The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EV RE10
Old 13th December 2004
Lives for gear

EV RE10

Not sure if this mic qualifies as high end...if not..move it..

Anyone use the RE10?

If so...what does it sound like...and what might it be used for?
Old 13th December 2004
500 series nutjob

hy randy, slum-in with the slutz again!
i do not no much about the re-10 but if it is like the re-15 and re-16 it would be worth holding onto. sorry not more help
Old 13th December 2004
Lives for gear

My understanding is that it is an RE-15 that didn't quite meet EV's quality standards for an RE-15 and was thus sold separately. I have a couple and they sound quite good. I suppose that they were just more variable than EV wanted for the RE-15. A very nice all purpose mic and virtually indestructible. They have that funny slotting to control proximity effect. There have been several extensive threads posted about them on RAP. Definitely worth checking out. I've used them mostly on guitar cabs to good effect.
Old 13th December 2004
Gear Guru

Its kind of dry- I have used it on horns and liked the way it sounded.

and of course some people like it on vocals
Attached Thumbnails
EV RE10-elvis.jpg  
Old 13th December 2004
500 series nutjob

i understand a lot of country artist's use to use them i seen them i lots of photos ( mostly the re 15 ) i use them mostly for guitar cab's also, but not always.
Old 13th December 2004
Motown legend

The high-end of an RE-10 is less open sounding than an RE-15 which is actually one of the best sounding vocal mikes ever made.
Old 13th December 2004
500 series nutjob

the 10 or the 15

i am glad to see i am not the only garhead to like the re-15
Old 13th December 2004
Lives for gear

I think that because of the apparent variability of the RE-10, it is worth trying on them out on various sources. I do have a couple of RE-15s also which I have used for vocals, so I've never bothered to try my RE-10s for that. The RE-15s are definitely worth picking up and they are still pretty inexpensive. The RE-10 you have may be perfectly fine on vocals, but you won't know until you try it.

Another related mic that is a keeper is the RE-18. I understand that it incorporates a shock mount in the capsule. Mine seem slightly brighter on-axis than the RE-15s I have.
Old 14th December 2004
Lives for gear

Variable D mics from EV were (and still are) unique. The Re10/11 same mic, RE11 had a popscreen built in. The RE15/16, same mic, wider bandwidth [QC], RE16 had the popscreen. RE20 was an even wider bandwidth version, the best of the variable D's, with more vents at lower freq to get an even smoother cancellation. The idea was to get smooth cardioid response WITHOUT proximity effect (the vents canceles the proximity effect). One of the by-products was the best polars in the biz, very consistent with freq. That's why Re20's are so popular in broadcast, you can practically talk into them sideways and they sound the same as on axis, just lower gain. Very good in front of low skilled VO talent. Until the mid 80's (when EV introduced N/DYM), those variable d's were EV's most popular dynamic cardioids.

RE27 was an NDYM mag motor inside an RE20, late 80's. They got more top end out of them and more output (+2 or +3dB?). RE27 never took off in broadcast, RE20 still dominates.

One of the problems with Variable D mics was they were very bad with handling noise (vents along the spine were completely open to the capsule and people would rub their fingers on and over it). If you "handhold" them, you are in trouble. So the Re18 came out to be a "noiseless" version of an Re11. That's what I remember......

Think of Variable D as a cardioid that has no proximity effect and sounds the same with different acceptance angles and greater distance. Behaves like an omni.....pretty cool piece of dynamic mic engineering!

Brad
Old 14th December 2004
500 series nutjob

thanks for the info brad
Old 12th July 2009
doo
Here for the gear

ev re 15 for sale?

EV RE=15 is considered and awesome harp mic. Cups nicely and gets a great Chicago sound in this position. To play 'acoustic' you simply play a few inches away. Does anyone have one for sale?
Thanks
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The high-end of an RE-10 is less open sounding than an RE-15 which is actually one of the best sounding vocal mikes ever made.
yeah the 15 is a great mic..awesome on toms
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Guru

If we are gonna talk RE..... I love the Re-11s on guitar amps, I have a few and they get used a lot.
Old 7th March 2013
Gear Maniac

I have an RE10 as my talkback mic. Picked it up for 10$ in a pawn shop in Utah.

On a total whim I decided to give it to a rockabilly singer for a record I'm making and it blew me away. Very smooth on top and can take a ton of eq. It beat out the SM7b, SM58, and an AKG C414.

