The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Re-20 diaphragm issue Dynamic Microphones
Old 10th July 2008
Lives for gear

Re-20 diaphragm issue

So at high SPL's I noticed that my RE-20 was picking up a rattle sound. I took it off the stand and noticed that with a slight shake of the mic that it was in fact rattling. A light plasticky rattle. I took off the grill and the wire mesh over the diaphragm and discovered that the black circular plastic piece with small holes (between the circle of copper wire under the clear plastic part of the diaphragm) was tumbling around in the small bit of circular space it has under the clear plastic part. I'm not too sure if this piece was once glued in place or what but there is no way for me to secure it or get at it for that matter. Or is the space around this black piece supposed to be tight enough for it to remain in place without adhesive and somehow the material around it has expanded. Anybody ever had this problem or know a fix?

Maybe this is a geekslutz question, but I thought I'd try the main forum first. Anyway, if this is not a repair to be done by an amateur, who would be a good mic tech to see in the Brooklyn area?

Thanks yaall.
Old 10th July 2008

Sounds like you are describing something under the diaphragm. That might be a little tough to do yourself, but I haven't taken an RE-20 apart before.

-tINY

Old 10th July 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantlandau View Post
So at high SPL's I noticed that my RE-20 was picking up a rattle sound. I took it off the stand and noticed that with a slight shake of the mic that it was in fact rattling. A light plasticky rattle. I took off the grill and the wire mesh over the diaphragm and discovered that the black circular plastic piece with small holes (between the circle of copper wire under the clear plastic part of the diaphragm) was tumbling around in the small bit of circular space it has under the clear plastic part. I'm not too sure if this piece was once glued in place or what but there is no way for me to secure it or get at it for that matter. Or is the space around this black piece supposed to be tight enough for it to remain in place without adhesive and somehow the material around it has expanded. Anybody ever had this problem or know a fix?

Maybe this is a geekslutz question, but I thought I'd try the main forum first. Anyway, if this is not a repair to be done by an amateur, who would be a good mic tech to see in the Brooklyn area?

Thanks yaall.
Send it directly to EV in Michigan. They'll make it a new mic quickly AND cheaply.

Been down that road before.

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 10th July 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe quickly... not necessarily cheaply!
Old 10th July 2008

The new owners of Electrovoice are not as generous as the old ones. Maybe if you speak German...

-tINY

Old 10th July 2008
Gear Maniac

That's the case now, huh? Sorry for the misinformation. It was always back to factory spec for nickels & dimes.....The world moves on (?)....

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 15th May 2018
Here for the gear

Even if it is an old thread, the issue is still valid.
I can confirm the OP's findings.
after unmounting the diaphragm cover ring.

The loose part is the black diffusor, shaped like a button with 9 holes.
It is seated directly under the diaphragm, in my case loosely tinkling around, ticking coil and diaphragm.

I hoped to reglue the diffusor, piercing the diaphragm at the top using the thinnest 0.30mm syringe and superglue.
Unfortunately the mesh soaked up first, no way getting the glue underneath the diffusor perimeter. While trying, I wetted the diaphragma. Gone.

So I disassembled further, cutting the diaphragm off.
It became clear that the glue used for mounting of the diffusor was inappropriate.
It was the usual green thread locker had become fully hard.

The elevated diffusor's perimeter underside is meant to be glued down to the inner hollow polepiece.
The recessed diffusor hole plane is covered underneath by a thin mesh,
giving a damped acoustical coupling to the hollow polepiece,
allowing for a controlled bass response.

Whoever tries this through the diaphragm, try the perimeter holes first.

Loosing the top yoke as described here was impossible for me, was glued perfectly.
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=55770.0
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search