The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC Fireworx- Any good
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Maniac

TC Fireworx- Any good

Hello all,

Iim in the process of getting myself a new effects proccessor, I decided it was time to get a dedicated unit after a session I did this week- Made such a difference to the clarity of the mix( I do loads of fx bounces).
I've been using just a Lexicon MPX1 and was really impressed (Can't quite afford a H3000 at the mo! - unless someones got one going v.cheap!)

However, I have seen a lot about the TC Fireworx effects unit and wondered whether it is better sounding than the MPX1

Any Ideas?

Regards

Nathan
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

TC sent me a unit to fiddle with for a few months.

It's not about "sounding good" as much as its about cool effects. Turn a dial and the guy at the mic turns into Darth Vadar, a voice in the phone, a yokel at a frat party in the next room, an alien from another planet, etc.
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

FWIW, the few times I've played with one of these guys I found it to be capable of pretty interesting stuff. I remember them to be somewhat pricey. I wonder how they compare $-wise nowadays to something like a KSP-8 that seems to be even more powerful or an Eventide Eclipse that does 96k?
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by MattiMattMatt
It's not about "sounding good" as much as its about cool effects

Exactly what it is ... a very cool box if you're into experimenting / fooling around with wacky sounding FX.
Old 19th January 2003
The Fireworx is...

They are pretty cheap these days if you pick them up used($750-950).

Peace.
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your repiles,

The only eventide I ever had the pleasure of using was breifly using a H3000- it blew me away, but there is no way I can justify paying for one at them moment,
How do the other Eventides compare to everything else, also what are the other Evenide models like in comparison to the H3000.

The effects I'm after are basically to use as little bits in tracks, NIN style really.

Regards

Nathan
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

by the time ive tried the fireworx it just was released .
i agree that its a great add on box to have . the box can do real strange sounding stuff
but the usual fxs were not that impressive , thats why i picked a lexicon reverb and the h3000 d/se .

to get those strange sounds you can try :

sansamp ( tdm plugin ) ... for me the best distortion unit in the box , running some live drums through it and you get what you want .

access virus ( keyboard module ) ... with its filter inputs you can create real cool effects . good for anything , needs some time to figure it out . a lot of people have it , most dont know what it can do . for me in fact of the 2nd hand price ... 101 %

mutronics mutator ( filter box ) ... takes some times but has a real good sound , still dont have one

distorted reality & terminalhead ( sample cds ) ... those stuff fits in everywhere you wanna make sound " STRANGE " .
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
The Fireworx is...

They are pretty cheap these days if you pick them up used($750-950).
I didn't realize they had gotten so cheap. I didn't really dig it. The "Phazer from Hell" and the "My Bass is on Fire" presets were pretty cool, but there's a lot of presets I'd never use in a million years in there. I did NOT like the 2290 simulator when I A/B'ed them. What presets are you guys digging?

I FINALLY got my mutator and I'm totally digging it as a Bass send/return and some tripped out vocal effects.
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all your help

I nearly bought an eventide a bit a go(voices in my head and all!)

Thankfully I've managed to rationallise myself again and get back with the real world!

I'm going to get an MPX1, I don't like the interface, but the basic effects are very never exceptional but always useable (an exellent description someone once used for a U87-can't remembr who though),

I've got a Nord modular which has got a fantastic Vocoder in for the more 'out there' effects.

That way I might be able to afford the Virus C I've been promising myself since they came out!

Regards and thanks again

Nathan
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

2 e-cue : tell us more bout the mutator
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up

mutronics mutator ( filter box ) ... takes some times but has a real good sound , still dont have one
That's a totally different animal. The FireWorx is a digital box with a variety of cool dial-up effects. The Mutator is a one-trick pony, but does it fabulously well. It is a true analog filter, like something ripped out of a vintage Moog synthesizer, and there is no learning curve whatsoever. You plug in, and twirl the knobs.

Between the two, the Mutator is the far cooler piece of gear.

Not that I'm Mr. "Send me your equipment," but the guys in the UK who made it sent me a unit several years ago to check out. Because you can have a filter open and shut on its own speed, you can direct, say, a boring drum part through the Mutator, and have it come out sounding like a truly funky groove. It is sooooo analog, it will afro your hair, and turn your Chinos into bell bottoms.