Why on earth didn't i plug this thing in earlier!!! I always thought I had a nice sounding talkback mic. heh
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

I have an old RE-10 and it gets used in various places pretty often. I tend to mostly use it for rack toms.
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
I have an old RE-10 and it gets used in various places pretty often. I tend to mostly use it for rack toms.
Cool, I use mine for rack toms too. The RE-10 for elec. guitar is cool too, a bit leaner than a 57.
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

I'll share a true story from Film School. We took a range of mics to a live outdoor show of percussion, including a U87. Everybody frowned when I chose the RE10, I chose because of the super-cardiod, and the presence of nearby fans. When the tests were spliced together and put up on a serious reproducer, the RE10 outperformed all the others because of it's rejection and resistance to proximity effects. The instructor, who was literally surprised, described it as, "ready to go to vinyl". I would describe the RE10 as pro gear. It's not a 'go to' back up like the SM57, but it has it's uses.
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

This thread should be buried and the address thrown away forever, seriously.
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
One of the by-products was the best polars in the biz, very consistent with freq.
^^^This. Next time you find yourself tracking drums in a well-equipped studio, try RE15s on the toms. Way easier to get a uniform kit sound than with, say, multiple Sennheiser MD421, because of the E-V's uniform off-axis response (and its better rejection in the nulls).
Old 31st October 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
This thread should be buried and the address thrown away forever, seriously.
NOT!
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
NOT!
You like paying through the nose for sleeper gear, Pan? I sure don't.
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Guru

Too late. Mods, come kill it, quick.
Old 1st November 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
You like paying through the nose for sleeper gear, Pan? I sure don't.
How do you figure?
I have owned these mics for years. Years and years they are amazing dynamic mics and if someone can snag one I say go for it.
Own does that equate to "paying through the nose for sleeper gear" ?
As well it should be mentioned the RE10, 15, 16, 18, 20,, none of these are sleeper mics.

Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
As well it should be mentioned the RE10, 15, 16, 18, 20,, none of these are sleeper mics.
Well... if we agree that the word "sleeper" refers to products that are under the radar of the general industry population -- and then we consider how many people in the pro audio industry are under the age of ~35 -- I think it's fair to say that any of those E-V mics are "sleepers". I've never met anyone who wasn't already recording in the 1970s who knows what any of the RE-series VariableD mics are, except for the RE-20.
Old 1st November 2017
I wasn't recording in the seventies (I was born in 74) and I didn't get into the studio biz until 2007 - I have an RE15, 635a and an RE20 and fully recognize what great mics they all are.

RE15 kills on lead vocals for "character" singers (ie those without perfect voices), and the 635a is my goto for guit amps in closets - the "secret" was out long ago on gearslutz.

(though I discovered the RE15 and 635a at my local music shop when I needed rentals one day and all the 57's/58's were gone, so they pulled out the "junk box - I loved em and bought them for $50 each)
Old 1st November 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Well... if we agree that the word "sleeper" refers to products that are under the radar of the general industry population -- and then we consider how many people in the pro audio industry are under the age of ~35 -- I think it's fair to say that any of those E-V mics are "sleepers". I've never met anyone who wasn't already recording in the 1970s who knows what any of the RE-series VariableD mics are, except for the RE-20.
in that context i would agree with the term sleeper.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you figure?
I have owned these mics for years. Years and years they are amazing dynamic mics and if someone can snag one I say go for it.
Own does that equate to "paying through the nose for sleeper gear" ?

With threads like these, pretty soon "snag" won't be the term you're using to refer to the purchase of one of these things. Yes, they're quite obviously sleeper mics, as it's not the people that know them and their worth that are gonna drive the prices up, it's the guys that don't know them, read this thread, and then bid 500$ or more thinking they'll get a magic pill and are subsequently disappointed and have to try to sell them for ridiculous prices to make up for what they spent.
Old 16th November 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Yes, they're quite obviously sleeper mics, as it's not the people that know them and their worth that are gonna drive the prices up, it's the guys that don't know them, read this thread, and then bid 500$ or more thinking they'll get a magic pill and are subsequently disappointed and have to try to sell them for ridiculous prices to make up for what they spent.
i think RE 16 and 20 and still a bit picey new, but still very affordible and very great, compared to other $500.00 + dynamic mics.
anyone thinking any mic is the magic pill will be subsequently disappointed with their purchase. would you not agree?
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone thinking any mic is the magic pill will be subsequently disappointed with their purchase. would you not agree?
That doesn't matter, you're missing the point. Any bit of praise in threads like these has the potential to drive prices up and screw everyone looking out for something decent and fairly priced in the long run. This is particularly true with such gear, that's no longer made, not very abundant and still reasonably priced. People don't take your word for it, they have to try for themselves, and everyone's looking for a magic pill.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Btw, unlike what the EV literature says, all EV mics of such vintage with their Acoustalloy system are basically unrepairable once moist gets to certain structural points near the capsule and things start corroding. And they go out just like that and won't make another peep, even if they sound OK when you get them. I've had this happen on two RE-10s and a RE-11 and after careful analysis by 2 specialized techs, there's nothing to be done. They're basically expensive doorstops now and i just keep them for parts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search