels of pres and 8 channels of converters) will sound real nice but to get all 8 channels you will still need 4 more preamps from somewhere else. The ISA 428 is about $1700.

Another option is getting 2 Sytek MPX-4Aii's (just a clean 4 channel preamp, about $800) and get an 8 channel converter like the Alesis AI3 (about $300-$400). This option will put you near the $2000 range.

Good luck. I looked into a lot of 8 channel preamps/converters for a long time before I got the Audient. You can get better 8 channel preamps and better 8 channel converters but they will cost you a lot more.

You might want to do a search here on 8 channel preamps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search