I would spend my money getting a good digital reverb like the M3000 over the FireWorx, and get the Mutator for spice. Then, if you were still into getting a FireWorx, I would take the advice above and look for it used -- despite its amazing versatility, I find that it's more of a toy.

-MattiMattMatt
Old 19th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Boddy
Thanks for your repiles,

The effects I'm after are basically to use as little bits in tracks, NIN style really.

Regards

Nathan
Yeah its actually excellent for this. With the new upgrade you get tons more sounds. The secret to some of the sounds is the programming(you have to modify it yourself). Also the midi implementation works great. If you got a cool controller, than you can morph some of the effects in real time(I've been doing this since the 80's).

TLA used it alot on MManson's Mechanical Animals.

The DSP7000 works great for this too.

My favorite for "distorted reality" sounds is actually the Yamaha SPX990. The frequencies actually merge better with drums/vocals than with any other unit(except maybe some guitar pedals).

It must be the 20bit technology.heh
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Guys/girls, if you have a DAW then get Pluggo.

It'll out fuck any hardware fx box.

Bow down and worship allmighty pluggo.
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up
2 e-cue : tell us more bout the mutator
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...8108#post28108
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Seriously, try out pluggo. It can do all sorts of VERY crazy things with sound. It's only $150 too. If you're afraid, download the older cracked version.
Old 27th February 2006
eso
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Boddy
Hello all,

Iim in the process of getting myself a new effects proccessor, I decided it was time to get a dedicated unit after a session I did this week- Made such a difference to the clarity of the mix( I do loads of fx bounces).
I've been using just a Lexicon MPX1 and was really impressed (Can't quite afford a H3000 at the mo! - unless someones got one going v.cheap!)

However, I have seen a lot about the TC Fireworx effects unit and wondered whether it is better sounding than the MPX1

Any Ideas?

Regards

Nathan
I have both effects units (as well as many others) and I would say that the Fireworx is a better effects unit than the MPX1, IMO. There is a lot more flexibility and control available in creating algorithms, the routing system, modulation controls (via either footpedal, modulation control knob or programmable onboard generators), effects parameters, and so on. There are more effects on there too, including less "usual" types of effects blocks (formant filter, synth generator, vocoder, resochord filter). The unit has better convertors, a lower noise floor and the reverbs are less grainy. The only frustrating thing for me is that it runs out of DSP too quickly, which means that you can't always create the patches you want to. Especially the reverb blocks take up a lot of it's processing power. And also no global signal mute (:

The later version has 400 presets and 200 user memories (plus the option to save onto cards), compared to the MPX1's 200 presets and 50 user memories.
I'm not usually a huge fan of presets, but there is a wide range on there at least. I tend to have the sound of what I am looking for in my head before auditioning sounds, so I either create patches from scratch (which is fast and easy on the Fireworx) or adjust a preset that I know to be close.

For what they cost now second-hand, it is a great unit.

My advice would be to get one, and then start saving for the Eventide
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Maniac

I had a MPX-1 and a Fireworx and I sold both (a momentary lapse of reason)... Later I bought back a second hand MPX-1 and will do the same with the Fireworx when my budget allows it.

I really like both (really don't know why I sold them)... And in my opinion it's great to have both because they're so different. They have different character and do different things good. For reverbs I think they're both really good but again, very different sounding. Some standard fx like simple delays sound - imo - better from the MPX, while the Fireworx have some wacko stuff that's really cool, especially as you say you're into NIN... You'll love it! And as someone else mentioned, the editing possibilities of the Fireworx is amazing (which might be the case with the MPX as well, if it wasn't for the stupid user interface...).

I would love a Fireworx for my Powercore!!!!!!
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Nut

Wow it's three years since I started this thread!

We've got a TC recently actually and its preetty good, does delays well and I like the filters and distortions. I've also got an eventide eclipse and I think that wipes the floor of the TC for reverbs and delays. But the TC is a good FX unit, I just wouldn't reccomend it for reverb really.

Thanks for the responses....

Nathan
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear